marktjp

DAC is important, but does the digital source matter?

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

If RF is a problem with cables,  it begs the question why don't dac manufacturers,  offer only optical connections. :nerves:

I do understand it has limited bandwidth, but that is only for multi channel use, as I understand it, not stereo.

It's not just cables but the whole interface (output,, cable, input).

Limited bandwidth is a problem with 2 channel audio. Many current models accept 32/768PCM and DSD512.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

That is disappointing, not dissimilar to the Mytek designer stating that his DACs sounded better with an aftermarket linear power supply.

Keith

One mans disappointing is another mans straight and honest. RW is sometimes criticised for giving straight answers when others might be more devious or disingenuous for commercial reasons. 

1 hour ago, Blackmetalboon said:

IIRC there was hardly any mention of RF problems with the DAVE. 

This is what Rob Watts said;

“The mains, and the outputs are RF filtered too. On the USB, we have galvanic isolation, but that will not completely isolate Dave from the source, as it has 2pF of coupling capacitance on the galvanic isolation (all isolators have some level of coupling capacitance).”

Nothing was ever mentioned about DAVE (or any other Chord DAC)  being more susceptible to RF.

It wasn’t until the Blu MKII was released that RF suddenly became a “major” issue and this was attributed to the upscaler inside the Blu MKII. Hence one hundred pages of talk about ferrites on Head-Fi. 

The few times I have heard the DAVE/Blu MKII combination I can’t say I could identify a problem with it being to harsh or having false detail. Honestly even if there was a measurable difference caused by RF I would expect it to swamped by distortion from elsewhere in the system.

I have recently replaced a computer-to-DAC USB connection with a slightly more complex but more effective system.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/131181-computer-usb-5v-power-noise/?do=findComment&comment=2336704

The biggest improvement was an increase in clarity that has made decays and the original acoustics more obvious.

Edited by tuga

21 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Yes and of course it is used for high speed data transfer over considerable distances but as you say it is the protocols available to audio which are the issue and which cannot support the higher transfer rates. In particular it cannot support the 768khz dual data transfer from the Chord mscalers. 

There are other protocols available to audio - they may not currently be in general use in consumer audio products, but that isn't because they don't exist. For example, TOSLINK could be replaced by Gigabit Ethernet running over an optical link. There's no shortage of hardware to achieve that, so it is just a failure of the imagination on the part of (some of) the audio manufacturers. I say some of them, because I know from.personal experience that the pro audio market is indeed leveraging Ethernet technologies right now, and have been for a few years.

12 minutes ago, tuga said:

I have recently replaced a computer-to-DAC USB connection with a slightly more complex but more effective system.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/131181-computer-usb-5v-power-noise/?do=findComment&comment=2336704

The biggest improvement was an increase in clarity that has made decays and the original acoustics more obvious.

We need measurements and graphs or it didn’t happen!:D

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, tuga said:

And of course that thread links in quite nicely to all I have been saying in this one about noise. 

Super Dealer
49 minutes ago, tuga said:

A lot of high performance electronic equipment will nonetheless benefit from a better power supply.

Equipment is built to a price point.

Yet RME mange it, and state publicly that their dac is immune to power supply vagaries.

Keith

Super Dealer
41 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

One mans disappointing is another mans straight and honest. RW is sometimes criticised for giving straight answers when others might be more devious or disingenuous for commercial reasons. 

Rob Watts is marketeer in chief, ‘I added more taps the sound quality improved’, I didn’t test it but my girlfriend heard the improvement!

Keith

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Yet RME mange it, and state publicly that their dac is immune to power supply vagaries.

Keith

So they claim and yet I have tried a different power supply and I am not so sure they are right. . . 

More to come later after full listening though. 

10 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

I hope you don't mind me saying but that's a bit naive of you... That or salesman talk.

Porsche probably says that their GT3 is the nec-plus-ultra but several tuners (i.e. Ruf) will easily prove otherwise. What about a Prodrive Bentley? Surely they can design and produce the perfect car...

I have many ours of listening experience with modified gear and have seen the measurements. What about you?

Edited by tuga

Super Dealer

They are going to be so grateful.

Keith

Super Dealer

Tuga it is so easy to believe that your latest modification is an ‘improvement’ without actually testing it is just anecdote.

Keith

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Rob Watts is marketeer in chief, ‘I added more taps the sound quality improved’, I didn’t test it but my girlfriend heard the improvement!

Keith

Are you actually quoting him with your quotation marks or is that just fabrication made up by you. I really would have more respect for your comments if you had heard the products you are criticising and had something intelligent to say rather than just childish playground jibes. 

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Tuga it is so easy to believe that your latest modification is an ‘improvement’ without actually testing it is just anecdote.

Keith

Perhaps. But completely dismissing the effectiveness of listening assessments is just silly. Look up TIM.

Edited by tuga

Super Dealer

That’s what he says in one of his videos,  l  increased the number of taps and the sound quality improved,  not corroborated with testing of course.

Keith