Andy Tierney

Recommend Speakers

I second the Triangle suggestion and have just returned my Triangle Titan Esprit and Magellan Duettos to upgrade for an Audio Physic Codex. The Triangle Speakers are very transparent and offer great music for the price (I have been using Mark at Elite Audio and he was very helpful).

Super Wammer

As my previously post with a link a few days ago about a Monitor Audio 700PMC, from 80’s, shows that the speakers gone very quickly, that means something...lucky who sold them so fast and lucky who bought them. 

Edited by Beckenham

Super Wammer

Another British beauty, a good price and looks in good condition ( in eBay we never know), but...

proac tablette ebay.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beckenham said:

Another British beauty, a good price and looks in good condition ( in eBay we never know), but...

proac tablette ebay.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProAcs are a good shout.

I would also add Neat to the list.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 09:34, plasticpenguin said:

Hard to drive speakers such as Totems,

Am surprised at this - they are 87db sensitivity (average) and 4 ohms impedance and they recommend amps of 20 to 80 watts and the AR is well in the middle of their recommendation - at the end of the day the best thing to do is to try your AR on the end of whatever you think fits the bill to see if it does the business :) 

12 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

ProAcs are a good shout.

I would also add Neat to the list.

Hey behave you poo pood the Totems and are saying a less sensitive speaker (the anniversary tablet is 86.5 db and 8 ohms) .. the Dynaudio Emit 10 or 86db and 6 ohms .... so if these are not going to be good with the AR65 then it looks as though it will struggle with the Proacs as well.

At the end of the day the answer is to get your ears around as much as you can and pick which speakers you like best (do a list) and then see if the A65 works ok into them ... 

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

Hey behave you poo pood the Totems and are saying a less sensitive speaker (the anniversary tablet is 86.5 db and 8 ohms) .. the Dynaudio Emit 10 or 86db and 6 ohms .... so if these are not going to be good with the AR65 then it looks as though it will struggle with the Proacs as well.

At the end of the day the answer is to get your ears around as much as you can and pick which speakers you like best (do a list) and then see if the A65 works ok into them ... 

I poo pood Totems because for a higher end Arcam, like an A38 they are a great match. For a 40 watt Arc nah.( I've had the Arros on dem a couple of times), they can be tricky little suckers to drive.

I heard them with the older A32.... wow.

Edited by plasticpenguin

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

Am surprised at this - they are 87db sensitivity (average) and 4 ohms impedance and they recommend amps of 20 to 80 watts and the AR is well in the middle of their recommendation - at the end of the day the best thing to do is to try your AR on the end of whatever you think fits the bill to see if it does the business :) 

That's the problem: The ohms not so the dbs.

Super Wammer

In my opinion, I think we should not worry too much about technical details.

There are speakers with low impedance that play very well and there are speakers with high impedance that play less well, only we have to do is arrange a good amplifier in our setup and job done. 

Cheers 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beckenham said:

In my opinion, I think we should not worry too much about technical details.

There are speakers with low impedance that play very well and there are speakers with high impedance that play less well, only we have to do is arrange a good amplifier in our setup and job done. 

Cheers 

But in the Arc A65's case, which isn't the ballsiest of amps, it can be tricky once you try and crank it up. I know this from owning the Monitor Audio RS6s. Although it had 91db it had 6 ohms, and it started to 'clip' when you gave it some welly.

I really like the A65+  a lot but it isn't very grunty.

13 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

That's the problem: The ohms not so the dbs.

I would suck it and see - they do not drop below 4 ohms so in theory the A65 should be ok (and it is within the range of power recommended) so I would suck it and see - for a small footprint floor stander they take a lot of beating IMO

45 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I would suck it and see - they do not drop below 4 ohms so in theory the A65 should be ok (and it is within the range of power recommended) so I would suck it and see - for a small footprint floor stander they take a lot of beating IMO

Agree. They are one of my favourite small floorstanders, and only didn't buy them because my daughter was young at the time - the Arros are easy to knock over. Wouldn't have that problem now, except I love the PMCs.

I wouldn't personally match a 40 watt amp with the Totems. They'll be okay at lower levels but crank it up and the Arc will start to struggle. I wouldn't recommend the RS6s either. Tonally great with Arcam but those 6 ohms just tilts it the wrong side of sounding comfortable.

Other MAs (8 ohms) no probs. A number of posts ago I suggested minimum 87db and 8 ohms. If yiou have a 65 watt amp you can take a few more liberties with speaker choice.