rabski

Setup advice please (streaming 4K)

About to embark on a fairly major upgrade without going insane.

Based on assorted advice, shortly arriving will be a Sony UBP-X700 4K Bluray player and a Denon AVR-X2200W receiver/processor. In a few days, we'll also be upgrading to a 4K 'smart' TV.

The whole lot will be operated (I hope, correctly) by the Harmony One remote I already have. The Logic website suggests all devices are fully supported.

Issue is simple. I want to stream at least Netflix 4K. All the devices seem to have the ability to connect via wifi and support Netflix. I obviously need to use the receiver to power speakers, but what's the best way to route it all? My logical head says feed all the sources to the receiver and use the receiver HDMI out to the TV. Use the receiver to stream and keep it simple. Does this make sense?

Moreover, will the Harmony One allow all the Netflix commands, etc. for the Denon?

• Like 1

I have only used the TV app for Netflix and that works well, just be careful with 4K and WiFi I found it to be much more stable with a hard ethernet connection. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

The Av will have HDMI inputs or outputs as well as the Tv which one of the HDMI's will be a switchable ARC which you just press which input you want to use on the Av i.e Sony 4k player  , sat box which you will select which one you want to use on you Av remote control but if your need a long HDMI lead depending how far the Tv is away from your Av which i bought a audioquest pearl HDMI which is 3m and good quality and a 1.5m HDMI lead for the 4k player which is normally close to the Av anyway . 

Netflix is normal on most smart Tv's these days  which you just sign-in to your account and just sit back and watch your film but recommend that you use a internet lead so there is no lag or buffer problems with the internet  and if your using the radio on the Av or streaming from it then use a internet lead for that as well .

And normally you can download the Av user manual from denon and you might be able to get the remote codes for the Harmony on the Denon user manual or the Denon website so you can control all of your devices  

If i haven't come close to your question then please say and i will answer it if i can  :)

I have a similar setup. Sony 4K tv, Denon amp and a blueray player that will stream 4K. I use the app on the TV and connect the amp to it using the ARC connection on both. The amp and the TV are intelligent enought to know where the sound is coming from and it all works well. On the Sony TV you also have to tell it which connections are using HDR 4K.

Do not use WiFi. It is capable of it but you really want to restrict WiFi to hand held devices. Use Ethernet where practicable. Hard wiring streaming devices help me a great deal to achieve stability on my network. 

Thanks guys.

Probably 'suck it and see'. TV will be a couple more weeks (waiting to see what happens to prices come New Year). Although I've got the receiver and UHD player, I'll wait to set the whole lot up in one go.

I could run everything into the TV and use ARC into the Denon, but most reviews highly rate the Denon upscaling, and as the majority of our viewing will not be from 4K sources, that's a significant factor. Also, running all the sources into the TV means Chromecast thing, Bluray, receiver, Virgin box and laptop connection. That's a lot of power and HDMI cables up the wall.

I'll experiment with WiFi. We have a very fasrt cable connection and a very fast router. My desktop here is connected via wireless and I'm getting over 170mb download speed even at peak times. The AV setup is in the room directly under the room with the router, so it might be OK. Running a wired connection is less than ideal, as it's going to mean running a cable up the outside wall and some hole drilling. Not out of the question, but I'd rather avoid it if possible.

11 hours ago, rabski said:

Thanks guys.

Probably 'suck it and see'. TV will be a couple more weeks (waiting to see what happens to prices come New Year). Although I've got the receiver and UHD player, I'll wait to set the whole lot up in one go.

I could run everything into the TV and use ARC into the Denon, but most reviews highly rate the Denon upscaling, and as the majority of our viewing will not be from 4K sources, that's a significant factor. Also, running all the sources into the TV means Chromecast thing, Bluray, receiver, Virgin box and laptop connection. That's a lot of power and HDMI cables up the wall.

I'll experiment with WiFi. We have a very fasrt cable connection and a very fast router. My desktop here is connected via wireless and I'm getting over 170mb download speed even at peak times. The AV setup is in the room directly under the room with the router, so it might be OK. Running a wired connection is less than ideal, as it's going to mean running a cable up the outside wall and some hole drilling. Not out of the question, but I'd rather avoid it if possible.

understand about to meany cables 

But your need 2 HDMI cables a long one to reach the Tv if its mounted on the wall and a short one for the 4k player  at least one for the switching  ARC and one for the 4k player and you can go to somewhere like home base and by some trunking and hide the cables and paint the trunking room color so that way you have no need to drill holes 

In Regards of wifi 

I am on virgin media myself so you should have a router that does 2hrz and 5hrz i would try and use the 5hrz which is faster and try to not overload 2hrz with other devices that you have around the house that's the trouble with wifi  then the router crashes if you have to much stuff on one network so that is why the hardwire internet cable is better and more reliable and faster  .

about upscaling you can have your Tv do that or the 4k player but didn't think that a Av could do the upscaling  only passing and decoding the sound and picture through the HDMI cables as the Hdmi carries sound and picture 

Super Wammer

As your AV unit is 4K already it can have any units (Amazon Fire , Android  etc ) connected to it and then HDMI out to the TV . However as you are only going to be using an APP I have found that the TV wire connected and using the TV app for picture with the TV sound output set to DIGITAL out via the Optical and then the Av unit used for sound only gives me the best picture and Sound combined.

I know this will depend on the TV and the AV unit used (LG 55 inch / Old Onkyo AV) so in your case the AV might offer a better quality for both 4K picture and sound over the TV . But I have also found that you get the full 4k picture with both Netflix and Amazon via the TV Apps rather than a HDMI in . So if you have the time it is worth just checking and seeing if there is any difference .

27 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

about upscaling you can have your Tv do that or the 4k player but didn't think that a Av could do the upscaling  only passing and decoding the sound and picture through the HDMI cables as the Hdmi carries sound and picture 

The Denon can certainly do a good job of upscaling but common thinking is that nearly always best for TV to do that job.

2 minutes ago, samd said:

The Denon can certainly do a good job of upscaling but common thinking is that nearly always best for TV to do that job.

ok learnt something new today then :)

On 31/12/2018 at 10:17, Blacksabbath25 said:

understand about to meany cables 

But your need 2 HDMI cables a long one to reach the Tv if its mounted on the wall and a short one for the 4k player  at least one for the switching  ARC and one for the 4k player and you can go to somewhere like home base and by some trunking and hide the cables and paint the trunking room color so that way you have no need to drill holes 

In Regards of wifi 

I am on virgin media myself so you should have a router that does 2hrz and 5hrz i would try and use the 5hrz which is faster and try to not overload 2hrz with other devices that you have around the house that's the trouble with wifi  then the router crashes if you have to much stuff on one network so that is why the hardwire internet cable is better and more reliable and faster  .

Those cables aren't very mean once you get to know them.