badgerchap

Hard copy / download / stream?

2 hours ago, Bignose5 said:

Gaming is where the growth is.

Music is getting left behind but only on legal sites.

The most clued up demographic for years hasn't payed for any music or films they have downloaded listend to or watched.

Go into any primary or secondary  school playground at break time in the UK

The kids know how to get everything for free.

I have a part time job with a very large employer which means I meet quite a lot of folk of all ages.

I never hear anyone talk about music, but I hear a lot of terminology that I don't understand about Gaming from guys particularly between 20 and 40.  Quite a lot are single nerds,  but maybe that applies to some of us as well.

12 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I have a part time job with a very large employer which means I meet quite a lot of folk of all ages.

I never hear anyone talk about music, but I hear a lot of terminology that I don't understand about Gaming from guys particularly between 20 and 40.  Quite a lot are single nerds,  but maybe that applies to some of us as well.

Never done gaming. Yes music does not seem to be a topic much among the young, just the odd snippet about a certain song. It's not like the 70s.

29 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Trouble is I have a load of cds that I never play anymore. With streaming you can play what you want, no need for radio. To get the variety of music by buying would cost a fortune and some are not available on cd. Also sometimes there is a new improved version that you may want so then you will have to buy it again. 

I never play my CDs these days, having rippped them to FLAC files. With Muso as a front end and a SBT, there's absolutely no point in using the CDs once they have been ripped, and there's no tedious messing around with jewel cases and such. So any new ones I buy get played once, in the USB optical drive attached to the PC. I suspect at some point I will cut out the middle man and just buy lossless downloads.

Posted (edited)

Music is dead. Watch all the teens and pre-teens watching live streams of people playing games. 

There is a harbourside house in Sydney worth some 15 million Australian dollars called the Click House. Five selected ‘content generators’ have been hand picked to live there in luxury (with umpteen thousands of dollars worth of top gaming PCs and a full time staff) by NRG Esport and Click Management. They spend all day streaming on Twitch and creating Youtube clips of things like playing Fortnite (for example) and have millions of contributors and followers.

What music do you know of where up and coming hopefuls, barely out of their teens, get 15 million dollar lodgings and free SOTA gaming rigs (and staff) and sponsorship and are on their way to (or well beyond) multi-million plus, regular viewership stats?

ASMR (another big deal, look it up on YouTube) is getting huge with millions of people watching soothing young ladies (and some men)  iron clothes,  fold towels, or build lego and whisper to you.

Looks at those viewing figures. Two and a half million views of someone ironing and NO-ONE gets naked! (Before you ask.)

Edited by chebby
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I never play my CDs these days, having rippped them to FLAC files. With Muso as a front end and a SBT, there's absolutely no point in using the CDs once they have been ripped, and there's no tedious messing around with jewel cases and such. So any new ones I buy get played once, in the USB optical drive attached to the PC. I suspect at some point I will cut out the middle man and just buy lossless downloads.

Yes I understand that but it was not really my point, I don't play them now because I don't like them, some were a mistake, easy to make prior to streaming, many I went off after a while, others there are better versions available now. I may try a download but I can't play DSD so that cuts out quite a few.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Yes I understand that but it was not really my point, I don't play them now because I don't like them, some were a mistake, easy to make prior to streaming, many I went off after a while, others there are better versions available now. I may try a download but I can't play DSD so that cuts out quite a few.

Some of the best masterings are for DSD (but there's still a lot of crap). Buy the DSD version and convert it to PCM with dBpoweramp. Keep the DSD if you get the capability in the future.

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

If not, I'll buy it off somewhere like 7digital or HDTracks, quite possibly at the same price as the CD or more, which I admit is a bit daft but either way, the artist is getting paid.

This didn’t used to bother me as I only listened to artists who didn’t really need any more £££! 

These days though I find myself listening ever further from the beaten track (ba-dum) and small artists really must be supported - otherwise they may never get the chance to be in the position not to care! 

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

Never done gaming. Yes music does not seem to be a topic much among the young, just the odd snippet about a certain song. It's not like the 70s.

I have to disagree - I’m a PhD student (mature, apparently) and spend a lot of time with undergrads or ‘proper’ PhD students. Music is definitely still there, but it’s taken for granted a little. Just think, they’re born into a time where the Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Queen, MJ, Elvis, etc etc etc..... have already happened. They’re not talking about it feverishly because it’s history. Look instead at what is new and “exciting” (cough). They hardly have much to get excited about! 

I think that for kids there is SO MUCH music, and it’s everywhere at the flick of a finger, they don’t need to talk about it in the same way as previous generations. Why bother talking, when your phone will choose for you?! Mad world.

39 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

Some of the best masterings are for DSD (but there's still a lot of crap). Buy the DSD version and convert it to PCM with dBpoweramp. Keep the DSD if you get the capability in the future.

I will be buying mainly Jazz, looking at Analogue Productions, most are about $25. I will check on the Hoffman forum to see if they are any good. 

10 minutes ago, badgerchap said:

I have to disagree - I’m a PhD student (mature, apparently) and spend a lot of time with undergrads or ‘proper’ PhD students. Music is definitely still there, but it’s taken for granted a little. Just think, they’re born into a time where the Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Queen, MJ, Elvis, etc etc etc..... have already happened. They’re not talking about it feverishly because it’s history. Look instead at what is new and “exciting” (cough). They hardly have much to get excited about! 

I think that for kids there is SO MUCH music, and it’s everywhere at the flick of a finger, they don’t need to talk about it in the same way as previous generations. Why bother talking, when your phone will choose for you?! Mad world.

Yes talking has almost gone now, I see all these people in the pub on their phones.  

20 minutes ago, badgerchap said:

This didn’t used to bother me as I only listened to artists who didn’t really need any more £££! 

These days though I find myself listening ever further from the beaten track (ba-dum) and small artists really must be supported - otherwise they may never get the chance to be in the position not to care! 

I agree that's why I looked at bandcamp where most of the money goes straight to the artist but the postage is so high from the USA. Many decent artists are without a contact and self fund albums, yet there is so much rubbish available from record companies. 

Think you old fookers are missing the point.

Primary school playgrounds  are the world leaders in free music and films,

its the under 11 year olds .:D