Sign in to follow this  
dave

My needle rotated..... Wt, grrr, etc.

I have been relatively enjoying a new Shure m97xe cart on my pl l1000 (80's highish end linear tracker). Set it up and tested with hifi news test record, tracks fine the 2nd most difficult track. Generaly happy. Last week continue sorting through my record mountain, and 3x mistracking on one channel. After the third, looked into it a bit and noticed the needel seems to have turned round on its axis about 20 to 30 degrees clockwise. ????????? The deck is mounted near the ceiling away from small hands. Perplexed and troubled. Tried to turn it straight again but failed so far. Can this type of thing even happen???? The cantilever looked otherwise intact. It has probably done less than 100 hours.

Even though I fitted it recently I bought it almost 2 years ago. I will ring up the company tomorrow.

16 hours ago, dave said:

Even though I fitted it recently I bought it almost 2 years ago. I will ring up the company tomorrow.

OK, good luck, it will be out of warranty but sale of goods act gives you up to 6 years to claim for faulty goods. Your contract will be with the dealer. 

Posted (edited)

Swapped in my Grado for a while, but missing the Shure a bit actually. So in the spirit of nothing to loose... I had another go at twisting it straight.

Useless from the front, can barely see it, let alone grip it, so pulled the needle assembly out. Seems to be soldered to the square brass tube at the far end. Gave that a twist with some cutters, so it is now more star shape than square, took a couple of goes, but looks much better now and seems to play ok.

Edited by dave

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:12, dave said:

Swapped in my Grado for a while, but missing the Shure a bit actually. So in the spirit of nothing to loose... I had another go at twisting it straight.

Useless from the front, can barely see it, let alone grip it, so pulled the needle assembly out. Seems to be soldered to the square brass tube at the far end. Gave that a twist with some cutters, so it is now more star shape than square, took a couple of goes, but looks much better now and seems to play ok.

If that now sounds OK Dave, you're either very skilled, very  lucky ...or cloth eared  & deluded

...I hope it's one of  the former .  :D

Nothing to loose. And old enough to know better;) Having got thus far,  in the future convenient moment, I will rig it up in a vice with a microscope and check it out, and tweaking if necessary. I am playing non precious records. One can be super anal about cartridge alignment but I have always set them up by eye. My eyes not so good now, but I have test record (s).

Best part of £100 so worth a punt imo.