The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Paulssurround

Linn's Best Streaming Firmware So Far

Ain't fate a weird thing. Just had the call. Board has arrived. Will be getting it done tomorrow :)

:close:

Sorry Paul,

for the second time, i am very disappointed with a software upgrade.

I did it on monday.

For me the result is better bass, but where are the lovely mids and highs of my Katudoriks?

I hope i’ll manage to reset to the previous Davaar version.

Cheers

Edited by DB1328

26 minutes ago, DB1328 said:

Sorry Paul,

for the second time, i am very disappointed with a software upgrade.

I did it on monday.

For me the result is better bass, but where are the lovely mids and highs of my Katudoriks?

I hope i’ll manage to reset to the previous Davaar version.

Cheers

Sorry to hear that it didn’t give you the improvement I am experiencing.

As always, YMMV.  

Yes, I too must admit that after updating to Davaar 68, something seems to be missing on my Katalyst KDSM based system.  So I reverted to 67, and whatever "it" was, has returned, so I'm sticking with 67 for now.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian H, 

On Saturday I reverted to the Davaar 67, too. For me after the update to 68 it sounded wrong, but now everything is fine again. More details and a more harmonic and homogenic sound. 

Hi 

I upgraded to Davaar 68 but I would like to revert back to 67.

Unfortunately I cannot understand which among Fw960_4.67.262, Fw983_4.67.262, Fw990_4.67.262, etc etc is the right Davaar 67 for me...:$

I own a Klimax DS/3 Katalyst

Thanks in advance

Fabio

58 minutes ago, fabiodeluca said:

Hi 

I upgraded to Davaar 68 but I would like to revert back to 67.

Unfortunately I cannot understand which among Fw960_4.67.262, Fw983_4.67.262, Fw990_4.67.262, etc etc is the right Davaar 67 for me...:$

I own a Klimax DS/3 Katalyst

Thanks in advance

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

My advice would be to use the same Fw code which is currently highlighted on the Konfig configuration page. I’ve just returned to 262 (ADSM) without problems....

• Like 1

Hi Gussy

Thanks for the advice...unfortunately I cannot find the Fw code you are referring to...-_-....I extensively searched in the Konfig configuration page and I cannot find any Fw number similar to 960 or 988 or 990 etc...

5 minutes ago, fabiodeluca said:

Hi Gussy

Thanks for the advice...unfortunately I cannot find the Fw code you are referring to...-_-....I extensively searched in the Konfig configuration page and I cannot find any Fw number similar to 960 or 988 or 990 etc...

The Fw code is given in the Software Variant field in Konfig About tab. This is a recent change and may only be visible with the latest version. It may even only be visible in firmware 68, but seeing as you have that and it's not there it's probably a Konfig thing.

It is also the first 3 digits of the PCAS number of the main board, which is the first one listed under Board Type in Konfig About tab.

• Like 1

Admin

The Kegworth exhibiting thread will be closed on 15th Feb.

I posted an invite to all other forums and clubs to take up a couple of exhibiting rooms and join us so that other members and enthusiasts of Linn could come/listen to enjoy the equipment.

This is just a gentle reminder. 

regards Peter

On 04/02/2019 at 22:16, DB1328 said:

Thanks Ian H, 

On Saturday I reverted to the Davaar 67, too. For me after the update to 68 it sounded wrong, but now everything is fine again. More details and a more harmonic and homogenic sound. 

Agree. Just reverted to 67. Far far better. Not sure if it's 68 that's "wrong" (I've not tried going further back), but there definitely seems to be something majikal about 67.

6 hours ago, timster said:

Agree. Just reverted to 67. Far far better. Not sure if it's 68 that's "wrong" (I've not tried going further back), but there definitely seems to be something majikal about 67.

Most seem to be f the same opinion. Don't think I'll be bothing with the update to 68. 

21 minutes ago, ae111sr said:

Most seem to be f the same opinion. Don't think I'll be bothering with the update to 68. 

"Most" is actually a very small sample, and it is at least arguable that the happy users of 68 either are not forum members or are not bothering to post here.

I noticed a (small) difference when I installed 68, and If I'd judged it on initial impressions I might have thought about reverting to 67. But I do have real concerns about being "trapped" in a particular firmware version (especially with SO version 2 for Exakt on the horizon), and I always like to give each update a fair run, bearing in mind that any view that things have changed may be a statement that's more about me than about the firmware. And guess what? A few days on, I'm perfectly happy with 68.

Where audio is concerned, never trust anyone's judgement but your own.

David

Edited by DavidHB

As I posted above, with the newest firmware updates, 68,  I found a noticeable improvement in terms of sound stage and dynamics. 

Especially in surround.

I think it is the best integration I have heard in surround, on my system, so far.

All the channels in surround, seem more coherent, working together as a seamless integration of 3D sound stage.

I played some of my favourite 5.1 SACD and discs and noticed a far better sound stage presentation, and a more realistic experience of being on stage with the band.

I was playing the new movie “First Man” on BluRay, a couple of nights ago, with the volume cranked. When the X15 plane launched , and later in the movie, the rockets took off, my room seemed like I was being launched into space. It was the best bass response I have heard in my system yet.

With the newest updates, streaming music in stereo, I am getting a better soundstage as well, with a more solid presentation that seems more 3D to me.

I have not sat down and critically listened to my reference tunes to focus just on sound quality of voices and instruments 🎻 🎺 with the latest firmware.

I may do that today.

Edited by Paulssurround