Mikeyn

Advice Needed

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Mikeyn said:

So in regards to the source, do you agree that a linn is the way to go?

The only person who can decide that is you.....Try to get a listen....and if possible compare with alternatives.

Linn  is the right way to go for me...and I have heard it with the A49 and older Refs....and I have heard it with Arcam Class G (AVR600) with 205/2s. it would generally be my default recommendation.....Not to buy per se, but to put on a dem list to try. I would no more "tell" people what HiFi to buy, than tell them what art to buy.

Whatever way you go....keep us in the loop. 

You have the making of a very good 2 Channel system......so take on board the suggestions you get on here....but trust your judgement on what you hear and whether you like it.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone, I now need more help. Technical re wiring.

So my system once I have removed the alpha 8 integrated and power amps will be -

Rega 10 Deck

Yamaha AV processor/Amplifier E DSP 800

Yamaha Tape Deck XK 580

Alpha 7 Radio reciever

Alpha 7 CD

Oppo 3d blue wray player

Freeview box 

Kef reference 205 centre speaker

Q1's rear speakers

Kef sub

Currently the wiring was done in such a way that the Yam was the master volume control and I would have to turn the arcam integrated up to get volume through the front speakers for music, So speakers all run from Yam except surround.And all separates wired into the Yam inputs.

I am sure that this will not be the best set up with the new A49. Please can someone advise the best way for me to wire up, to get the best for music and the AV

Thanks

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Can you not keep it essentially as before, but using the A49 for the stereo KEFs and your turntable, CD etc?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I'm not sure I understand your current set-up entirely but it doesn't sound as though it was necessarily letting the Arcams perform to their potential if I read it right; certainly not if the Yamaha was in the stereo playback chain as well as the Arcams.

It feels like you want two systems which overlap:

1) For pure stereo, you have at least four sources which I presume you listen to in stereo only: deck, tape, tuner, CD. For stereo you want these going into your A49 and out from there to your KEF 205/2's. You might consider the Freeview box an additional stereo source  (I don't think it's multi-channel but could be wrong).

You really must NOT put the Yamaha anywhere in this stereo playback chain. It will be by far the weakest link vs the A49.

2) However, for movies you want your Blu-Ray player into your Yamaha receiver and out to both your front 205/2's and your other KEF's.

3) The prescription. Somebody will tell me why this is sub-optimal but let me put it out there:

  • Connect the four (five with Freeview?) stereo sources to your A49
  • Connect Blu-Ray (and Freeview?) to the Yamaha
  • Keep the connector bars in the KEF 205/2 speaker terminals
  • Connect the A49 to one set of speaker terminals and the Yamaha to the other
  • When listening in stereo, keep the Yamaha amp off
  • When watching a 5.1 movie, keep the Arcam off

This should get you an excellent dedicated stereo system AND and the surround system you enjoy today.

Somebody will be along in a minute to tell me/you why this won't work or carries risks... but if it does then you're cooking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I'm not sure I understand your current set-up entirely but it doesn't sound as though it was necessarily letting the Arcams perform to their potential if I read it right; certainly not if the Yamaha was in the stereo playback chain as well as the Arcams.

It feels like you want two systems which overlap:

1) For pure stereo, you have at least four sources which I presume you listen to in stereo only: deck, tape, tuner, CD. For stereo you want these going into your A49 and out from there to your KEF 205/2's. You might consider the Freeview box an additional stereo source  (I don't think it's multi-channel but could be wrong).

You really must NOT put the Yamaha anywhere in this stereo playback chain. It will be by far the weakest link vs the A49.

2) However, for movies you want your Blu-Ray player into your Yamaha receiver and out to both your front 205/2's and your other KEF's.

3) The prescription. Somebody will tell me why this is sub-optimal but let me put it out there:

  • Connect the four (five with Freeview?) stereo sources to your A49
  • Connect Blu-Ray (and Freeview?) to the Yamaha
  • Keep the connector bars in the KEF 205/2 speaker terminals
  • Connect the A49 to one set of speaker terminals and the Yamaha to the other
  • When listening in stereo, keep the Yamaha amp off
  • When watching a 5.1 movie, keep the Arcam off

This should get you an excellent dedicated stereo system AND and the surround system you enjoy today.

Somebody will be along in a minute to tell me/you why this won't work or carries risks... but if it does then you're cooking.

It's a valiant try Nigel,  but far wide of the mark, due to lack of experience of this type of set up I suspect & some of the eqpmt as stated by the O.P..

Firstly the Yam is a processor not an AV receiver/Amp ( if memory serves) & only has pre-outs for the front speakers & has powered outputs for the centre & rears. The OP should therefore disregard entirely re front speaker connection advice. The only connections to the front L/R speakers, should be From the Arcam, if my suggestion below does indeed work!

