Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Paulssurround

Linn's Best Streaming Firmware So Far

Konfig is Kofig, in the same way that an Ethernet cable is an Ethernet cable.

Surely there’s consensus there...? :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Konfig is Konfig, in the same way that an Ethernet cable is an Ethernet cable.

Surely there’s consensus there...? :ph34r:

Nope, sorry. Konfig is not actually one thing, but several. How that plays into the current discussion I have not the faintest idea. However it is as well that we should be aware that the relationship between Konfig and the DS(M) is actually quite complex.

Let's start with the Configuration page. We see it in Konfig, but Konfig is actually only the host. The page (written in HTML or something else that is browser compatible) is actually part of the DS(M) firmware, and Konfig fetches it from the DSM and acts as the 'browser'. You can actually access the DS(M) directly, and use this page in a proper browser if you want to.

The Update page is, so far as I can see, a simple UI to what happens in the DS(M), which is where the action is.

Then there's the SO (version 1) UI. That is, so far as I can see, part of Konfig, though it is still written in some sort of markup. Likewise, I guess that the actual SO calculations happen in Konfig, which then injects the results into the DS(M). That's the way SO version 2 works as well, though all the user account data is held in the cloud and the calculations are done in the server also.

Finally there's Exakt. It looks as though the UI is in Konfig, but there's online lookup, and data has to be injected into both the Exakt engine and the DS(M)/Hub. How this function is written I can't even begin to guess.

This complexity can feed all sorts of conspiracy theories, if that's your turn of mind. But I tend to go with timster's conclusion, if not his way of expressing it. If Linn have been doing things one way for years, I don't see any reason for them to have done differently in this case. If there had been a change to the firmware, we should have seen a new version number. There are certainly other possibilities, but they are, as I said earlier, "improbable possibles".

David

Edited by DavidHB

13 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Nope, sorry. Konfig is not actually one thing, but several. How that plays into the current discussion I have not the faintest idea.

The point I was making, is that Konfig is incapable in itself of affecting the SQ of components connected to it via the network. It is used to set-up components, install new firmware etc, but different versions of Konfig cannot ‘sound’ different. That’s completely impossible.

2 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

The point I was making, is that Konfig is incapable in itself of affecting the SQ of components connected to it via the network. It is used to set-up components, install new firmware etc, but different versions of Konfig cannot ‘sound’ different. That’s completely impossible.

Yes, and that's timster's point too. My own position is that silent, automatic updating of a DS(M) from Konfig is, based on what we know, very unlikely, but that we don't know enough to say that it is "completely impossible". Beware the hidden pit with spikes at the bottom. .... :)

David

1 hour ago, fredbatch said:

Sorry, Paul, but you must admit you do have a good imagination and I think your findings are likely to be exactly that unless there is some other unknown coincidental factor involved which is having an effect.

Perception, imaginary or otherwise, is often accorded with misplaced cause and effect in this strange world of home audio, where engineering, science and technology collides head-on with pseudo-science and unsubstantiated claims. Nothing personal, just an observation. It’s all good fun.

Ridiculous Fred

My hearing is superb, and I have not imagined anything. 

I did not travel all over North America and Europe with poor hearing and imagine doing Space optimisation.

My hearing perception is very well trained to identify improvements or degradations in sound quality with new firmware updates.

In fact, I can hear the first 10 seconds of a song and tell you immediately if it sounds better or worse than the previous change in SO settings.

If you care to read this whole thread you will note that there are 3 people with 3 different Linn systems that all had unexplained improvements in sound quality after updating to the latest Konfig.

I am not interested in why it can't be, and that it is not possible. Apparently it is possible and  really is happening

Talking with the most knowledgeable IT guy I know yesterday that is extremely knowledgable in Linn firmware and Linn electronics, stated it is more than possible, and more than conceivable that an update in Konfig could very well be a conduit to patches  that fix something, and improve sound quality. 

I am interested in possibilities to explain how and why such a thing might have happened, and why 3 of us are hearing this unexplained phenomena.

"Open your mind to the doors of perception"  9_9

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

I’ve sorta lost track here.  

