Knipester

Roon Core help

16 minutes ago, Nagraboy said:

Roon due to having a man cave doesn’t make a lot of sense to me

It was in reference to dudywoxer's description in an earlier post 

17 hours ago, dudywoxer said:

If you have your hi fi buried in a man cave it may not be worth paying for, especially if you lock yourself away to listen

I’ve a 500gb ssd i7 NUC heading my way. I haven’t used a windows pc for decades but hopefully setting up Roon ROCK will be frailty straightforward. 

Thanks for all the advice. 

• Upvote 1

ROCK is relatively straightforward to install. Getting the codecs on it is probably the most challenging bit but there is plenty of help should it come to that.

I use Roon on my Innuos zen mini, i previously used a MacBook pro but wanted to use something a bit more user friendly in my main lounge, i can now use either my phone/ipad or MacBook as a roon remote and it works a treat, the zen mini is very simple to set up and has 750 of my hi-res/cd albums on it and only 30% used capacity, i also have Tidal as my streaming service which completes my set up. 

9 hours ago, The Stifmeister said:

I use Roon on my Innuos zen mini, i previously used a MacBook pro but wanted to use something a bit more user friendly in my main lounge, i can now use either my phone/ipad or MacBook as a roon remote and it works a treat, the zen mini is very simple to set up and has 750 of my hi-res/cd albums on it and only 30% used capacity, i also have Tidal as my streaming service which completes my set up. 

I discounted the innuos route for now as I gather they don’t have the processing power sufficient to run the dsp elements of Roon although I hear they sound very good. 

Dyed in the wool cd guy here but I recently took on Roon and Tidal and I have to say I find the whole thing very entertaining. My laptop is starting to fail which is all the excuse I need to go shopping. I might give building a fanless nuc pc a try. Decent tech is just so affordable these days.

Super Wammer

I was going to "roll my own" NUC and add ROCK but decided to go with the Nucleus instead.  All my C.D. collection is on an external SSD and plugged directly into one of the USB ports with the other port connected to my DAC. It's a bit expensive to get going but worth it in the long run.

Morning,
I'm trying to find my way around room ... I'm not a subscriber as I'm still doing my research on the product ... Could you please help me with some simple questions:

If I install room on my laptop, the laptop becomes the core - right?

Once set up does the core need to stay on?

Can room be installed on an Innuos? And therefore act as the core and endpoint?

Can the MK3 range of Innuos handle DSP?

My aim is to keep box count to a minimum and remove the need of a pc / laptop having to be on or near to hand.

Many thanks,

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Yes the laptop will be with core, and needs to be on with roon running when you wish to use it.

Not a clue about Innuos, but looking at the web site it does not mention roon, and roon don't seem to list innuos.  Maybe look into roon Rock on a intel NUC if you decide to go roon. All music servers are in effect computers running whenever you want to use them. 

I run roon core on a ''server'' computer that does lots of other stuff as well. Stream out via a couple of squeezeboxes, controlled vis an android pad. 

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Some. They use Celeron CPU’s so probably best to limit DSP to upsampling PCM or DSD64. Above that Innuos say you may run into problems.

Thanks for the quick responses.
The latest generation of Innuos players, specifically the zen mklll has a Intel Quad core CPU N4200 - would this be sufficient for DSP and room correction?

Yes I appreciate hi fi servers like Innuos are pcs ... It is my want and need to get away from traditional looking pcs and laptops as part of my hi fi set up .... Including my Nas.

So I could install room on an Innuos which will act as core and endpoint which I could control from my phone and tablet?

Cool - thanks,

You cannot do all of what you want to do with a N4200 processor. Perhaps some DSP or room correction but not both. 

RoonBridge is software to run on a device local to your hifi. It is low powered and can be run on something like a Pi or, it can be incorporated into a network connected streamer or DAC. 

If you really need to do room correction and serious DSP like upsampling to DSD you need to employ a machine that sits within Roons specified performance range. That is a gen 5 i3 or better. A gen 8 i3 can do what you want to a single endpoint. That will mean going for something more single minded about Roon. 

You cannot do all of what you want to do with a N4200 processor. Perhaps some DSP or room correction but not both. 
RoonBridge is software to run on a device local to your hifi. It is low powered and can be run on something like a Pi or, it can be incorporated into a network connected streamer or DAC. 
If you really need to do room correction and serious DSP like upsampling to DSD you need to employ a machine that sits within Roons specified performance range. That is a gen 5 i3 or better. A gen 8 i3 can do what you want to a single endpoint. That will mean going for something more single minded about Roon. 
Thanks cable monkey - got it