Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

tuga

Computer USB +5V Power Noise

Computer USB +5V Power Noise measurements of different equipment produce interesting results:

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/05/measurements-computer-usb-5v-power.html

1 minute ago, awkwardbydesign said:

That's interesting.  I use an Innuos Zenith 2, and the best sounding USB cable I have found (in my admittedly limited comparisons) is the Digital Music Box Kalliope with it's separate linear 5V supply.

I am naturally sceptical of tweaks and generally steer clear of foo but work on the USB connection has paid off.

I am also feeding the DAC a clean 5V from an LPSU using the split USB adapter from Teradac. I am using a Cubox NUC as a renderer also powered by an LPSU and have just replaced the USB cable with a "hard" A-male to B-male adapter.

My file playback system has never sounded this good!

Am I reading this correctly, in that perhaps the idea of Hi-Fi servers isn’t so bonkers as some suggest, as they might well be optimised as regards USB output quality in a way that mass-produced laptops are not?  

44 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Am I reading this correctly, in that perhaps the idea of Hi-Fi servers isn’t so bonkers as some suggest, as they might well be optimised as regards USB output quality in a way that mass-produced laptops are not?  

I'd say yes.

That's a step too far, all it says in that different laptops (servers ) have different amounts of noise on the USB line. That doesn't mean the noise is audible at the output of the dac, conversely it doesn't mean it isn't either.

I can hear my mouse scroll through my dac, interestingly though its via the switch mode psu for my laptop, unplug that there's no noise.

If we understand one thing, it's that we don't understand a thing.

1 hour ago, sq225917 said:

That's a step too far, all it says in that different laptops (servers ) have different amounts of noise on the USB line. That doesn't mean the noise is audible at the output of the dac, conversely it doesn't mean it isn't either.

I can hear my mouse scroll through my dac, interestingly though its via the switch mode psu for my laptop, unplug that there's no noise.

If we understand one thing, it's that we don't understand a thing.

What many defend at CA is that noise carried with the digital signal affects D/A conversion.

38 minutes ago, tuga said:

What many defend at CA is that noise carried with the digital signal affects D/A conversion.

Have you got some measurements for that ?  :sofa:

1 minute ago, uzzy said:

Have you got some measurements for that ?  :sofa:

One of the measurements usually presented is the eye-pattern:

https://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4389368/Eye-Diagram-Basics-Reading-and-applying-eye-diagrams

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

But any difference would have to be measured at the DACs outputs.

Keith

9 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

So perhaps we need to get manufacturers to publish figures and eye pattern images .. I guess that problem might show up some DACS costing many thousands actually showing no better an eye pattern than a cheapy?  

Super Dealer

My avatar is an eye pattern , a measurement taken by Mathias of RME , they show the transmission of data tothe dac.

Keith

Folks would belive you completely if you mentioned that adding a plinth under your TT made a sound difference. Because vibration is something we all encounter and dont need a degree in science to understand. Talk about servers and clean power, and no one gets it absolutely :D

9 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Well, yes and no.

Yes, because it would better illustrate the overall effects of a cleaner 5V power supply to the D/A chip,  but if I'm not mistaken the eye-pattern will tell you if the signal reaching the chip is indeed cleaner/more accurate.

Have you stopped selling the Intona?

Super Wammer

The eye pattern would  have to be examined at a resolution that made visible the frequency of the noise. Those eye patterns published do not appear to do that because they focus on the integrity of the digital signal.

• Upvote 1