I sense another naive person being dragged down the road of totally silly, pointless upgrades.

Cables, power supplies, isolation platforms, fuses and yes please upgrade that DAC before the music breaks down.

• Upvote 1

Morning Bokke, 

We are under no illusion that the oppo should give us many years of good service as is.

But I look upon HiFi not just as a means to listen to music ( or we would of gone to Argos for a all in one system), but also as a hobby and enjoy seeing how sometimes a simple change of equipment, be it a valve or cable can make a difference.

Hence we came to this site for advice. 

Super Dealer

The point is you are probably looking in the wrong direction. As I stated earlier in the thread, the standard Oppo Sonica run into that Croft amp and Rogers speakers produced a world class, deeply satisfying musical sound which I still talk about 10months later despite all the high end gear I own and which passes through my workshop. So for my money look at your listening room, amp or speakers for improvement and not an already great DAC.

David

• Like 1

Dealer
Posted (edited)

I've been down a few modification rabbit holes in the past.

Never again...

Edited by savvypaul

Super Dealer
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Trouble and strife said:

Morning Bokke, 

We are under no illusion that the oppo should give us many years of good service as is.

But I look upon HiFi not just as a means to listen to music ( or we would of gone to Argos for a all in one system), but also as a hobby and enjoy seeing how sometimes a simple change of equipment, be it a valve or cable can make a difference.

Hence we came to this site for advice. 

You have received really good advice, the Oppo equipment is well designed, a ‘kitchen table ‘ modder  is not going to improve it, adding valves/ output buffer may change the sound and ruinthe resale value of the unit.

Many of the ‘improvements’ touted by magazines and dealers are anything but, just snake oil and a waste of money.

Loudspeakers and their interaction with the room produce by far the largest gains in sound quality, that is where you should be looking.

Keith.

Edited by PuritéAudio
  • Upvote 1

There  look to be some solid mods being offered for the Sonica such as upgrading of the dac clock, high quality film output section, linear power supply.  These are all pretty much standard and well accepted methods of upgrading a components performance which I don't really see much wrong with myself.  The mods obviously come at a cost which has to be weighed against would the money be better spent elsewhere be that on other components  or moving up from the Sonica.  

The cravat I guess would be the benefit of such mods might not be easily audible depending on how revealing the rest of your system is. Keith's comment of money best spent elsewhere in the system yielding better improvements  is very relevant.

Super Dealer
28 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

There  look to be some solid mods being offered for the Sonica such as upgrading of the dac clock, high quality film output section, linear power supply.  These are all pretty much standard and well accepted methods of upgrading a components performance which I don't really see much wrong with myself.  The mods obviously come at a cost which has to be weighed against would the money be better spent elsewhere be that on other components  or moving up from the Sonica.  

The cravat I guess would be the benefit of such mods might not be easily audible depending on how revealing the rest of your system is. Keith's comment of money best spent elsewhere in the system yielding better improvements  is very relevant.

Those are solely going to improve the bank account of the ‘modder’ and not the equipment, they are not standard and are only accepted by those attempting to sell them to you.

Look at the myriad dac measurements over on ASR forum,one of the Oppo units is right at the top of the pile in terms of measurement.

Keith

Posted (edited)

IIRC, didn't Archimago test some sort of Oppo before and after being modded and the mods actually made it worse.

Edited by Blackmetalboon

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

Those are solely going to improve the bank account of the ‘modder’ and not the equipment, they are not standard and are only accepted by those attempting to sell them to you.

Look at the myriad dac measurements over on ASR forum,one of the Oppo units is right at the top of the pile in terms of measurement.

Keith

Keith for the most part honestly I do agree with your comments. But replacing a switching power supply to a quality linear power supply with high speed diodes and improved filtering and increased noise rejection is not uncommon as is replacing electrolytic capacitors in the signal path for film ones. This is a well trodden path for many hifi enthusiasts and for good reasons.  

Super Dealer

A well designed SMPS offers advantages over traditional linear supplies, RME for example state that their designs are immune to power supply because they have proper inbuilt regulation and filtration.

If you component is improved with a separate PS then it is intrinsically a poor design.

Keith

• Upvote 1

"A well designed SMPS offers advantages over traditional linear supplies, RME for example state that their designs are immune to power supply because they have proper inbuilt regulation and filtration. "

Well they would say that wouldn't they its a product they are marketing.

"If you component is improved with a separate PS then it is intrinsically a poor design. "

This is certainly not always the case, something like replacing a standard rectifier diode a 0.10p part to high speed diode 0.20p part which is simply more effective at isolating noise from your mains line. A practical example might be if you use an internet extender over mains circuit in your house sometimes with regular diodes noise artefacts may be noticeable through your equipment while higher speed diodes may be more effective at isolating this unwanted noise from your system. Both parts essentially do exactly the same thing just one is much more efficient at it. Its got nothing to do with being a intrinsically poor design just standard practise and general component cost lead decisions implemented by a manufacturer.  

Super Dealer

That argument is always trotted out, but electronic components  are relatively inexpensive.

Just choose a well engineered product, this is ably demonstrated by Amir’s  dac testing over at ASR, good design and implementation creates better performing components.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

Keith for the most part honestly I do agree with your comments. But replacing a switching power supply to a quality linear power supply with high speed diodes and improved filtering and increased noise rejection is not uncommon as is replacing electrolytic capacitors in the signal path for film ones. This is a well trodden path for many hifi enthusiasts and for good reasons.  

Agreed.

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

A well designed SMPS offers advantages over traditional linear supplies, RME for example state that their designs are immune to power supply because they have proper inbuilt regulation and filtration.

If you component is improved with a separate PS then it is intrinsically a poor design.

Keith

Disagreed.

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

Agreed.

Disagreed.

But you are in love with,

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/

admit it!

Keith

Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

But you are in love with,

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/

admit it!

Keith

:rofl:

Foo Central?

I like a good linear PSU over switched and I like a half-decent mains filter on my sources though not amps, and it stops there. No mains regeneration, no Entreq grounding boxes...

... the issues with switched PSUs are well understood; it is simply more cost effective for a manufacturer to use a cheap SMPS wall wart to allow a single product design to work across all markets.