druid

Advice on headphone amp to pair with AKG K550 please

Happy New Year everyone!

I have decided that I would like some budget headphones to use with my home system which consists of a Rega Elicit R integrated amp and a Rega Saturn R CD player.

As you may know, the Elicit lacks headphone output so I'll need a headphone amp. I'm  on a tight budget and I'm considering the AKG K550 MK3 'phones which I have found new for £74  but I'm struggling to know which headphone amp would be suitable. I have a budget of up to £200 for the headphone amp. Any advice would be gratefully received 

Plenty of interesting options on ebay just search for headphone amps then check out reviews on headfi of anything you like the look of. Should find some nice options particularly used within your budget.  

Posted (edited)

Good luck with choosing, and regrettably I can’t help from experience as I’ve never used a stand-alone headphone amp.  I have just bought the same AKGs however, at £79.95 from Richer Sounds, where stocks seem to be running low (so don’t hang about!).

Rega’s own headphone amp is available for £200, so that seems like an obvious choice. http://www.rega.co.uk/ear.html

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer
On 02/01/2019 at 23:09, JamieMcC said:

Plenty of interesting options on ebay just search for headphone amps then check out reviews on headfi of anything you like the look of. Should find some nice options particularly used within your budget.  

Yup, like this for example:

image.thumb.png.fd08396ca5a51847a7035ee9dd709832.png

Posted (edited)

I see the price of used chord mojo's are coming down looking at the ebay sold listings some are going in the £255 - £275 range. 

Edit, not to far over your budget. 

Edited by JamieMcC

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.