Edited by falcoron
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, tuga said:

Rather unconventional looks but one that firmly on my to listen list:

gradient-1.4-valk-fiilis.jpg

Cool! 

Super Dealer

They are super loudspeakers if you don’t mind uncoloured,transparent sound with excellent bass response.

Keith

Usually when I hear a speaker that is described as uncoloured and transparent they sound bright to my ears. Getting older seems to really highlight that now! They read really well though and love the looks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tuga said:

Well over my budget 

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, falcoron said:

Well over my budget 

You mean this budget as in your original post? "So I’m looking a cheapish ( around £1k) pair of speakers used or new doesn’t matter that will allow me to remove the subs."

Here to help...

Yep I’m keeping strict with myself, waiting for a reply from a guy I know in Poland regarding Pylon Saffire  31 speakers. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, falcoron said:

Yep I’m keeping strict with myself, waiting for a reply from a guy I know in Poland regarding Pylon Saffire  31 speakers. 

Smart looking speakers. Have you heard them?

Posted (edited)

No, I don’t get much to hear over here in Northern Ireland as there are only a couple of shops and they don’t carry a big range, been buying blind most of my life relying on forums and reviews to get a feel of how things sound, I do go to some shows but most rooms are shockingly poor, only made a total hash twice but sold on again with no loss

Edited by falcoron

Posted (edited)

I’ve read all the pylon reviews with translator app, they have a cracking build, quality drivers from seas and scans peak and use quality cross over components all point to point wired, add to that superb fit and finish  ( they make cabs for audio physic and a few others) do real wood veneers or any high gloss colour you want. 

Not many others do that fir around a grand fir a 3 way speaker!

think I’m going to take a plunge 

Edited by falcoron
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

So this was your original post (just to remind us).

On 30/12/2018 at 11:29, falcoron said:

After getting utterly fed up with upgrading with little reward once you hit a high spend area I’ve sold most of my hi end system ( Luxman mq88 valve amp and odeon speakers) 
I’ve have tube amps for 20 years but when selling my Luxman amp got an offer to buy it from a Belgium dealer who offered me a brand new perreaux 80i amp and good amount of cash I thought what the hell! Done the deal and as this was my first non valve in 2 decades and my first ever mosfet amp I am truly surprised how nice this wee amp is! It sounds lovely, nice power relaxed but not to much do with nice punch and detail, it’s brimming with connections a phono stage and even has an onboard usb DAC! Which is ok but I have a superb SOtM SDp1000ex 
Along with the best hi fi bargain I know of for streaming the SOtM ultra 200. 
I played this combo with my odeon rigolleto before I sold them and to be honest I didn’t miss the superb Luxman at all, I fact I think the extra power and control with the slight warmth worked wonders. 
Now these are gone I’m using my trusty back up speakers Frugalhorn XL
I made a few years ago, and use with 2 BK subs with antimode, which is really good but takes up a bit of room.
So I’m looking a cheapish ( around £1k) pair of speakers used or new doesn’t matter that will allow me to remove the subs. I’ve been looking ( but haven’t heard) the following as these seem to be well reviewed and dig deep, room is 15’x15’ and sound pretty good with very little issues. Only looking at floor standers 
1, Tannoy XT8F 
2, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 
3, Sonus Faber chameleon 
Others that are intriguing are Taga, Canton and Dali. 
I
don’t like bright! and what I mean is I don’t like thin all top end no bass.
I’d like something neutral with a hint of warmth and with good beep tight bass. Midrange sweetness and easy to drive with speaker terminals low down and easy to place in a room without coming to far away from rear walls. 
Big ask but I’ve seen all above at good prices either used or new discontinued ranges. Anyone own or heard any of these can comment? 
All recommendations, advice welcome

and then you posted this:

22 minutes ago, falcoron said:

I’ve read all the pylon reviews with translator app, they have a cracking build, quality drivers from seas and scans peak and use quality cross over components all point to point wired, add to that superb fit and finish  ( they make cabs for audio physic and a few others) do real wood veneers or any high gloss colour you want. 

Not many others do that fir around a grand fir a 3 way speaker!

think I’m going to take a plunge 

I'm not sure whether taking the plunge based on specs and online reviews is your usual way of buying hifi but if it is then I wouldn't be surprised if you were tired of "upgrading with little reward".

Firstly, no-one else has your ears, your tastes, your equipment and your room.

Secondly, the world of online reviews is as murky as the printed magazine world: advertising pays, and I can't remember the last time I read a review which didn't end up heartily recommending the item under review, even if heavily caveated ("with patience and the right partnering equipment, this product offers impressive performancs and value for money": lots of hedging of bets there then!).

I hear you re location but GB is not far away. Buy some flights/crossings/chap B&B and get to a few demos. They won't be the same as at home but will give a much better perspective than reading an article.

Also talk to "neighbour" @CnoEvil

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Also talk to "neighbour" @CnoEvil

@falcoron I'm here, if I can help.

I was quite impressed with Taga when I heard them. Here is what I said at the time (a few years ago at Kronos AV):

TAGA - possibly the best (affordable) speakers you've never heard of.
TAGA Harmony, to give them their full title, is a brand of speaker that is made in Poland. They manufacturer all their components in-house, and make a point of giving remarkable VFM, while still retaining high quality.....or so they claim. As yet, I'm not sure if they are widely available.

