Chip Perry

LInn 530 Speakers get Katalyst Upgrade?

Very helpful information. Much appreciated. I would be very keen to see a schematic of what is inside a 530 speaker.

31 minutes ago, Chip Perry said:

Very helpful information. Much appreciated. I would be very keen to see a schematic of what is inside a 530 speaker.

No doubt, but I don't think that Linn publish that kind of information any more, even in the dealer-only section of their website.

Some things we do know. The Katalyst boards are very different from their predecessors. Katalyst uses a different DAC chip and a much more powerful FPGA (processor). The boards are made using Linn's new surface mount technology, and many of the components are tiny; this gives the boards a more 'open' look, and much more importantly enables Linn to design boards which are less crowded and therefore less noisy than previous versions. I'm guessing here, but in other Linn integrated Exakt speakers the amplification is on separate boards which are not changed in the upgrade, so the same may be true of the 530s.

David

6 hours ago, DavidHB said:

No doubt, but I don't think that Linn publish that kind of information any more, even in the dealer-only section of their website.

Some things we do know. The Katalyst boards are very different from their predecessors. Katalyst uses a different DAC chip and a much more powerful FPGA (processor). The boards are made using Linn's new surface mount technology, and many of the components are tiny; this gives the boards a more 'open' look, and much more importantly enables Linn to design boards which are less crowded and therefore less noisy than previous versions. I'm guessing here, but in other Linn integrated Exakt speakers the amplification is on separate boards which are not changed in the upgrade, so the same may be true of the 530s.

David

Hi David,

Back in September 2015, I was in the Linn factory, in the speaker assembly section.

Linn was assembling a pair of 530's, and as you can see, we have a naked pair of 530's, that don't have their Fabrik cover. ;-)

I don't recall seeing any amplifier module on the 530's like the Akubariks, so assume the Exakt amplifer electronics are internal.

I would think it very unlikely that the speakers would have to go back to the factory for the Katalyst upgrade,  so I assume that the upgrade would be a circuit board upgrade, like the Katalyst upgrade for the 350's

IMG_1228.thumb.jpg.50df3a093fa8363be8b93041b0d559ac.jpg

7 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I would think it very unlikely that the speakers would have to go back to the factory for the Katalyst upgrade,  so I assume that the upgrade would be a circuit board upgrade, like the Katalyst upgrade for the 350's

Hmmm. I had the impression my Exaktbox has to go back to the factory. If not, as you suggest, then my dealer can order the board, and once it arrives, I can take it in, get it fitted, and bring it home - all in one day?

42 minutes ago, timster said:

Hmmm. I had the impression my Exaktbox has to go back to the factory. If not, as you suggest, then my dealer can order the board, and once it arrives, I can take it in, get it fitted, and bring it home - all in one day?

Good news, timster. My Exaktbox upgrade was simply a board change, done by my dealer here at my home. On that or another occasion he also showed me the upgraded rear modules for the Exakt Akubariks, which he was also going to fit in situ.

David

• Like 1

Thanks David. I shall pass that on to my dealer when I call them tomorrow. I have a feeling they have not done any Kat upgrades. AFAIK most of their business in upgrades are LP12 related.

2 hours ago, timster said:

Yes, the Katalyst Exaktbox upgrade was done by the Linn dealer, not at the Linn factory

It was just a matter of swapping the circuit boards for the new Katalyst board.

So you should not be without music. 🎶🎵

You should notice an improvement in sound quality as soon as you plug in the Katalyzed Exaktbox.  

38 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Yes, the Katalyst Exaktbox upgrade was done by the Linn dealer, not at the Linn factory

It was just a matter of swapping the circuit boards for the new Katalyst board.

So you should not be without music. 🎶🎵

You should notice an improvement in sound quality as soon as you plug in the Katalyzed Exaktbox.  

Looking forward to it! It does raise another question though. I presume only the new board will come with a new 5 year warranty. The rest (ie. power supply and any other boards and parts) won't, seeing as they aren't part of it?

1 hour ago, timster said:

Looking forward to it! It does raise another question though. I presume only the new board will come with a new 5 year warranty. The rest (ie. power supply and any other boards and parts) won't, seeing as they aren't part of it?

My understanding is that your whole Exaktbox will have a new 5 year warranty. 

42 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Here's one of my 530s when first delivered. You can see the module as it is separated from the speaker.IMG_6237.jpg.25e6908541bbe0bbc1a272185b04e2ce.jpg

Nice one Akamatsu

With my Akubariks, the modules were supposed to go back to the factory for the Katalyst upgrade.

I was present when 2 different guys in London upgraded their 350’s to Katalyst, and the new circuit boards were installed right in the Linn owners homes, by the Linn dealer.

5 hours ago, timster said:

Thanks David. I shall pass that on to my dealer when I call them tomorrow. I have a feeling they have not done any Kat upgrades. AFAIK most of their business in upgrades are LP12 related.

In which case they might liker to be forewarned that, while 'all' that is involved is the replacement of the single PCB in the Exaktbox, that board is, IIRC, held in place by some 40 screws ...

David

3 hours ago, timster said:

You should be fine. As far as I understand it my KDS update came with a new five year warranty that covers the existing PSU.

Mick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidHB said:

In which case they might liker to be forewarned that, while 'all' that is involved is the replacement of the single PCB in the Exaktbox, that board is, IIRC, held in place by some 40 screws ...

David

Haha! I shall warn them of the risk of RSI then! :geek: