Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

BillShatnersToupee

Wifi Hifi - a user's thoughts after 2 years

Super Wammer
On 10/01/2019 at 10:35, BeeRay said:

But BBC play the same stuff over and over again. Radio Paradise was the closest but they are just prerecorded, once you start getting them repeated it's time to leave. 

Radio Paradise is pre recorded but it is by no means on a loop . Currently you can download 12 hours of Flac high quality music which can be cached and replayed. From the Live Feeds they have the standard mix then four other mixes all of which can be streamed so you get a huge choice of music for different moods .

1 hour ago, bencat said:

Radio Paradise is pre recorded but it is by no means on a loop . Currently you can download 12 hours of Flac high quality music which can be cached and replayed. From the Live Feeds they have the standard mix then four other mixes all of which can be streamed so you get a huge choice of music for different moods .

Maybe it has changed, I certainly was getting repeats. But I don't really see the difference from streaming, on Deezer you can pick lots of difference streams if you want. The flow is quite good as it picks similar music to what you play. Streaming I have more control and I'm not really into pop or mainstream modern music. 

Just trying it now, the website has changed. A curious mix of music, seems too disjointed to me, some may like it but it's too diverse for me. It cut out completely once for some reason. 

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer
22 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Maybe it has changed, I certainly was getting repeats. But I don't really see the difference from streaming, on Deezer you can pick lots of difference streams if you want. The flow is quite good as it picks similar music to what you play. Streaming I have more control and I'm not really into pop or mainstream modern music. 

Just trying it now, the website has changed. A curious mix of music, seems too disjointed to me, some may like it but it's too diverse for me. It cut out completely once for some reason. 

One huge difference Radio Paradise unless you actively choose to change it is free . I  am of the opposite opinion to you and want and need to have as diverse a range of music as possible . If the music is all of a similar style and genre then I last about ten minutes before I have to switch over to something more interesting .

With regards to listening then I doubt we are listening to RP in the same way . I use my Logitech Media Server and the RP App which streams out to various players around the house in high quality Flac . I often have this on as my main background music while doing other things and it has not dropped or stopped for a very long time . I have no idea what the internet online stream is like never use it.

4 hours ago, bencat said:

One huge difference Radio Paradise unless you actively choose to change it is free . I  am of the opposite opinion to you and want and need to have as diverse a range of music as possible . If the music is all of a similar style and genre then I last about ten minutes before I have to switch over to something more interesting .

With regards to listening then I doubt we are listening to RP in the same way . I use my Logitech Media Server and the RP App which streams out to various players around the house in high quality Flac . I often have this on as my main background music while doing other things and it has not dropped or stopped for a very long time . I have no idea what the internet online stream is like never use it.

Yes it's free that's true. It's ok if they play music you like, I played it for about 2 hours yesterday, they had a few ones that were new to me, can't say a I really liked any of them, it was ok for background music. Maybe it was because I was playing flak that it dropped out, I don't use wifi so it is very rare to have  drop out when I'm streaming. I prefer albums anyway than just single tracks, I never use features such as random play. There is too much talking on there as well. I prefer Deezer flow because it plays music similar to what I play so you are not getting a load stuff I don't like but sometimes I have to skip it on or indicate I don't want to hear it again. The annoying thing is you can go forward on RP but not back.

So you are saying you can't play more than 2 tracks off an album before getting bored?

Could I ask about Bluetooth?

I'd not caught up with the several little DAC Bluetooth devices out there that allow a very easy (no network faff) wireless connection from, typically, a Smartphone to one's Hi-Fi.

However, my understanding is that Bluetooth cannot support full bitrate CD audio, let alone higher resolution digitial streams?

Does anyone know if this is still true? Will Bluetooth ever be able to support at least CD quality bitrates...?

11 minutes ago, v1nn1e said:

Could I ask about Bluetooth?

I'd not caught up with the several little DAC Bluetooth devices out there that allow a very easy (no network faff) wireless connection from, typically, a Smartphone to one's Hi-Fi.

However, my understanding is that Bluetooth cannot support full bitrate CD audio, let alone higher resolution digitial streams?

Does anyone know if this is still true? Will Bluetooth ever be able to support at least CD quality bitrates...?

Bluetooth is not as good as streaming in terms of sound quality. You can 'cast' to your hifi (where your phone/tablet acts only as a remote) very cheaply using a Google Chromecast Audio. These are £30 in Currys, however I believe are about to be discontinued. This would be a cheap way of doing what you want, assuming you use Spotify etc. to the hifi.

I've had an Arcam rBlink Bluetooth in the past which is about 5x more expensive, but doesn't sound as good.

Other, more expensive, streamers will also do the same thing, but that's just a super-cheap way of doing it. I'm sure someone will be along with a more techy answer to help.    

