Sign in to follow this  
lordmortlock

Wanted - A valve Power Amplifier

Very happy with my crayon audio integrated but I’ve bought a Gordon Welford preamp for a play, and it’s clearly pretty special, so I’d like to hear a good valve power amp with it. 

High power SET would be ideal, silver facia essential, something like Ian’s triode corp 845 but smaller, as at 460 x 440 that’s too big for the top of my cabinet. I’m thinking Art Audio (Are you reading Brook, come on mate time you had a change ), EAR, line Magnetic, that kind of thing. It’ll need to be 15w min I think, as my old 300b didn’t quite do the business with the XL horns. 

No mad rush, I’d like to get this purchase right, so bear with me if I appear picky.

Super Wammer

Yes I am reading this Jake, but sorry I doubt I will ever sell the Quintet, & the Audiozone pre T-1 makes a perfect partner for it so I currently have the best sound I ever have had. Don't know if you realise but I had Ian's Triode for a while, probably the best looking amp I have ever seen in the flesh, but sound wise I think the Quintet is better, plus it doesn't break your back every time you move it, the transformers are massive, over 40kgs all in.

Be interesting to know what you end up with, good luck mate.

• Like 1

Dont worry mate, the comment was meant to make you laugh rather than sell your amp! 

Yeah, be interesting to see what comes up. Like I say, no mad rush. 

11 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Yes I am reading this Jake, but sorry I doubt I will ever sell the Quintet, & the Audiozone pre T-1 makes a perfect partner for it so I currently have the best sound I ever have had. Don't know if you realise but I had Ian's Triode for a while, probably the best looking amp I have ever seen in the flesh, but sound wise I think the Quintet is better, plus it doesn't break your back every time you move it, the transformers are massive, over 40kgs all in.

Be interesting to know what you end up with, good luck mate.

This pimped Quintet has been for sale for a long while https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264092544036

Love my Quintet too :)

2 hours ago, mr.me said:

Would suggest change of speakers rather than the amp. :nerves:

As relevant as ever, congratulations. 

2 hours ago, complin said:

This pimped Quintet has been for sale for a long while https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264092544036

The seller is Hayden Boardman, an audio journalist of some note and reputation.