The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Chip Perry

LInn 530 Speakers get Katalyst Upgrade?

I reckon I’m the odd one out. I own 530s and 520s, both of which I’m very happy with. I changed to the 530s from a pair of 350 Katalysts. Obviously the 530s are not as capable a speaker but actually, in terms of enjoyment I’m very happy with the change. The 530s are in my man cave so I got to choose the colour - blueberry.

G 

On 14/01/2019 at 18:36, Paulssurround said:

My understanding is that your whole Exaktbox will have a new 5 year warranty. 

Nice one Akamatsu

With my Akubariks, the modules were supposed to go back to the factory for the Katalyst upgrade.

I was present when 2 different guys in London upgraded their 350’s to Katalyst, and the new circuit boards were installed right in the Linn owners homes, by the Linn dealer.

Yes, that’s what happened when I upgraded the 350s I used to own.

G

Super Wammer
On 14/01/2019 at 20:59, DavidHB said:

In which case they might liker to be forewarned that, while 'all' that is involved is the replacement of the single PCB in the Exaktbox, that board is, IIRC, held in place by some 40 screws ...

David

Yes, somewhat fewer for the 6 channel version as many of the screws are related to the phono and XLR sockets.

I would estimate 20 mins for a 6 channel and 30 mins for 10 channel, by your dealer.

I think my dealer said 43 screws in the 10 to be precise! All told, including testing, it took him nearly 2 hours. But that could be with interruptions and no idea how complicated it was for them to test it. I think they hooked it up to a Selekt but other than that, no idea.

They also said only the new board had a new warranty. The power supply was untouched so that isn't included,

4 minutes ago, timster said:

... no idea how complicated it was for them to test it.

Hooking up 10 channels of Exakt (and getting it right!) is not a trivial task. Even for Chris of Hidden Systems, who does that kind of thing all the time, the connection and testing part of my upgrade took, IIRC, something like 20 minutes. And then you need time to do some 'proper' listening as well.

David

40 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Yes, that’s what happened when I upgraded the 350s I used to own.

Didn't know that you'd changed the 350s, Gonzo. What did you replace them with - something big and beefy from B&W? :) Do you still have the 520s in the other room?

David

I replaced the 350s with a pair of 530s and yes I do still have the 520s in the other room. All works rather well actually😁

G

43 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I replaced the 350s with a pair of 530s and yes I do still have the 520s in the other room. All works rather well actually😁

Well, that's a piece of news to make all those who look down on the 5 Series as 'lifestyle' speakers pause for thought. I'm now hoping even more that Linn do a Katalyst upgrade for the 530s, even though, for reasons you have directly experienced, I am never likely to benefit from it myself. The current news of my system, by the way, is over on the LP12 section, if you have't been there yet, in the thread entitled "What upgrade?".

David 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

G

What state of tune were your 350s please Gonzo?

Sorry, been on holiday. My 350s were Exakt Katalyst spec.

G

• Like 1

I attended the "Music Matters" event at Definitive Audio in Seattle last night. Gilad and Katie from HQ were in attendance. I got to talking with Katie who, as it turns out, also has a 530 system. I asked her about the prospect of Katalyst for our beloved 530s. Sadly, she reported that it wasn't in the works at this time, despite her bugging the decision makers on this. It seems that Linn are too busy working on other projects. So, it looks as though 530 Katalyst won't be happening this year. :(

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I attended the "Music Matters" event at Definitive Audio in Seattle last night. Gilad and Katie from HQ were in attendance. I got to talking with Katie who, as it turns out, also has a 530 system. I asked her about the prospect of Katalyst for our beloved 530s. Sadly, she reported that it wasn't in the works at this time, despite her bugging the decision makers on this. It seems that Linn are too busy working on other projects. So, it looks as though 530 Katalyst won't be happening this year. :(

Sorry to hear that the 530’s will not be Katalyst this year.

It was a great pleasure joining you for the drive to Seattle, and having a great time at Definitive Audio’s “Music Matters” 2019 event.

It was a stellar day, visiting with Ropedrag and his fantastic sounding 242’s, and then on to the show.

Thank you for doing the driving duties, the great conversation,  and the wonderful ramen lunch 🍲🍜🥢

It was a bit of a challenge driving home in a massive snow storm, but well worth the trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chip Perry said:

Rats. Just rats.  

I promise you I did get on my knees and beg. I did my best.

Let's see what happens this spring, summer, and fall. Once SO2 for Exakt is rolled out, and the Selekt upgrades and mods are launched, perhaps the engineers will need something to work on.

Yep. Let's remember the 530's sound pretty good as is.  I will be demoing them for the audiophile group in April: a great bunch of very experienced tubers and analog sources.  Should be interesting.

Still I wonder how Linn sells new 530's today without the obvious (to me) Katalyst upgrade? Do their retailers infer the upgrade is down the road? That would be my question if i was buying today vs. 3 years ago.