From wot I've gleaned on the net re t' A49 it is possible to user configure one of the analogue inputs on the A49 as a Unity gain AV input, if this is correct, you would simply connect t' Yam processors front L/R pre-amp outs to this input & select this input when wanting 5.1 A/V sound. I have noted there is one input labelled A/V on the Arcam, it may already be pre configured as a Unity gain input, or you may have to refer to the manual & do it yerself. Arcam do make mention of this amp having flexible power amp options & have offered good AV integration in many of their amps for some time. When in A/V mode all five speakers will be controlled by the processors vol control, bypassing the Arcams vol control entirely.

Other than that Nigel is correct in saying that connecting all two channel hifi sources directly to the Arcam is optimal & connect any A/V sources directly to t' Yam processor. The Yam should be out of circuit when The AV input is not selected, so it shouldn't really matter if it is on when listening to two channel sources. Other than the obvious fact of not wasting leccy unnecessarily.  :-)

The beauty of this type of setup, is the good integration, whilst allowing you to still have a fairly purist 2ch/stereo set up.

Edited by vacdac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The A49 has HT Bypass.....which means when using it for AV duties (FR &FL), its own Vol can be bypassed and it is controlled by the AV Amp. 

2. If the AV processor/amp has Pre Outs - then connect the FR & FL Pre Outs to the HT Bypass on the A49.

3. Connect the 205/2s to the A49 and all other speakers to the AV Amp

4. Connect anything to do with playing Stereo into the A49 and anything to do with AV into the Yammy.

6. For 2 Channel, just use the A49 (AV Amp off).

7. For AV, both amps are on. The AV Amp controls the volume...and with Centre/Rears/Sub plugged directly into it. The A49 is a "slave" amp, driving FR and FL (205/2s) with whatever the AV Amp sends it.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Thanks gents!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2018 at 17:03, vacdac said:

It's a valiant try Nigel,  but far wide of the mark, due to lack of experience of this type of set up I suspect & some of the eqpmt as stated by the O.P..

Firstly the Yam is a processor not an AV receiver/Amp ( if memory serves) & only has pre-outs for the front speakers & has powered outputs for the centre & rears. The OP should therefore disregard entirely re front speaker connection advice. The only connections to the front L/R speakers, should be From the Arcam, if my suggestion below does indeed work!

From wot I've gleaned on the net re t' A49 it is possible to user configure one of the analogue inputs on the A49 as a Unity gain AV input, if this is correct, you would simply connect t' Yam processors front L/R pre-amp outs to this input & select this input when wanting 5.1 A/V sound. I have noted there is one input labelled A/V on the Arcam, it may already be pre configured as a Unity gain input, or you may have to refer to the manual & do it yerself. Arcam do make mention of this amp having flexible power amp options & have offered good AV integration in many of their amps for some time. When in A/V mode all five speakers will be controlled by the processors vol control, bypassing the Arcams vol control entirely.

Other than that Nigel is correct in saying that connecting all two channel hifi sources directly to the Arcam is optimal & connect any A/V sources directly to t' Yam processor. The Yam should be out of circuit when The AV input is not selected, so it shouldn't really matter if it is on when listening to two channel sources. Other than the obvious fact of not wasting leccy unnecessarily.  :-)

The beauty of this type of setup, is the good integration, whilst allowing you to still have a fairly purist 2ch/stereo set up.

This sounds perfect. Only one question now i have gone and bought the P7 (arcam power amp) as well, how does this fit in or has it become completely superfluous?

Mikeyn the novice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mikeyn said:

This sounds perfect. Only one question now i have gone and bought the P7 (arcam power amp) as well, how does this fit in or has it become completely superfluous?

Mikeyn the novice

I would still use the A49, as described above.....and use the P7 for driving everything else. You will have a great sounding and versatile system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I would still use the A49, as described above.....and use the P7 for driving everything else. You will have a great sounding and versatile system.

Thanks much appreciated, just can't wait for everything to arrive now so I can get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mikeyn said:

Thanks much appreciated, just can't wait for everything to arrive now so I can get started.

Mixing the A49 with the P7, will give a more seamless presentation for AV.

Let us know how it all sounds.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2018 at 16:47, CnoEvil said:

Mixing the A49 with the P7, will give a more seamless presentation for AV.

Let us know how it all sounds.

I  used to have a Arcam P7 power amplifier and Av8 they were really good and brought them when they first came out and pretty expensive at the time too and the Arcam P7 still makes good money now on Ebay after all theses years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.