HectorHughMunro

Chromecast Audio Discontinued

31 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, the one at aliexpress looks perfect for the job and a good price. The Sbooster looks very good but both the spec and price are too much.

Thanks again :^

Most welcome :)

Super Wammer

Some still available on eBay and a few left at Currys.  Mostly at or near the list price of £30 - a veritable bargain, nevertheless. 

Super Wammer

I have been listening tonight to the audio out from the Chromecast ie using its internal DAC. Initially OK but after a couple of hours it was a very tiring sound. I will try a DAC with it tomorrow I think . . . . . possibly the RME.

Do others use the digital out from Chromecast or the audio out?

10 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I have been listening tonight to the audio out from the Chromecast ie using its internal DAC. Initially OK but after a couple of hours it was a very tiring sound. I will try a DAC with it tomorrow I think . . . . . possibly the RME.

I've never tried the inbuilt dac of the Chromecast. Always used it with external DACs just acting as a digital transport via optical. 

Super Wammer
Just now, newlash09 said:

I've never tried the inbuilt dac of the Chromecast. Always used it with external DACs just acting as a digital transport via optical. 

I just thought I would try, based on the ‘all DACs sound the same’ mantra!

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I’ve never used an external DAC with the CCA.  I used it almost exclusively to listen to Qobuz, and the occasional BBC catch-up radio, with a simple 3.5mm jack to two RCA phono cable, straight into a line input on my amplifier.  (These duties now served by the Linn DS).

Now the CCA is in our cottage plugged into an AudioPro Allroom powered speaker, using the supplied short cable. 

9 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I just thought I would try, based on the ‘all DACs sound the same’ mantra!

It’s very effective through a DAC. I have just ordered an Audioquest Jitterbug on the way to see if I can get a bit more from it. 

43 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

It’s very effective through a DAC. I have just ordered an Audioquest Jitterbug on the way to see if I can get a bit more from it. 

Just out of interest how will you use the jitterbug?

8 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

Just out of interest how will you use the jitterbug?

I’ll try it in the USB power line powering the CCA. If it doesn’t work, and it may not, I’ll use it on an Audioquest Dragonfly that I’ve got elsewhere.

Edited by HectorHughMunro

2 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I’ll try it in the USB power line powering the CCA. If it doesn’t work, and it may not, I’ll use it on an Audioquest Dragonfly that I’ve got elsewhere.

Thanks. Must admit I'm quite impressed with my Jitterbug but it seems to work extremely well in some combination but is less successful in others.