robbie010

SME 3009 S2 Improved Mounting Template & Protractor

Super Wammer

First time SME owner here..... be gentle!

I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.....

I will be setting up my new (used) turntable this weekend which came with an SME mounting plate / spacer in place and as such, I bought a used SME 3009 series 2 improved (fixed headshell) tonearm to fit on it.

Now, although I know that the deck previously had an SME 3009 tonearm fitted to it, I dont know which variant and as I understand it, the detacheable and fixed headshell versions have slightly different alignment requirements.

Unfortunatey, I dont have any original mounting templates or alignment protractor and all I can find on the next are scanned copies that are not to scale.

Does any have a pdf mounting template and alignment protractor for this arm that they could kindly email on to me or is there a source of such pdf's on the tinterweb I haven't found yet??

Thanks in advance.

Super Wammer

Vinylengine has all the manuals and templates but I don’t think you need them if you’ve already got the cutout.  Alignment protractors are generic (though if you get nerdy there are different calculations with exotic sounding names).  The actual adjustment is done by sliding the arm base along the ‘bedplate’.  That is how you adjust the overhang.

Do read the entire manual as it’s a model of clarity.  Sign up and the downloads are all free.  

Please revert if I’ve bamboozled you!

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sme/3009.shtml29BCD29B-6604-4EFE-B6A6-599752AC2377.thumb.png.7b12599a3c07b034ecc70fa63f1bf328.png

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, robbie010 said:

First time SME owner here..... be gentle!

I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.....

I will be setting up my new (used) turntable this weekend which came with an SME mounting plate / spacer in place and as such, I bought a used SME 3009 series 2 improved (fixed headshell) tonearm to fit on it.

Now, although I know that the deck previously had an SME 3009 tonearm fitted to it, I dont know which variant and as I understand it, the detacheable and fixed headshell versions have slightly different alignment requirements.

Unfortunatey, I dont have any original mounting templates or alignment protractor and all I can find on the next are scanned copies that are not to scale.

Does any have a pdf mounting template and alignment protractor for this arm that they could kindly email on to me or is there a source of such pdf's on the tinterweb I haven't found yet??

Thanks in advance.

What they said ...The link to vinyl engine is probably the best 

I set up my first SME 3009 s2 imp about 2 weeks ago, so here's what I learnt...

First it depends on your model number as they changed the arm geometry at some point, if you have the arm serial number you can search for this info, unfortunately I didn't, in which case go by the knife edge bearing; if it's nylon it's the later model and uses Baerwald alignment, if it's earlier it's Stephenson. 

You can print an alignment template as mentioned above, I tried but found it really difficult to see properly.

I ended up buying one of these 

https://www.analogueseduction.net/alignment-tools/analogue-studio-mirrored-cartridge-alignment-protractor.html

Good luck.