The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

10 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

... the issues with poorly designed switched PSUs are well understood; 

FTFY!

It must not be forgotten that there are plenty of threads with people complaining about humming & buzzing emanating from speakers or from the equipment itself caused by linear power supplies.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Blackmetalboon said:

FTFY!

It must not be forgotten that there are plenty of threads with people complaining about humming & buzzing emanating from speakers or from the equipment itself caused by poorly designed linear power supplies.

FTFY!

A well-designed and well-executed linear PSU trumps a well-designed and well-executed switched mode PSU in the vast majority of circumstances.

Super Dealer

I would have thought two fine implementations would be indistinguishable.

Remember that power supply a. May nominally measure better than power supply b, but we measure at the output of the device the PS is connected to.

If that device has poor filtering and regulation then a better power supply might bring an improvement , but that device would instrinsically be a poor design.

Keith

15 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

FTFY!

A well-designed and well-executed linear PSU trumps a well-designed and well-executed switched mode PSU in the vast majority of circumstances.

That’s just an audiophile myth.:P

36 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

That’s just an audiophile myth.:P

Couldn't agree more

Some dacs use switch mode over linear because of the quality.

42 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I would have thought two fine implementations would be indistinguishable.

Remember that power supply a. May nominally measure better than power supply b, but we measure at the output of the device the PS is connected to.

If that device has poor filtering and regulation then a better power supply might bring an improvement , but that device would instrinsically be a poor design.

Keith

Your first paragraph sums it up well

Implemented well, just doing its job

Indistinguishable!

Super Wammer

I may be out of my depth here, but I believe I’ve read that changing a power supply may have more effect on the other gear in the system than the product it actually powers.  

Perhaps this accounts for the differing experiences reported when trying alternative supplies? 

• Confused 1

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, Bokke said:

Couldn't agree more

Some dacs use switch mode over linear because of the quality.

Which DACs and who says so? The manufacturers!

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I may be out of my depth here, but I believe I’ve read that changing a power supply may have more effect on the other gear in the system than the product it actually powers.  

Perhaps this accounts for the differing experiences reported when trying alternative supplies? 

Greybeard looks confused but this is often precisely the rationale. SMPS can introduce noise into the mains which is picked up by audio equipment which might not be plugged into it.

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Greybeard looks confused but this is often precisely the rationale. SMPS can introduce noise into the mains which is picked up by audio equipment which might not be plugged into it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  This was my experience...

My previous amplifier produced more mains noise - tested with a Belkin ‘sniffer’ - than anything else in the house, including microwaves, radios, phone chargers, etc.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t work out how to listen to my music with it unplugged (!) so I tried alternative wiring arrangements to minimise it.  Quite by fluke, I discovered that our now eight year old Sony TV seemed to remove most of the noise when it was plugged in, in the same room - it didn’t need to be in the same gang or power strip, or switched on.  Obviously Sony had bought a magic device from Russ Andrews to improve their TV performance!  Whatever the reason, it quietened the emissions from the amp.

Fortunarely, nothing in that system seemed terribly sensitive to noise, clicks or anything else, even the radio tuner and phono preamp.  But I can imagine this not applying universally. Some years ago I’d used devices very sensitive to heating thermostat switches, refrigerator clicks and things like taxi radio transmissions, so I know it can be a bind.  They might well take a dislike to noisy DAC power supplies. 

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

But only if the rest of your kit is really crap extremely poorly designed.

Keith

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

But only if the rest of your kit is really crap extremely poorly designed.

Keith

It's not to do with poor design of the kit, it's to do with poor design of the switched mode PSU's.

You sell a good range of kit, Keith. How many items on the books? 100? How many use electricity? How many use switched (wall wart) PSU's? How many use a standard kettle lead with internal PSU?

Which DACs and who says so? The manufacturers!

You had better get your mate @Fourlegs get his toolbox out and remove that pesky SMPS out of his DAC and replace it with a linear power supply!

SMPS can introduce noise into the mains which is picked up by audio equipment which might not be plugged into it.

I would love to see objective data, confirmed by multiple sources on this. Do you have any? Or is it just another audiophile myth that has gained traction?

A well designed power supply is a well designed power supply. It doesn’t matter if it’s a linear power supply or a SMPS.

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

How many use a standard kettle lead with internal PSU?

I have lots of kit that uses a “standard kettle lead” and guess what, they all have SMPS.

Super Wammer
Just now, Blackmetalboon said:

You had better get your mate @Fourlegs get his toolbox out and remove that pesky SMPS out of his DAC and replace it with a linear power supply!

I would love to see objective data, confirmed by multiple sources on this. Do you have any? Or is it just another audiophile myth that has gained traction?

A well designed power supply is a well designed power supply. It doesn’t matter if it’s a linear power supply or a SMPS.

Aha, that's why I don't like Chord kit!

Which audiophile myth are you talking about? The one put about by those in the trade who find it inconvenient to accept that SMPS can be noisy as well as cheap and flexible?

Will that be the "objective data confirmed by multiple sources" you have insisted upon before buying absolutely every piece of kit in your current setup? Or are you setting the bar higher for PSU's due to expectation bias? Does "multiple sources" include your own unreliable ears?

Anyway, must dash, I have some paint drying and it's really much more interesting.