Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

marktjp

DAC is important, but does the digital source matter?

Hello all,

I want to get a better DAC to convert the USB digital signal from my Nvidia Shield Android TV box to an analogue signal for my Roksan Ceres amp and B&W speakers.

SO

Does it matter (at all) where the zeros and ones come from. My thinking is it does not matter at all, and it is the conversion of those bits of information into analogue which is the crux of the matter, right?

If that's not correct, please explain, I know I'm able to output up to 32-bit, 192kHz using KODI on the Android box. see here https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4410/~/how-do-i-play-high-resolution-audio-on-my-shield-tv%3F  and it's just a bunch of 000 and 111s... so surely the info is either there, or not?

Thanks!

Mark.

2 minutes ago, marktjp said:

Does it matter (at all) where the zeros and ones come from.

No.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

No.

Is that a stirring spoon I see in your hand?

• Haha 2

Just now, wHIZZY said:

Is that a stirring spoon I see in your hand?

No.

• Haha 1

If the source is a TV box, then I wouldn’t worry.

• Like 1

Beobloke,

I am not sure what you mean. How does it matter whether the source is an Android TV box or a Samsung Phone or a 20k audio streaming server...?

Super Wammer

Tony_J is just a grump when it comes to digital stuff.

My view, and many others, is that the ones and noughts are still the same whatever the source but that different sources can 'infect' the digital signal with RF noise from power supplies and elsewhere and which can then get into the analogue stages of the DAC and cause extra brightness and other artifacts. A simple way of breaking this noise chain is by using an optical connection however be aware that the noise can still get transferred via power cables in some systems.

Listen and decide yourself though is the best way to decide if you hear a difference. Generally a less bright sound is better as it indicates lower RF noise.

Obviously the usual YMMV and IMO applies . . . . .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

And what exactly do you mean by that?

Super Dealer
2 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

My view, and many others, is that the ones and noughts are still the same whatever the source but that different sources can 'infect' the digital signal with RF noise from power supplies and elsewhere and which can then get into the analogue stages of the DAC and cause extra brightness and other artifacts. A simple way of breaking this noise chain is by using an optical connection however be aware that the noise can still get transferred via power cables in some systems.

Listen and decide yourself though is the best way to decide if you hear a difference. Generally a less bright sound is better as it indicates lower RF noise.

This could happen but only if your dac is really, really poorly designed.

Keith

• Upvote 1

Here we go again...

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Thanks Fourlegs, 

So and optical cable is less susceptible to RF noise than a USB... ok. I am not sure yet what bitrate/frequency the Nvidia Shield Android TV box can output via optical. I don't have many HD audio sources anyway at the moment. It would be great to be able to live switch between Optical vs USB but I doubt the Nvidia can churn both out simultaneously, and I also don't know if most DAC's allow you to live switch either. I find comparisons i've made that take a few minutes to switch between gear to be VERY inconsistent.

Edited by marktjp

28 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Hi Keith,

So would a good DAC filter out any RF noise coming in from a USB cable?

:pop: 

This is shaping up into yet another bullshill thread, but have no fear, as the bin is huge and the holiday hammer polished.:D

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

But Chord Qutest DAC is one of the best measuring according to that site you use.