BillShatnersToupee

Wifi Hifi - a user's thoughts after 2 years

17 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

But BBC play the same stuff over and over again. Radio Paradise was the closest but they are just prerecorded, once you start getting them repeated it's time to leave. 

Surely there are other appts, other than iPlayer?

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

Probably, it's not me who uses it. I don't use Apps.

Fair play. As I don't stream and don't have wi-fi, just a suggestion on the possible alternatives to iPlayer.

10 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Fair play. As I don't stream and don't have wi-fi, just a suggestion on the possible alternatives to iPlayer.

I have used Spotify, Deezer and Tidal. I don't use wifi to play them but you can. Here are some: https://freeappsforme.com/best-music-without-wifi-apps/

7 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I have used Spotify, Deezer and Tidal. I don't use wifi to play them but you can. Here are some: https://freeappsforme.com/best-music-without-wifi-apps/

:^

My use of the BBC iPlayer Radio is not as limited as you seem to think (BBC R3, R4, 6, R4EX and even occasional R2 for Trevor Nelson) and it encompasses news, current affairs, food & drink, history, comedy, drama, science, biography etc.

I also did NOT state that I ONLY use the BBC iPlayer Radio app.

I stream from Radio Paradise, Spotify, Amazon Prime and my own rips of many hundreds of my own CDs including music, books, drama and documentary subjects.

I also surf many internet stations for a diversity of genres from big band, samba, bluegrass, soul, Reggae to 50s and 60s ‘crooners’ and much else besides.

Edited by chebby

Just in with some hot news :)

iam running a Metrum Ambre as roon end point from a headless PC running roon server. The pc is also running a audiophilio audio optimiser. 

And I've tried both my humble CCA and the Metrum Ambre as roon end points going into in a AMR dp-777 as dac. 

And before I mention which sounds better. I have to mention that both the CCA and the Metrum Ambre are running off a high quality power rail with very clean power. And the Metrum is outputting via aes ebu via AQ cinnamon cable. And the CCA via a AQ cinnamon mini optical cable. So I guess both on are a very level playing field. And the CCA is fed by a hardwired ethernet LAN cable just like the Metrum Ambre. And both feeding off the same router as the roon server. So very level playing field all round. And to my ears, I wouldn't be able to make out between the two in a blind test. Perhaps a little placebo  would nudge me into saying that the Metrum might have a slightly  blacker background. But I would not  vouch for  it.  I've only tried with FLAC, as I don't have any DSD tracks on my Nas. But I guess the proper power chain feeding both, has nullified the advantages of a fully optimised Metrum Ambre. 

I would like to conclude that the boffins at Google have designed a great streamer. And just left the power end to end users to optimise to get better results. A very wise decision I would say. 

If I had tried this in my friends room, I would have probably never bought the Ambre and saved me some moolah. 

Just in case someone is not familiar with hardwiring a CCA to ethernet, below is the link from Amazon. Iam from India, so this is from the amazon India site. But there could be something similar on the UK site too  :)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01M19P4GJ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Though the above item says it is for Amazon fire stick, it just works a charm even with the CCA. All the best to optimising your respective  CCA's. Google just shows how deep the BS runs in this hobby :D

And just for clarification below is my power chain feeding both the CCA and the Metrum . But I suspect that it might not be needed in entirety to replicate my results :)

500va CVT > 500va ultra isolation transformer > isotek Evo 3 Polaris power filter > isotek Evo 3 power cable > Jay audios linear PSU > Google Chromecast .

I might have certainly gone overboard with the above chain. But iam sure  that adding isotek evo3 Polaris and a LPSU have given me the maximum benefits. Iam getting such great soundstage, imaging and tonality from the CCA, that I never heard before. So please try optimising your power supplies before junking the CCA in favour of a dedicated streamer from a pedigreed hifi brand. 

Maybe I should add to the above that if one were to plug both the CCA and the Metrum Ambre straight into the wall socket. Then the Metrum will definitely sound better than the CCA. As it has better optimised power supplies and also a femto clock built in . In my above experiment, I guess I removed that advantage by providing very clean power to the CCA though at considerable expense.

Streaming can mean different things to different people. In my original context, I used it to mean streaming my own purchased content (ripped CDs) from a local storage solution to my replay devices (active speakers). I don't 'do' internet streaming, least not as a serious source. I am of a mindset that if I want an album, I'll buy it, so I've always got it and not rely on the whims of a music publisher to decide I'm no longer to have it.

Case in point in was last night when I went on Apple Music last night looking for the 30th anniversary expanded War Of The Worlds album which had all the outtakes and unused dialogue. I didn't buy it when it came out because I didn't really want it enough to justify the cost, plus it's always been available for streaming (certainly was still there 6 months ago). But now it's gone. The only thing available is the standard album, the shorter highlights album and the 2012 re-recording.

It's obviously normal that albums are being added and culled in probably equal measures almost continually. No thanks, that's not for me.

3 hours ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Case in point in was last night when I went on Apple Music last night looking for the 30th anniversary expanded War Of The Worlds album which had all the outtakes and unused dialogue. I didn't buy it when it came out because I didn't really want it enough to justify the cost, plus it's always been available for streaming (certainly was still there 6 months ago). But now it's gone. The only thing available is the standard album, the shorter highlights album and the 2012 re-recording...

Still there on my Apple Music (and i stopped subscribing two weeks ago) ...

CEA4777B-D35B-4767-9847-6EC192ABE721.jpeg

AD158540-E565-4C91-835C-F7BFEC3B4E2B.jpeg

Edited by chebby

I have never downloaded the album, or purchased it, so I guess it must still be available on Apple Music as the above came from a Google search ...

F89A558E-AB3E-4CEB-8282-ACC7FEF76B0D.png

I know its not streaming but YouTube have some top quality music videos some of the house music videos sound stunning through optical from the tv in to my hegels on board dac I also subscribe to tidal Hifi and spotify I do like spotifys lay out to tidals though sometimes it can be a bit of a faff still enjoy listening to vinyl and CD think I always will.

4 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

I know its not streaming but YouTube have some top quality music videos some of the house music videos sound stunning through optical from the tv in to my hegels on board dac I also subscribe to tidal Hifi and spotify I do like spotifys lay out to tidals though sometimes it can be a bit of a faff still enjoy listening to vinyl and CD think I always will.

Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube are awesome SQ. mix of all different performers they have there so something for everyone.  

Tash Sultana is great. 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 01:47, chebby said:

Still there on my Apple Music (and i stopped subscribing two weeks ago) ...

It might say 'Deluxe Edition' but it originally had had 6 or 7 CDs to it with a load of outtakes and unused dialogue. That's all gone, i.e.: they're choosing to no longer stream it. All that's being streamed are the original 15 tracks. Sorry if I was unclear. 

Super Wammer
On 10/01/2019 at 10:35, BeeRay said:

But BBC play the same stuff over and over again. Radio Paradise was the closest but they are just prerecorded, once you start getting them repeated it's time to leave. 

Radio Paradise is pre recorded but it is by no means on a loop . Currently you can download 12 hours of Flac high quality music which can be cached and replayed. From the Live Feeds they have the standard mix then four other mixes all of which can be streamed so you get a huge choice of music for different moods .