robbie010

How to connect 2 x 6mm cables for bi-wiring?

Super Wammer

Hi All,

I’ve just picked up a good length of Van Damme 6mm speaker cable for free!! 😊

My set-up has always been bi-wired as my speakers have 4 binding posts, so I would like to combine 2 lengths of the cable to stick with this set-up. However, my amp only has the two binding post so I will need to combine two cables at the amp end. 

At 6mm for each cable, there is no way I could squeeze 2 cables in to 1 banana plug!

Can anyone suggest the best way of combining two large speaker cables in to one connector?

Thanks. 

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Bi-wiring has no benefit whatsoever so just use a jumper cable to solve your issue.

• Upvote 4

Super Wammer

Why not try single wire + jumpers for a change? 

You could of course make up one run with banana and the other with spades if you want to stick with 2 runs, but single + jumper works just aswell. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Upvote 1

yes , pushing it to try and get 12mm of cable into a banana plug , i fear it may not be possible really 

• Upvote 1

I've always felt that the best way to do bi-wiring is to get over it and use a single cable plus jumpers.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Upvote 2

You could try stack-able banana plugs, you can get them from Farnell  and Amazon

• Upvote 1

I used these with my thicker cables, I managed to fit both cables into one plug, they accept a wider diameter cable than typical banana plugs. It is also possible to ‘stack’ the plugs ( one into the back of another) if you cannot get both cables into a single plug.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F151847507395

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
44 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I've always felt that the best way to do bi-wiring is to get over it and use a single cable plus jumpers.

So tri wiring isn’t your thing either then? It takes all sorts I guess.  

• Haha 1

If the cable was free then you might as well try bi-wiring and then compare it to single-wiring with jumpers.

If you try the latter then it's still probably worth using two runs of cable to each speaker. You might get a bit more signal down to each speaker that way.

Then let your own ears do the talking. :)

Super Wammer

Thanks all, some useful ideas. I think the spade + banana is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. 

8 minutes ago, Sotosound said:

If the cable was free then you might as well try bi-wiring and then compare it to single-wiring with jumpers.

If you try the latter then it's still probably worth using two runs of cable to each speaker. You might get a bit more signal down to each speaker that way.

Then let your own ears do the talking. :)

Thats my thinking sotosound. The cable was free and I’ve plenty of banana plugs lying around so I’ll get hold of some spades and have a play!

Super Wammer

For ease of use and the ability to switch between single run and bi -wiring i would echo the advice to use a pair of stackable Banana plugs at the amp end .

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, robbie010 said:

Thanks all, some useful ideas. I think the spade + banana is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. 

Thats my thinking sotosound. The cable was free and I’ve plenty of banana plugs lying around so I’ll get hold of some spades and have a play!

Please let us know how you get on.

14 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

In the interests of balance, there is this (among others) http://www.achievum.eu/bi-wiring.html

I will admit to never having tried bi-wiring, but have used bi- and tri-amping, with different cables which I found to suit the different bands.  Also tri-amping with an active crossover and 3 different types of power amp and cables.  Active (analogue) is my favoured set-up, but my wife couldn't cope with the complexity, so I have gone back(wards!) to passive.

If it costs little or nothing (and you can do it without mistakes and causing damage!) then try it.  I almost never take another's word for something if I can possibly try it for myself.  So don't get suckered by promotion of an idea.

Super Wammer

I have tried Bi wiring on any pair of speakers I owned that had it . In most cases it was a mixed bag , some worked very well and made a difference (Celestion SL600si , Linn Sara 9) others were either no difference or worse (Harbeth Compact Monitors) .

As advised above I would always give it a try if you do not have to spend too much then you can tell for yourself if you hear any difference and if having the additional cable in place is worth the trouble.