graham67

Has vinyl become mainstream?

My understanding is that Sainsbury's is now the biggest retailer of records in the UK. Having seen the prices at HMV, I am not surprised. I certainly only go there when the sales are on and I have my Christmas voucher! 

I much prefer to use my local record shop, but fear he will shortly be out of business. Online is king, whether music is streamed or a physical format is purchased. Those of us who prefer browsing the racks are fewer and fewer in number, and as mentioned above the pricing on new releases doesn't help. £27 for a record is simply too much for most people.

The question is whether records are mainstream. As a physical format? Probably. As part of music consumption generally? I'd say niche, and likely to stay that way.

No record shops near me. We have a weekly record fayre but prices are far too high for used records. Nearest Sainsburys is about 20 miles away. Nearest record shop is about 30 miles away. Problem with online is the high postage. I can't see vinyl becoming mainstream. Cds are a lot cheaper and easier to buy. Downloads and streaming is where music buying/playing is going. Hifi is a very niche way of playing music.

Edited by BeeRay

I am surprised how many new, as in freshly pressed, records there are. I have been in to a couple of record shops in Cambridge recently, one in a basement on mill road, I was expecting to be mostly s/h but over 90% new, and in the Fopp, lots and lots, its like going back to the 80's.

Edited by dave

Wether you consider vinyl to be mainstream or not, the fact is my local supermarket sells a small select set of records. 

The list posted by @BeeRay seems to me to be based on availability rather than demand. In short you stock what you think sells rather than stock a wide range and put what’s left in the bargain bin like the old Woolworths model. Hence those classic titles.

In 1994 I bought an air cooled 750cc Kawasaki with styling reminiscent of my teenage years when I was first interested in bikes. To be truly hip I needed to ride it wearing a mat black open face helmet, dark aviators and a sheepskin flying jacket. To me it was as cool as fuck but it certainly wasn’t mainstream! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

Wether you consider vinyl to be mainstream or not, the fact is my local supermarket sells a small select set of records. 

The list posted by @BeeRay seems to me to be based on availability rather than demand. In short you stock what you think sells rather than stock a wide range and put what’s left in the bargain bin like the old Woolworths model. Hence those classic titles.

In 1994 I bought an air cooled 750cc Kawasaki with styling reminiscent of my teenage years when I was first interested in bikes. To be truly hip I needed to ride it wearing a mat black open face helmet, dark aviators and a sheepskin flying jacket. To me it was as cool as fuck but it certainly wasn’t mainstream! 

Yes you could be right, but that's the point, if it was mainstream then everything would be readily available, all the current music. Just a few records in a supermarket does not make it mainstream. I will have to check my local supermarkets but I have certainly not seen any. It seems many young vinyl buyers don't even have a record player.

• Like 1

No. Its a fashion that will again disappear from mainstream when the attention span of the band-wagoners fades. Good news for us is there will again be cheap second hand records .

Edited by crisis

I'd  love it to be mainstream ....but realistically  ,vinyl's survival as a stable niche product is the best we can hope for in the  longer term .

[I'm just grateful that the  resurgence has been as big and seemingly strong  as it has ]

To be "mainstream" , you' d need everybody's new music to be released on vinyl,  with back catalogues routinely in production and available on the shelves.

That, sadly, ain't about to happen.

I only have a reasonably well spec'd record deck because I like to play most of the vinyl I bought between 1973 and 1992.  I have bought very little vinyl since then. I now have a much larger CD collection which sound good in my system. I now mainly buy cheap or 2nd hand CDs via Amazon which are as cheap as chips. Most of the outlets selling new or 2nd hand vinyl I find expensive.  

As much as I love my record deck and vinyl, if I was starting out now, I wouldn't go there, sadly.

I agree this is just a trend, like most trends it will fade and diminish. Even cassettes are becoming more popular again, can't see that really taking off. I think vinyl is nearing it's peak.

On 14/01/2019 at 21:55, graham67 said:

I thought vinyl would remain a niche interest for old farts, hipsters and the yoof of today.

However, while listening to the Archers Omnibus, I hear Kenton Archer boasting about his two new DJ decks (obviously Technics!) and buying and playing vinyl to bring in customers to The Bull.

Is this a sign that vinyl has re-arrived, or will it be now be deemed so uncool, hipsters everywhere will be burning their Project Debuts?

I would have thought appearing on the Archers probably shoots any hipster credibility that vinyl has straight in the foot...

• Haha 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:55, dudywoxer said:

....The music industry is making a bloody shambles of availability at the moment. Re issues, special issues, limited editions. They are spending too much time trying to get us to splash the cash on stuff we already own, rather than ensuring a decent range of music is available to purchase. .....

I agree with the above too . This "deluxe special edition"  stuff is all a bit of a racket at the moment.

48 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I agree this is just a trend, like most trends it will fade and diminish. Even cassettes are becoming more popular again, can't see that really taking off. I think vinyl is nearing it's peak.

Cassettes started making a reappearance a few years ago largely around the 80s revival bands (synthwave or c86 throwback). It won't amount to much but vinyl will always have a market, although as you say it'll ebb and flow.

vinyl is so 2018. Cassette is where its happening right now! 

• Haha 2