Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

falcoron

Starting over

After getting utterly fed up with upgrading with little reward once you hit a high spend area I’ve sold most of my hi end system ( Luxman mq88 valve amp and odeon speakers) 
I’ve have tube amps for 20 years but when selling my Luxman amp got an offer to buy it from a Belgium dealer who offered me a brand new perreaux 80i amp and good amount of cash I thought what the hell! Done the deal and as this was my first non valve in 2 decades and my first ever mosfet amp I am truly surprised how nice this wee amp is! It sounds lovely, nice power relaxed but not to much do with nice punch and detail, it’s brimming with connections a phono stage and even has an onboard usb DAC! Which is ok but I have a superb SOtM SDp1000ex 
Along with the best hi fi bargain I know of for streaming the SOtM ultra 200. 
I played this combo with my odeon rigolleto before I sold them and to be honest I didn’t miss the superb Luxman at all, I fact I think the extra power and control with the slight warmth worked wonders. 
Now these are gone I’m using my trusty back up speakers Frugalhorn XL
I made a few years ago, and use with 2 BK subs with antimode, which is really good but takes up a bit of room.
So I’m looking a cheapish ( around £1k) pair of speakers used or new doesn’t matter that will allow me to remove the subs. I’ve been looking ( but haven’t heard) the following as these seem to be well reviewed and dig deep, room is 15’x15’ and sound pretty good with very little issues. Only looking at floor standers 
1, Tannoy XT8F 
2, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 
3, Sonus Faber chameleon 
Others that are intriguing are Taga, Canton and Dali. 
I don’t like bright! and what I mean is I don’t like thin all top end no bass.
I’d like something neutral with a hint of warmth and with good beep tight bass. Midrange sweetness and easy to drive with speaker terminals low down and easy to place in a room without coming to far away from rear walls. 
Big ask but I’ve seen all above at good prices either used or new discontinued ranges. Anyone own or heard any of these can comment? 
All recommendations, advice welcome. Some piccies as is now!

C2E475DC-0AE1-430F-AFE9-8DEF765D7B00.jpeg

346B96EC-DB25-4D96-A9E2-FE263BA763E5.jpeg

8641818D-F947-463B-BD5D-DB810386865C.jpeg

4915CA1D-B9E2-4568-BB35-4009EE28F957.jpeg

F010D344-F5C4-417D-8A28-FD6A4A93A4C1.jpeg

Edited by falcoron
Adding photos
  • Like 3

Super Wammer

If you like tight, tuneful bass, I'd look at sealed cabinet speakers, they usually benefit from being close to a wall.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

just adore the frugalhorns and had a pair here for a while , the proac 148 here might be worth a go , very well priced and they would not need a sub methinks 

• Like 1

Have had a couple of Proac’s Over the years and heard loads but just thought meh! Sorry hate cherry too lol

Not heard these but they might fit the specs, Also custom finish.  http://kralkaudio.com/shop/kralk-audio-tdb-10-professional-3-way-monitor

KRALK AUDIO TDB-10 PROFESSIONAL 3 WAY MONITOR

£845.00  £950.00

010-002-250x314.jpg

Edited by mr.me

8 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Dang, their range of speakers are gorgeous!

Oh never heard of these before look nice! Lots of speakers from Europe around getting nice reviews and good prices. Kralk would not pass wife muster and I want floor standers 

Super Wammer

P3063108.JPG

Pylon speakers from Poland. When I heard them at a show they were astonishing for the money. Awards for best speaker in 2018.

Cheaper AE 305

acoustic_energy_ae_305.jpg

4 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Have you heard these?

10 minutes ago, yoda900 said:

P3063108.JPG

Pylon speakers from Poland. When I heard them at a show they were astonishing for the money. Awards for best speaker in 2018.

Cheaper AE 305

acoustic_energy_ae_305.jpg

They look stunning, lots of polish speakers on market fir great spec finish and little money!

2 minutes ago, falcoron said:

Have you heard these?

Yes, the Rosso's I had on demo from Audio Oasis. Absolutely storming.Sadly my room is too small for them (aka tiny room and they need some space away from the rear wall), as soon as I move I will be purchasing a set.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, falcoron said:

Cheers will get a look 

Might help..

The build quality of these speakers is remarkeable at any price, let alone their rrp.

ELB1 copy.jpg

Elb2 copy.jpg

Super Wammer

Hi ron ,...im in process of moving my system to the bedroom set up , so my new harbee fives wil be more suitable ……….. hence my …. Mowgan Mabon floorstanders will be up for sale , but I will be asking 1500, for them,....plenty of news if you google mowgan audio …...the wam feed will show , and pictures of mine I had of steve rb are there....plus info review from m7rso who has a pair.....these now are in the region of six grand now...……..worth a look.

regards .

keith.