Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

HectorHughMunro

Chromecast Audio Discontinued

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/18178751/google-chromecast-audio-discontinued-sale

Not good news. Other Chromecasts are still being sold but the end of devices with optical connections. 

This is a shame because this is one of the few recommendable streaming solutions currently in existence. 

I use mine and it works well, when it works!

Seems a little vulnerable to Wi-Fi issues IMHO. It'll be playing along happily enough then it will drop out and simply becomes invisible to Google Home on my 'phone. Sometimes, if I reset my Wi-Fi it will appear again, sometimes not.

We do have a mains signalling Wi-Fi booster but I don't get this kind of drop-out with other Wi-Fi devices, which seem able to cope with this set-up.

I have been doubting getting me one and just pulled the trigger, hope I'll be happy with it!

I'm sure you will, the optical connection to a DAC ups the performance considerably.

Gary

It’s way too good for £30. It’s like a modern day Squeezebox Touch - better than it has any right to be for the money.  

It was a salutary reminder of the price point that can be achieved by volume sales, assuming they did actually make a profit on it.  Mine is no longer in my main system but it’s a great product I wouldn’t be without. 

On 15/01/2019 at 18:13, v1nn1e said:

I use mine and it works well, when it works!

Seems a little vulnerable to Wi-Fi issues IMHO. It'll be playing along happily enough then it will drop out and simply becomes invisible to Google Home on my 'phone. Sometimes, if I reset my Wi-Fi it will appear again, sometimes not.

We do have a mains signalling Wi-Fi booster but I don't get this kind of drop-out with other Wi-Fi devices, which seem able to cope with this set-up.

Hi V1

I use the below wired ethernet adaptor for my CCA to hardwire it to my router. And haven't had a single drop out ever since. I also feel that with a robust and stable wired signal its performance has improved further. Add an Lpsu to power the humble CCA, and you will be rewarded with a big jump in performance. 

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01M19P4GJ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 15/01/2019 at 15:01, Friendly Ghost said:

I have been doubting getting me one and just pulled the trigger, hope I'll be happy with it!

Dude, It’s a great piece of kit and of all the money I’ve spent (on so many diff things including cables, power supplies etc and other rabbit hole drops I’ve fell into)...definitely the best £30 I’ve ever spent on anything for ‘hifi’.. You will love it!!

It replaced an Arcam rBlink/plugging in to a wire... and hands down pisses on the Arcam (unsurprising as Bluetooth), but having WiFi wireless for convenience is a big plus.

prob 99% of cd SQ in my system (very humble compared to many on here), however, an excellent piece of kit!!

i plan to drop some proper cash this year to upgrade my system, significantly, (all parts), and high on the list is an CA 851N .

5 hours ago, Amormusic said:

I plan to drop some proper cash this year to upgrade my system, significantly, (all parts), and high on the list is an CA 851N .

Just to point out there was a recent thread saying Cambridge are not updating this model in the way the cheaper £800-ish model CXN is.  Worth considering if paying new prices.

Edited by Nopiano

Hi V1
I use the below wired ethernet adaptor for my CCA to hardwire it to my router. And haven't had a single drop out ever since. I also feel that with a robust and stable wired signal its performance has improved further. Add an Lpsu to power the humble CCA, and you will be rewarded with a big jump in performance. 
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01M19P4GJ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi newlash,
Have you upgraded the power supply to your CCA? If so, which one?
Cheers,

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Newlash09 - that looks good!

So it plugs in where the normal power supply goes?

I may give that a go - TBH, I'm a bit of a shocker and still tied to my CDs but coming under increasing pressure to ditch them so I really want to get this working 100% reliably. I use it most at the moment for internet 'radio' stuff, which is glorious after listening to stuff through a TV!

Cheers

On 17/01/2019 at 13:49, Kubs said:

Hi newlash,
Have you upgraded the power supply to your CCA? If so, which one?
Cheers,

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Hi kubs :)

Iam running the CCA from a Jay's audio LPSU. And the Jay's audio LPSU is run off an isotek evo 3 Polaris power block. And iam very happy with the improvements. 

Ordered a wired ethernet adapter - we'll see if that improves things.

It will still have to go through a mains signalling adapter to reach my internet hub but hopefully more reliable than the wi-fi :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 18/01/2019 at 10:15, newlash09 said:

Hi kubs :)

Iam running the CCA from a Jay's audio LPSU. And the Jay's audio LPSU is run off an isotek evo 3 Polaris power block. And iam very happy with the improvements. 

Slightly off post but could you please let me know where you got your Jay’s audio LPS from. :^

12 hours ago, Fantasque said:

Slightly off post but could you please let me know where you got your Jay’s audio LPS from. :^

Hi Fantasque....

Sorry for my late reply. Was trying to  search online to post my LPSU'S link. I had bought mine from a friend, who originally got it from Singapore. So was trying to search for the same online. But couldn't find one. Understand that it has been replaced by Jay's audio's subsequent iterations. However, I managed to find one on AliExpress that looks exactly like the one I have. Except that it is not showing Jay's audio branding anywhere. Considering the cost it might be worth a punt :)

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32810741375.html?sellerAdminSeq=220480405&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32810741375&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=9944amp-LzDq3JQBRkig1PfWnFBVfQ1548206307576

Alternatively, there are some reputable LPSU's from a company called as 'Sbooster' being sold by "www.markgrant.co.uk" in the UK. But they looked expensive at 260 pounds a peice. So you can try the one on AliExpress and fondly hope it is indeed the one iam using, but without the branding. All the best :)

Super Wammer

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, the one at aliexpress looks perfect for the job and a good price. The Sbooster looks very good but both the spec and price are too much.

Thanks again :^