The VFM sweetspot from the company is probably the £799 F-60 3 way Floorstander from the Platinum V.2 range, which I'm told has around 70% of the talent of the one that I heard....and is available in high gloss Black / White, Walnut and Wenge.

If you want a ridiculously cheap 5.1 AV speaker system, consisting of 2 Floorstanders (Fronts); 2 Bookshelf (Rear); Centre and Sub......yours for £550 (or £299 without the Sub). 

While I was in the area, I decided to pop in and personally have a listen .......all for the good of the forum, of course. :roll: The speakers I chose to hear were the most expensive  ones from their top Platimum SE Range (F-100 SE) , and cost £1850 for the Piano Black or White Lacquer.

They were beautifully built, with a lovely Black Piano Lacquer, that had (IIRC) 6 or 7 hand-finished coats. They had very stable outrigger feet, with big chunky spikes, that reminded me of those on the MA PL300. It stood 109 cm tall, had a 1" metal tweeter, a 5.25" Mid and 2 x 6.5" Bass Drivers....and had a single port at the front.

They have an excellent Sensitivity of 93 dB, an Impedance of 6 Ohms, and will take amps from 20-280W. The Frequency Response goes from a rather optimistic 28 Hz bass, to 40 kHz.
I chose similarly priced components to match it with:
CDP......Electro PC-1 (£1499)
AMP.....Electro ECI-3 (£1950)
I/C..........TQ Blue (Balanced)
S/C...........................TQ Blue
P/C....................Titan Helios
I spent about an hour throwing a variety of music at them. The amp was cold, and the room wasn't ideal, but even still, it was clear that they have little to be embarassed about, at their price. The treble was clean and detailed, and though I was looking hard for it, there was no sign of the brightness that metal domes are often known for.....though how much of this was down to the Electro pairing, is hard to tell.
The mids were acurate, with no exaggerated warmth, and the Bass was deep, without being overpowering. The impression was of a balanced, coherent sound, with no part of the audible spectrum taking over, and no particular nasties.
The big question for me, was how they compared with my current favorites, namely the R500 / R700......this is a difficult one, because they were in a different room, with different kit.....but the fact that I paused for a moment to consider, demonstrates to me they are in the same ball park. I would say they have slightly less obvious Bass, and are slightly more open.
As it stands, with what I've heard, I would find it hard to look passed the R700s, but if you want something "front ported", with a more manageable bass.....these are well worth a listen, provided you can find them. Keep your eyes out though, as if you get to hear them, let me know what you think.

You should also try the Kef R3....though the new model has had a price rise (maybe there are some old R300 still floating about)....Lyric Hifi are the dealers here.

The Tannoys that I have heard could sound a bit shouty with the wrong amp match....but good when well matched. I haven't heard Perreaux, so can't comment on how it might sound.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks a million for that very nicely written, I’ve heard a few Kef’s and most (not all ) never really floated my boat to be honest. I’ve been to loads of shows, owned hundreds of different systems and have lots of friends who had done similar so I have heard lots and lots of speakers in my time. Bought from every shop in Northern Ireland at some point and know what I like in a system for my aging ears. I totally agree that auditioning is key to getting things right but that is not always poss and sometimes you have to take a gamble! ( not for everyone I know)

Saying that buying at distance gives some prectection if you really don’t like what you buy. At under a grand or there abouts, the speaker world has really woken up probably as Q acoustic has raised the bar and a few others like Fyne, kralk, and a few from Poland and surrounding countries have really pushed the spec. I have a few friends on the continent that are really into the hifi game much more than I can dream of and to a point they keep me well informed. I work overseas a fair bit so do get to hear a lot of hi fi when I can and to get out of hotel rooms! 

I’ve been speaking to a few and they have all heard the pylon range or most of the ones at shows anyway. One guy I know well from Finland when working in Sweden and Finland together (I’ve heard his system which was superb ) has home demo’d the Saffire 31.

His system is, speakers are Living voice and amp from lavardin, streaming with PS audio. He said the pylon speakers are sensational for the money. Much better detail, soundstage with deeper better quality bass, mids very similar but treble so much sweeter and better detail, I’ve owned living voice and loved them but found bass a little shy and treble smooth but safe and mids excellent. 

His hifi mates also heard these at his house and Everyone of them were gobsmacked how good these are!

ive been speaking to a few Pylon dealers and the Manager over Europe and they have been exceptionally helpful. They have loads of speakers in 4 or 5 price ranges I asked for recommendations and gave them info on what I like, room size furniture etc. System now and music tastes, they all recommended the Saffire 31. Now there are a lot of more expensive speakers in their portfolio and it would be easy to recommend these more expensive models to get more money from me but not one did so that was both condistant and reassuring, I have a few more owners reviews to read that I have to get translated and I don’t read too many magazine reviews I tend to ask the owners and fellow hi fi geeks who are a lot more real world when reviewing, warts and all. Pylon also have a Facebook forum page and I’ve PM’d a few owners there too and have had great replies.

Cheers fir all the comments won’t suit everyone the way I do things but hey! Were all different and all love a challenge lol 

Edited by falcoron