The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

toms wait

saga continues

The Luxman fiasco is over.

My amp is back sounding good for about a fortnight now the left channel packs in.

I have swapped valves, input leads, speaker leads, all point I think to an output transformer.

Unless there are other tests to do.

I really really hate hifi it is such bullshit in every corner!

2 hours ago, toms wait said:

My amp is back sounding good for about a fortnight now the left channel packs in.

I have swapped valves, input leads, speaker leads, all point I think to an output transformer.

and heaven when all is working as it should - hope you get it fixed soon and sorry you are having problems .. back to the repairman methinks :(

Super Wammer

Hi,

Not aware of the Luxman Fiasco, unless its posted in another part of the Forum. What model is it, how old  and who repaired it ?

I purchased a Luxman Valve Pre-Amp CL-38uSE November last year and now have a problem with Hum and instability when the tone controls are activated. As its still under warranty its  of to IAG at Huntingdon who are the Agents for Luxman, Quad, Audiolab etc via my dealer. They have loaned me another pre whilst mine is investigated.

Alan

The amp is an Audio Innovations 500 valve amp, which has had lots of work/changes and repairs in the last year and when it comes back it finds another way to fail.

The Luxman fiasco relates to a home loan/dem that turned into a purchase by the dealer processing my card and setting up a direct debit for a loan on the Lux and then being tricky about a refund!  I eventually got a refund, when it looked like I would not get one I suggested a compromise to which he threw in the Soundsmith cartridge I am now trying to sell.  The whole travail is detailed on a post on here look up quad artera, its a long tale of charm and smarm and wriggling and one of the reasons apart from my constantly failing AI500 why I am peed off with hifi.

AMP IS FIXED

Brittle 30 year old wiring!

Shocking how crap the internal hook up wire is when you plan to get stupid priced interconnects/speaker cables etc.

I am going to go through it and replace, most of it is frazzled with dodgy insulation, dry joints, hanging on with two strands and exposed wires where rubbed or worn through.

Check your old amps boys.

I am using one of these amps and it is still working quite fine - touch wood! I expect the heat generated due to its operation in class A has a lot to do with it. Mine has had the output valves replaced for a different type (sorry forgot which ones!) which is supposed to make it more reliable. After seeing internal photos, it looks like a nightmare to work on. I wonder if it would be possible to hard wire everything and get rid of the pcb's. I forgot to mention I live in Brisbane where the temperature is a sticky 30 C at the monment.

Mike

Mine had a service with capacitors and valves replaced and then lasted only a few months until it broke again.  :-)  Apparently I was unlucky and a valve had gone which had taken out a resistor.  Anyway, it was easily fixed and I'm happy again.  Even managed to get the noisy switches sorted.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:08, toms wait said:

Why did you not go for the Luxy in the end?

On 25/01/2019 at 10:54, Tarzan said:

Why did you not go for the Luxy in the end?

To be brutally honest although very well built.  It was too big and although the sound is good.

I found it a little sterile and grey.  Accurate and deep bass etc etc but just no life or colour.

Mind you the AI500 although repaired still has issues but then its a senior citizen really.

A lot of the wiring is frayed and I decided to rewire as much of it as I can get to.

Having done that it plays but very quietly almost as if it is running on a pre-amp and the power amp side is not connected.  Which actually might be the cause intending to have a rummage around today.  Any thoughts on why a rewire would cause this other than being stupid and forgetting to connect something up or connecting wrongly which is the most likely thing.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Hi Greg what was the coause of the issue of only playing quietly in the end ? Was it as you suspected that a connection was missed or just not solid . I ask becuse it is fascinating to me when equipment does this and then blossoms out when things are fixed. I have neither the skill or patience to do this sort of work and wish you all the luck in the world that you can nurse this pensioner back to a long and musical life .

On 27/01/2019 at 10:53, bencat said:

Hi Greg what was the coause of the issue of only playing quietly in the end ? Was it as you suspected that a connection was missed or just not solid . I ask becuse it is fascinating to me when equipment does this and then blossoms out when things are fixed. I have neither the skill or patience to do this sort of work and wish you all the luck in the world that you can nurse this pensioner back to a long and musical life .

Bencat, it was a loose wire between a circuit board and one of the valves at the circuit board end, quite obvious when looking.  Whilst in there another broke so I decided to rewire the lot.  I did that over a couple of afternoons during which time one other broke.  I replaced it with solid core copper, so with Juancho's upgrades and the rewire it is a new beast altogether.  In fact the full upgrade/repair list for those interested is as follows,

ceramic gold valve bases

alps blue volume pot

quality source selector switch

5881 valves properly biased

upgraded capacitors and resistors

Juancho's power upgrade board

phono removed and remaining valves upgraded

solid core rewire

orange leds to top plate, adds to the valve glow!!

blue led under the chassis bling

balance control removed

record wiring and selector removed

It should be good for a few years now.  About the only AI DNA left is the case and transformers, even then I polished the front plate of the case and put polished aluminium knobs on.

It sounds fantastic, no stridency, no fizz or pops or burps, bass is great, stereo imaging is better than it's ever been.  It has depth and width.  Just hope this isn't famous last words!  All that is with CD haven't tried vinyl since the rebuild.  I noticed it has no background fizz like it used to have.  The original wiring was quite a state, corroded and frayed.

• Like 1

I take it you've fallen back in love with hifi again..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

I take it you've fallen back in love with hifi again..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, the re-wire was a necessity to get it to work and try and future proof it.  A means to an end if that is into it again! Most of the other stuff was done as repairs over the last 3 years or so.

Actually the whole home loan/trying/scrutinising/agonising is so pointless and frustrating that I have no intention of trying again.

Had My S500 since 1992 so it's ass old as my Son! Last time it went it was repaired by Audio Labs in Leeds. They are no longer about due to retiring so I have to hope it continues on and rely on posting it for repair. Not looking forward to that!!