mbabst

Linn Exakt - new compatible speakers on the way?

Hi

When does Linn add more non Linn Exakt compatible speakers to the list? The website states:

We're adding new upgrade options all the time, so watch this space.“

Since the launch of Exakt only a few (and ridiculously expensive) speakers have been added.

Should‘t Linn add some less expensive options to push it‘s technology? What do you think?

I think they are pushing Exakt.Design instead. No doubt to free up resources for Selekt and what appears to be a restructuring.

sunbeamgls posted a link to an example, possibly only, 3rd party Exakt filter maker just recently. It should be pushed more by Linn if the above is the case, and you're right there have been no new ones from Linn for quite a while.

Here's the company offering "filters for a fee": http://speakerfilters.blogspot.com/

Make of that what you will.It seems mostly SO filters but there are a few Exakt ones. 

While the situation is definitely far from ideal, what constitutes "ridiculously expensive" will be a matter of personal judgement. The fact is that Exakt is expensive, because it requires lots of DACs, processing power and amplification. And a number of 'legacy' speakers (mostly Linn, for reasons I shall come to) that are available on the second hand market are on the Exakt list.

There will always be many more speaker models on the Space Optimisation list than on the Exakt/Space Optimisation + list. This is because, from the speaker manufacturer's perspective, Exakt is a much more invasive process than SO. Exakt requires that the speakers can be configured for active (Aktiv) use, with the passive crossover bypassed. Some manufacturers (e.g. Harbeth) will refuse to make configurable speakers on principle; others will take the view that, in their market, the additional manufacturing cost of the connections and switching is not justified, and yet others may be chary about the IPR issues of the required technical cooperation with a competitor.

Timster is right to say that Exakt.Design needs more impetus from Linn. What I don't know is whether Exakt designs are processed in the cloud, like SO v2 profiles. If they are there may be a server capacity issue that prevents Linn from promoting Exakt.Design as vigorously as we would wish.

And a warm welcome here to another refugee from the old Linn forum.

David

Edited by DavidHB

Post deleted

Edited by DavidHB
double post

I know nothing about Exakt design but ‘server capacity’ cannot be an issue.  It is 2019 not 1979. Server capacity is cheaper than chips and Amazon and Microsoft to name but two will rent you all you want for a song.

Edited by Mark57

1 hour ago, Mark57 said:

I know nothing about Exakt design but ‘server capacity’ cannot be an issue.  It is 2019 not 1979. Server capacity is cheaper than chips and Amazon and Microsoft to name but two will rent you all you want for a song.

Well, server capacity (which in this case includes processing speed as well as line speed, was certainly an issue when Linn launched SO v2, though things have improved more recently. And in at least one of his posts recently, Phil Budd (Philbo) of Linn has referred to the need to manage processing resources. Some bits of the cloud, it seems, are fluffier than others.

David