Paulssurround

Linn's Best Streaming Firmware So Far

I just finished speaking with one of our highly esteemed Wigwam Forum-Linn members, whose knowledge of IT is exemplary .

He stated that it is more than conceivable that Linn put a "patch" into Konfig, to fix a problem with a previous update.

The evidence certainly supports that possibility   

Edited by Paulssurround
Azimuthal equidistant projection, right ascension 0.14538

8 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I just finished speaking with one of our highly esteemed Wigwam Forum-Linn members, whose knowledge of IT is exemplary .

He stated that it is more than conceivable that Linn put a "patch" into Konfig, to fix a problem with a previous update.

The evidence certainly supports that possibility   

That's as maybe, but again, that's a patch in Konfig, to fix a problem in Konfig, and only Konfig. If it's a patch in the SO algorithms within it, then the only way it will manifest is by recalculating and re-applying to the DSM.

Sorry Paul but as a software engineer I have to agree with Timster here.

There would be absolutely no point as a dev, to add a patch for the DSM in Konfig when you can easily put a correction in a firmware. And what if for some reason the DSM is offline when you install Konfig? Install the sound patch as soon as you'd plug the DSM? And what if the firmware version of the different devices you own are  quite different? It would be quite annoying to prepare to all these different possibilities. Why not just put the patch in the firmware?

Worse than that: it would mean that, until the end of times, every time you plug a new Linn device in your system, Konfig would have to ask the device "Hey, did you get my special secret patch yet? No? Here you go!"

As a software engineer: inconcevable, when you can easily publish a firmware!

Thanks Timster and Stalaktite for you input 

My expertise is not in IT, and I don’t have the knowledge base to disagree with you.

I spoke with third  person today that experienced the same phenomena, that my friend with Akudoriks  and I did, when he updated Konfig yesterday.

Hopefully he will post about his experiences of this mystery today.

43 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks Timster and Stalaktite for you input 

My expertise is not in IT, and I don’t have the knowledge base to disagree with you.

I spoke with third  person today that experienced the same phenomena, that my friend with Akudoriks  and I did, when he updated Konfig yesterday.

Hopefully he will post about his experiences of this mystery today.

It's shame you can't rollback Konfig and do a proper A/B. But, I stand by the logic. There is no change made to the DSM by Konfig until you actually do something with it that makes changes to it. And (other than the DSM Update tab) the only thing that does that (practically speaking in this discussion) is the Apply button in SO.

I completely agree with Timster's logic here, but after 20+ years in the IT world you can never rule anything out until the developers confirm either way.

As for an A/B test of Konfig, the Linn archive is here - http://oss.linn.co.uk/Releases/Konfig/Davaar/

Super Wammer

What if Konfig is telling the DS or Exaktbox what to do when installing new software?  Such as flushing caches, zeroing out any storage / memory, that kind of thing, and the buggy version didn't have this right?  What if it was trying to install software on a Katalyst box but using pre-Katalyst approach?  Or a multi-proc Exakt engine approach on a later single proc Exakt engine?

Not yet convinced, but this kind of stuff is at least a possibility.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, timster said:

It's shame you can't rollback Konfig and do a proper A/B. But, I stand by the logic. There is no change made to the DSM by Konfig until you actually do something with it that makes changes to it. And (other than the DSM Update tab) the only thing that does that (practically speaking in this discussion) is the Apply button in SO.

I can't fault timster's logic, either. The only other possibility is that Konfig is silently 'fixing' something in the DSM. That's not the way Linn does things, but agree with axe that you can never be sure unless and until Linn make some sort of announcement. Which, on previous form, is rather unlikely.

David

19 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

What if Konfig is telling the DS or Exaktbox what to do when installing new software?  Such as flushing caches, zeroing out any storage / memory, that kind of thing, and the buggy version didn't have this right?  What if it was trying to install software on a Katalyst box but using pre-Katalyst approach?  Or a multi-proc Exakt engine approach on a later single proc Exakt engine?

Not yet convinced, but this kind of stuff is at least a possibility.

What new software? We're talking about Konfig itself, not the software on the DSM/Exaktbox (aka firmware). Are you saying the act of installing a new konfig somehow makes the existing konfig tell the devices it has previously detected to do something? The existing konfig is shutdown before the new one even starts installing, let alone runs! And you can install Konfig when your DSM is offline. It doesn't need a DSM to install or run.

Or - is the last stage of installing itself to tell the DSM to do something? Why? And does it wait until it has detected a DSM before it does so? What if there are multiple DSMs (not the current one selected)? Does it do them to? Does it do it every time Konfig is opened?

It's beyond reason I'm afraid.

I will remain neutral here, because I don't have enough facts to take either side. I will, however, say that after having problems with my ADSM locking up and having dropouts on analogue sources, I did a factory reset on my ADSM Katalyst and updated to the latest Konfig on Sunday. After that my setup had a wonderful musical flow to it and sounded better than ever before. I do not know, which of the two contributed more to the positive effect, or maybe both combined? The same 4.67.262 was used both before and after, no changes in SO either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

I will remain neutral here, because I don't have enough facts to take either side. I will, however, say that after having problems with my ADSM locking up and having dropouts on analogue sources, I did a factory reset on my ADSM Katalyst and updated to the latest Konfig on Sunday. After that my setup had a wonderful musical flow to it and sounded better than ever before. I do not know, which of the two contributed more to the positive effect, or maybe both combined? The same 4.67.262 was used both before and after, no changes in SO either.

That's really muddying the waters! If you did a factory reset, would it not install the latest firmware (68 that is)? So how did it revert to 67?

And did you do any reapplying of filters and SO after the reset? Surely you had to. A reset will clear the DSM entirely.

That's where the effects came from.

Not the new Konfig.

:pop:

2 hours ago, timster said:

That's really muddying the waters! If you did a factory reset, would it not install the latest firmware (68 that is)? So how did it revert to 67?

And did you do any reapplying of filters and SO after the reset? Surely you had to. A reset will clear the DSM entirely.

That's where the effects came from.

Not the new Konfig.

:pop:

🐕🤱☑️

Just popping in to say hello and to agree that logic and rationality are entirely on the side of Timster. Sorry, Paul, but you must admit you do have a good imagination and I think your findings are likely to be exactly that unless there is some other unknown coincidental factor involved which is having an effect.

Perception, imaginary or otherwise, is often accorded with misplaced cause and effect in this strange world of home audio, where engineering, science and technology collides head-on with pseudo-science and unsubstantiated claims. Nothing personal, just an observation. It’s all good fun.