Recommended Posts

After using my Sonica via Bluetooth tidal, and spending to much time on the net. I have seen that there are companies that mod the Sonica.

My question is has anyone here done this and what were your opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Firstly, why do you want to modify it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Trouble and strife said:

After using my Sonica via Bluetooth tidal, and spending to much time on the net. I have seen that there are companies that mod the Sonica.

My question is has anyone here done this and what were your opinions.

Have a look over on the diyaudio website there are a number of threads on modding Oppo's I was looking at the ones available for my Oppo 205. You will also be able to talk direct to those who have modified their own as well as a couple of pro guys who actually develop the mods and offer them for sale direct

https://www.diyaudio.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question, and one that we don't always have an answer for when we try different equipment.

The companies say it offers more and tighter bass, cleaner treble and better dynamics. 

We ultimately looking for fullness and texture of the music. Also quick sounding.

Recently tried some very expensive chord interconnects that gave a very detailed clean sound but lost the realism and emotion in our current setup, which surprise d us as we use a valve amp.

Used a Meridian 506.24 a few years back that was really nice but sold it in pursuit of the holy grail. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

I heard an Oppo Sonica at the Wam show last year. It was driving a Radford sta100 and some Rogers ls3s. It was by far the best sounding system in the whole show, so I don't think there's much wrong with it.

Per the modders the Achilles heel is the opamp output stage so you could:
1. Try better opamps
2. Install a discrete JFet or valve output stage

From memory I think someone has squeezed in a valve output stage but space must be tight!
David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer
1 hour ago, Trouble and strife said:

After using my Sonica via Bluetooth tidal, and spending to much time on the net. I have seen that there are companies that mod the Sonica.

My question is has anyone here done this and what were your opinions.

Bluetooth can’t hndle lossless, so the first upgrade could be to listen to lossless files.

Keith

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have since started listening via lossless, yes has improved the sound 😁.

We are relatively new to the world of hifi so greatful for all advice!

Surprised no one has any feed back on mods to the Sonica though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 04/01/2019 at 12:02, Trouble and strife said:

Surprised no one has any feed back on mods to the Sonica though.

Bear in mind mods may not improve what is already an excellent DAC but will likely negatively affect resale value. The money would likely be better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Totally agree with the above. Also Sonica sales were lowish in UK and AFAIK the modders are all US based

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:23, Juancho said:

I heard an Oppo Sonica at the Wam show last year. It was driving a Radford sta100 and some Rogers ls3s. It was by far the best sounding system in the whole show, so I don't think there's much wrong with it.

Per the modders the Achilles heel is the opamp output stage so you could:
1. Try better opamps
2. Install a discrete JFet or valve output stage

From memory I think someone has squeezed in a valve output stage but space must be tight!
David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
 

Thanks for the Kind words David, as I think that was my setup, although it was a Croft OTL3, amp not a Radford. I love this DAC and there is no way I would personally do anything to it, leave well alone, but I know people cannot help themselves.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Hi Greybeard,
Good to hear from you! A Croft not a big Radford then! I may have forgotten the amp but not the amazing sound and integration. Hope all's well with you!
David


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Juancho said:

Hi Greybeard,
Good to hear from you! A Croft not a big Radford then! I may have forgotten the amp but not the amazing sound and integration. Hope all's well with you!
David


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
 

Hi  all good here thanks, and a happy new year to you.

Are you going to be at the show this year? I will be there again, probably with some DIY actives this time. Hope to see you there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer
13 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Hi  all good here thanks, and a happy new year to you.

Are you going to be at the show this year? I will be there again, probably with some DIY actives this time. Hope to see you there :)

Hi, certainly hope to go to the show again, so yes hope to see you there😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Juancho - I made the Croft OTL in to monoblocks but at least they were the right MFG my excuse I was pissed , what s yours for making it a very different amplifier ? Have to agree the system that Colin had did sound great , but not my favourite (sorry Colin)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.