Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Spen ago

Allo DigiOne Signature - better than Kali Reclocker?

I currently have a Rpi3 with Kali Reclocker connected via i2s to a DDDAC 1794 built by a fine wammer by the name of Dipstick (Des). Wondering if I should 'upgrade' to the latest/greatest HAT, the DigiOne Signature. This is a SPDIF device, so guessing I will need to try and connect to the DAC via SPDIF, but had thought that this was inferior to i2s?!

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-signature.html

Any Pi users out there go experience of the new Signature, or view on if the change would yield decent reward? Have considered going the Lumin/Aries route, but would prefer to put the funds into other areas of my system that might yield greater improvement.

i2S is the way to go. 

• Like 1

I've had the Allo Signature for about a month connected via coax to a Chord Hugo2.  The pair certainly have a clean sound with solid bass, but I haven't compared it to an i2S so I can't comment.

• Upvote 1

I’ve had one for a week or two now. After the initial ‘Blimey, this sounds impressive’ , I have lived with it for a while connected via spdif to my DDDAC, and the biggest compliment I can pay is that I am listening more often, for longer and just enjoying my system.

Yes, there is more detail, but the overall impression I get is the presentation is more balanced and extended across the frequency range. I’m not spending my time picking out what’s missing or exaggerated as I was before with the Kali.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about the Allo, I fitted the Audiophonics AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M KALI EDITION Raspberry Pi / I2S & SPDIF / PCM DSD, the sound quality is stunning not just for the price but it is so good.

I've got an Rpi 2 with the TXCO MK3 top hat and again the sound quality is superb, my son has stolen it to use in  his system!

• Upvote 1

On 29/12/2018 at 06:42, Cable Monkey said:
28 minutes ago, Dipstick said:

Has it made the difference you were looking for Spencer or are you still thinking of upgrading the dac?

Hi Des, the DS has made a difference to overall sound quality. But I have to say it's only been part of the solution to arrive at the kind of sound that suits my taste, like most systems I expect.

It is easier to listen to for longer, more like my turntable set-up. In fact, the biggest change seemed to be on bass/rhythm biased music, I noticed that it had a similar pace and depth to my Rega TT on stuff like Grace Jones. From my experimenting back and forth between different streamers (Sonos/Macbook/Kali/DigiOne Signature), the lasting impression is that the signal provided just becomes cleaner/clearer/more coherent  with each step. 

The DDDAC provides the ability to discern improvements in the source, which in my book proves what a good bit of kit it really is. In time I may make upgrades, but I wasn't convinced that changing power supplies etc. would provide the shift in presentation  I was seeking. I am happy just to leave it alone for a while.

What has made a big difference is changing amps. I am currently trying out some 25w Class A Marantz monoblocks, which immediately opened up the soundstage and provided a much more solid midrange/bass. The annoying 'thin/hard' midrange has gone. Pretty much proved that my previous power amp wasn't the best match, and had a lean overall sound.

Last piece of the puzzle was using DSP in Roon, a few tweaks across the bass/midrange and I am happy!

Hope all is good with you and those lovely speakers.

Yep all is good, currently have a nice Vti trilogy on loan while i buuld myself a class a FW aleph j clone and mesmerize buffer pre amp. The Vti though is maybe the best match I've heard for my speakers (and ears).

The new dac is good, not up to the dddac via spdif but maybe it's match over i2s (no reclocker needed as it's onboard) and I've just built Salas shunt to power it. It's a tweaker delight with hundreds of homebrew filters to try (If I can be bothered) and it responds well to better power supplies.

You're probably right about the power supplies, better version of what you have now but not different, the Sowters make a difference but the cost is over £1k when you include the extra boards. I've always had a preference for class a both SS and valve, it just sounds right and matches well with my speakers (which is a bonus), good luck with the experiments, sounds like you're on the right track.