I did give Radio Paradise another go, in fact twice. The music selection was more to my taste the second time, maybe because it was in the evening? Anyway on both times after about 1 hour the site frooze up, so on all 3 occasions the music just stops, have to go out and back in or keep pressing play until it starts again, this seems to be a site problem, similar to iplayer. I have never had this problem on Tidal which I had for a 3 month trial, this is the same sound quality I think? The third time I tried it I did not like the music generally. I will probably try at it occasionally, it does throw up the odd artist I like which I have not heard before. I may give Tidal another go as they have a special offer again.   

I'm toying with the idea of getting into the world of streaming and buying something like a Moon Ace or Hegel Rost. But I'm afraid I don't understand a word of what one or two of you who've posted on this thread are saying. It's all sounding very complicated, too complicated for my ageing brain to cope with.

At present I have a turntable, a CD player and a Teac tuner which gives me FM, DAB and internet radio, the last via WiFi. I also download from iTunes onto my iPad and iPhone, for in-car and in-flight entertainment.

I believe that to connect by Ethernet will require a wire running from the streamer to my router. This won't be possible as the hifi is in my living room, and the router is in the study upstairs. The internet radio occasionally drops out, a streamer would do likewise, so that's one problem to face. What others might I find?

Tidal and Qobuz I know about, but what's Roon? Where does that come in? Does it cost, or is it something that comes automatically with most streamers? This thread has got my head spinning, particularly the posts that use acronyms and mention equipment that isn't found in the shops or on the websites of the mainstream hifi dealers. It's made it all seem more complicated than it's worth.

Super Wammer

spotify is also very good and you can just get a sonos connect , plug it into any amp and it will sound pretty damm good . you control it from your smartphone 

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/sonos-connect?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodX9p86O4AIVDrftCh1GIwaTEAQYBCABEgIDUvD_BwE

9 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

I'm toying with the idea of getting into the world of streaming and buying something like a Moon Ace or Hegel Rost. But I'm afraid I don't understand a word of what one or two of you who've posted on this thread are saying. It's all sounding very complicated, too complicated for my ageing brain to cope with.

At present I have a turntable, a CD player and a Teac tuner which gives me FM, DAB and internet radio, the last via WiFi. I also download from iTunes onto my iPad and iPhone, for in-car and in-flight entertainment.

I believe that to connect by Ethernet will require a wire running from the streamer to my router. This won't be possible as the hifi is in my living room, and the router is in the study upstairs. The internet radio occasionally drops out, a streamer would do likewise, so that's one problem to face. What others might I find?

Tidal and Qobuz I know about, but what's Roon? Where does that come in? Does it cost, or is it something that comes automatically with most streamers? This thread has got my head spinning, particularly the posts that use acronyms and mention equipment that isn't found in the shops or on the websites of the mainstream hifi dealers. It's made it all seem more complicated than it's worth.

Hi I was in the same mind as you I am nearing my bus pass age lol and all the technical things are sometimes beyond me but I brought a Hegel H190 with a built in streamer last June this December I decided to have a go at this streaming lark so joined spotty and tidal. spotifys app allows you to work the Hegels  built in streamer from your phone or tablet tidal I had to down load a app called upnp you can then access tidal through that on either phone or tablet now my modem is in one of my bedrooms upstairs at the front of the house with a full desktop computer system my lounge is round the back I know its a bit of a faff but I drilled holes through my other 2 bedrooms to the outside wall then pinned the cable to the wall drilled in to my lounge wall to connect the router direct to the amp you only have to do it once and you can't see the cable at all I used white trunking on the white skirting made a really neat job hardwiring is best as WiFi connections can be a pain in the butt all my tv's are hard wired to the modem as well .

Super Wammer

An even easier way to sort domestic ethernet is to buy a tp link kit, which uses your mains wiring to run Internet/networking to remote locations. Simply plug the base unit into a socket near your router and then use a short network cable between it and your router. Pair the satellite unit to the parent unit then move the satellite to the room where you need it, plug it in and then run a network cable from it to your streamer. The tp links also transmit WiFi so act as a range extender. 

40 minutes ago, Lurch said:

An even easier way to sort domestic ethernet is to buy a tp link kit, which uses your mains wiring to run Internet/networking to remote locations. Simply plug the base unit into a socket near your router and then use a short network cable between it and your router. Pair the satellite unit to the parent unit then move the satellite to the room where you need it, plug it in and then run a network cable from it to your streamer. The tp links also transmit WiFi so act as a range extender. 

Sounds good. But the study and the living room are on different circuits. Would it still be possible?

Super Wammer

In, that case tplink do a, range extender that will work with your wiifi router so you can jump circuits. 

I have tp link in my downstairs flat and my tennants upstairs on a serate circuit use a WiFi range extender to transfer the signal into their flat.

Though you may be okay as your running through a common fuse box so potentially the +ve or - ve busbar should carry the signal to the downstairs circuit. 

Edited by Lurch

13 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

Sounds good. But the study and the living room are on different circuits. Would it still be possible?

I’m sure someone on the Wam has tested this and it worked fine. I can’t for the life of me remember who it was though!

Quick search bought this up...

Edited by Blackmetalboon
Found the thread.