Gordon Ewen

SB Acoustics 16 MTM speakers - Troels Gravesen design

Hello Mirek, thanks for your kind comments. Yes, it has been quite a journey, very satisfying and I have learned a lot.

I like both the Fusion and the Illuminator 4. The Illuminator is excellent and definitely better then the Fusion, but it is about twice the price. I find the Fusion has a brighter top end and while the 12" bass driver goes deep it I find it not quite as punchy as the Illuminator. The Fusion has what I would call a 'live' feel to it, the Illuminator is a bit more refined.

I'd be happy to have either though, should I only have one of the two speakers. I guess the big question is 'is the added cost of the Illuminator worth it?'. Tough to answer that question. If you have the cash, yes.

I'd thoroughly recommend building a pair, you get a fantastic speaker for the price. I recently heard the Wilson Audio Yvette's (~ £20k) and the Illuminators are better. In a private communication with Troells, he said he thought the nearest equivalent was the WA Alexia......... I'll let you find the price! No doubt the WA speakers are beautifully built but it all about the sound quality. All the TG designed speakers I have made have been excellent. The Discovery 18 is astonishingly good for the cost.

Regards

Gordon

Hi Gordon 

Thank you for sharing this, very useful. 

it look like all TG  constructions are great value and choise comes down to preferences and what kind of music presentation you after. Fusion are definitely looks very interesting and you have done amazing job with them. 

Illuminator 4 sounds like they are the ultimate speakers. 

thanks

Mirek

Hi Gordon,

Nice work you have done. I am thinking to build Fusion.

I have two questions about your Fusion : can you play this speakers to low level volume ? how they sound on low level ?

What worries me is  BMS 12N630  heavy cone. I have heard speakers  who play bass only above normal volume.

Sometime i Iisten music on low volume and I don't like to hear only mid and high frequency  :)

Thank You.

Hello Unitra, I have no issue with the bass at low volumes, I find it is still has a good presence. As with most speakers they really come to life when given some power. If you're near Bedford, you are welcome to listen to them

Gordon

Illuminator 4 has bass ports to front  and Fusion back ports,  what you think is better placement ?

Thank You.

Unitra

Hello Unitra, I don't think it matters that much. Port placement is often determined by the layout of the drivers on the front panel ie how much space is left for them. The only way to definitively tell would be to make a pair with ports to the front and a pair to the back and have a listen. Troels Gravesen states that, on the Illuminator 4's, the ports can go to the front or the back so it can't make much, if any, difference to the sound.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-4.htm

Regards

GOrdon