Kegworth Show Information

THE WAM HIFI SHOW 2019 - Exhibitor Rooms All Now Full

Show Opens At 10am This Sunday - £15 On The Door (No Card Facilities/CASH ONLY)
Super Wammer Members Entrance Fee is £10 (Must Show Proof Of Membership and Forum Name eg. Print Out Of Forum Profile)

ROOM ALLOCATIONS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KSQoBqqBYbZWVFBU6oX8u5kM-FPGsxl4uQMaTx_iu6k/edit?usp=sharing

hlinden

Recommend crazy nerdy audiophile "effect" tracks

Super Wammer

Any interesting recommendations of tracks that really push the envelope of what music should sound like? Things that might not even classify as real music :D

Like weird drums, effects from behind your heads or just some guy just chucking ping pong balls against a wall and recording itc. Especially after good really dynamic acoustic tracks

Here are few that come to mind from me:

Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (the ping pong guy mentioned above)
Explorations In Space And Time from Chesky (proper nerdy, blokes running around a church playing with high end recording equipment)

Actual music:
Roger Waters - What god wants (the whole Amused to death album to be fair)
Sinne Eeg - What is this thing called love (cracking drums and "space")

Do you want my list in alphabetical or chronological order?? :doh:  

Err....no I don't have any....

Family by Bjork on Vulnicura.

If played loud, you need to forewarn the neighbours, and Earthquake Seismology research.

:nerves:

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Soul Cages by Sting is also in Q-sound, like Amused to Death. Right at the end Sting says "good night" right behind your left shoulder. Makes me jump :D 

• Upvote 1

One of my favourites is 'Big Muff' by John Martyn from the album One World.  Microphones were set up on the opposite side of a lake in an old quarry, Martyn plays guitar through a big PA system at 4 o'clock in the morning with the sound echoing and reflecting from the water.  The bass drum sounds like it is played from the far side of Venus.  Ducks swimming on the lake can be heard quacking at several points throughout the track. 

• Haha 1

Almost anything by Yello

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, lostwin said:

One of my favourites is 'Big Muff' by John Martyn from the album One World.  Microphones were set up on the opposite side of a lake in an old quarry, Martyn plays guitar through a big PA system at 4 o'clock in the morning with the sound echoing and reflecting from the water.  The bass drum sounds like it is played from the far side of Venus.  Ducks swimming on the lake can be heard quacking at several points throughout the track. 

I don't wish to be pedantic but isn't the track you're talking about, from that album, called 'small hours'? You can also hear the local steam train going by in the distance at one point, if you listen carefully. 

Edited by Gizza

5 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Almost anything by Yello

Yello's greatest hits is a single, isn't it?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Yello's greatest hits is a single, isn't it?

Errrr...no, 2 CDs 

Super Wammer

When I did the Abbey road studio tour last summer, we were told how, on "Mother natures son" they moved Ringo's drum kit, to the end of the corridor outside Studio 2, and recorded the track like that, to give it a type of bongo effect.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Gizza said:

I don't wish to be pedantic but isn't the track you're talking about, from that album, called 'small hours'? You can also hear the local steam train going by in the distance at one point, if you listen carefully. 

Now you have had me diving to grab the record to check... 

You are not going to believe this but the record labels are reversed on my copy!   I can't believe that I haven't spotted it before but you are absolutely right, last track of side 2 which is actually side 1 is indeed Small Hours.  I have been listening to this album for the last 20 years in the wrong order :doh:

edit  I can't hear the steam train though, is that a headphones only thing?  

Edited by lostwin
steam train
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

Ha ha ha, you're as bad as me - I rarely pick up lyrics either. What a cruel trick, reversing the labels. What an album though, eh? I think the train probably is only audible on headphones, now you mention it. I hadn't heard it myself until I read about it in some distant interview. Here's a link to nice write-up of the recording of the album... 

http://www.johnmartyn.com/sleeve-notes/one-world-deluxe-edition/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gizza said:

Ha ha ha, you're as bad as me - I rarely pick up lyrics either. What a cruel trick, reversing the labels. What an album though, eh? I think the train probably is only audible on headphones, now you mention it. I hadn't heard it myself until I read about it in some distant interview. Here's a link to nice write-up of the recording of the album... 

http://www.johnmartyn.com/sleeve-notes/one-world-deluxe-edition/

This is taken from Discogs;

The running order: 
It remains unclear how this was intended to be released. On the rear of the LP sleeve the first track A1 is "Couldn't Love You More". But for some reason many issues have a reversed tracklist. Side A actually being Side B. Other issues have changed / reversed label colour sides. Usual "Day & Night" labels became "Night & Day". 

"The sleeve of One World was completed before the album was delivered, hence the odd running order on the back of the sleeve, with the sides in reverse order. For years, many loved the album beginning with Couldn’t Love You More and ending with Big Muff." 

Also from Discogs are details on the UK and US mixes which was new to me;

The two mixes: 
On first release the album had two quite different mixdowns. They are often referred to as the 'UK' and the 'US' mixes although the reality is slightly more complex: 
Mix #1) known as the 'US Mix' appeared on the original US, Canadian and Italian vinyl pressings. 
Mix #2) known as the 'UK Mix' appeared on all other UK and European vinyl pressings. 

The differences are often subtle but all tracks differ in some way. There is an entirely different drum track on 'Big Muff'. 'One World' features no scat vocals from Martyn on the intro on the US Mix. Elsewhere the mixes feature different instrumentation levels, such as a very different emphasis on the percussion on 'Certain Surprise', L-R positioning such as the drums on the US Mix version of 'Dancing' being mostly in the right channel, central on the UK Mix, equalization where every track has differences with the same applying also to levels of reverb and echo. 
Overall track times also differ. Most notably the US Mix version of 'Dancing' runs 3:55 while the UK Mix version runs 3:46 and 'Big Muff' runs 6:15 and 6:28 respectively. 
The US Mix was not issued on CD until the 'Deluxe Version' 2 CD set in 2004 
There is no release which states anywhere on the packaging which mix is used. 
US Mix versions of 'Dancing', 'Sweet Certain Surprise' and 'Dealer' appeared on 'The Electric John Martyn' compilation in 1982 and the US Mix version of 'Big Muff' also appeared on the B side of the 12" Single 'Johnny Too Bad' in the UK in 1977. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1