Regardless of how it’s applied, are people saying they like Davaar 67.262 or 68.267??

:peace:

Yes, definitely!!!

25 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

I’ve sorta lost track here.  

Regardless of how it’s applied, are people saying they like Davaar 67.262 or 68.267??

Peace brother.

There were updates to Davaar?    9_9

Here is my executive summary.

The thread started off touting the wonders of Davaar 67, which most people seem to agree was a great improvement in sound quality over previous versions.

Then Davaar 68 was released, which had a better sound stage in my system than 67, but there appeared to be an issue with sound quality, and that something was "off base"

This issue with 68 was also noticed as something was "wrong" and many people went back to 67.

In the meantime, there was a release of a new version of Konfig, with no accompanying updates for Davaar.

This update to Konfig improved the sound quality and fixed the issue with Davaar 68, as reported by 3 Linn owners, including myself.

Many people on this thread say it is impossible, while the more enlightened among us are open to the possibility that something may have been included in the newest Konfig, such as a patch, that "fixed" something.

Contrary to what you are reading, it is not a Paul versus Timster discussion, although some perceive it that way.

I am looking for an explanation to explain what I am hearing.   

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, timster said:

What new software? We're talking about Konfig itself, not the software on the DSM/Exaktbox (aka firmware). Are you saying the act of installing a new konfig somehow makes the existing konfig tell the devices it has previously detected to do something? The existing konfig is shutdown before the new one even starts installing, let alone runs! And you can install Konfig when your DSM is offline. It doesn't need a DSM to install or run.

Or - is the last stage of installing itself to tell the DSM to do something? Why? And does it wait until it has detected a DSM before it does so? What if there are multiple DSMs (not the current one selected)? Does it do them to? Does it do it every time Konfig is opened?

It's beyond reason I'm afraid.

No. I've read back through the thread and I think I got Paul's sequence of actions out of order when I wrote this.

38 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

Yes, I think that everyone who has contributed likes at least one of those. I like them both. :)

2 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I am looking for an explanation to explain what I am hearing.

And that is the point. There has to be a mechanism. And none of us, at this time, know what the mechanism is. There is, in my opinion, little point in getting excited when we are in a state of collective ignorance.

David

The problem here is that there is no plausible explanation unless there really is a hidden benign Trojan. Konfig is a software program that does not affect the DS/DSM firmware until an SO profile is loaded or an update is explicitly actioned. And so the argument repeats itself. Whether a firmware update described as only a bug fix can affect SQ is another argument (although I don’t ascribe to the sometimes mentioned Schrödinger's cat and quantum mechanics analogy which is an irrelevant pseudo-scientific distortion).

Any three people from the group we constitute, whether they acknowledge improvements or otherwise, represent a small, biased and insignificant sample and regardless of how good one’s hearing, the analysis can still be mistaken. I include myself in any such sample.

Well,it's been fun.

I stand by my position (and like @Stalaktite I was once a software engineer, in a very distant past life) so shall those who disagree and think Konfig functions in a nefariously bizarre and not least highly impractical and improbable way.... just agree to disagree? ;)

Edited by timster
Peace, man
  • Upvote 1

I think I’m right in saying that we have a prior example of Konfig being able to change the sound of a DS without requiring a firmware update or adjusting SO. Admittedly it required the user to actively switch HDMI on or off in Konfig, but it demonstrates that the possibility exists for Konfig (n+1) to activate a routine in firmware (n+1) which didn’t exist in firmware (n) and couldn’t be activated by Konfig (n).

Or to put it another way:

Konfig (n) + firmware (n) = baseline sq

Konfig (n) + firmware (n+1) = no change

Konfig (n+1) + firmware (n+1) = change to sq

ie a routine in F(n+1) needs K(n+1) to activate it.

I hope this makes sense!

47 minutes ago, hannson.design said:

ie a routine in F(n+1) needs K(n+1) to activate it.

Why oh why would it need another piece of software to activate it, even if the said scenario is remotely likely? If firmware (n+1) has some majikal routine in it that does something special, then for heavens sake it can run it itself. On power up. Or on waking. Or at midnight on a friday in a month with an r in it.