orangeart

What are you showing

My freind and I come every year and try and have something different each year. We've never done analogue before so this year I think we are going to go simple with an LP12, an Ncore based amp and a pair of my little Frugel-horn lites which seemed to work well last year. Not sure phono stage wise, I think probably the Niel Jadman phono cards (Naim circuit basically) on a properly regulated mother board.

The twist is I'm making some LP12 plinths at the moment and hope to have them done by the time the show comes round. I couldn't decide on the exact look I wanted so am making 3 variations of the same theme. I'll do a thread in DIY at some point.

What DIY type stuff is everyone else bringing?

Super Wammer

Hi Stefan all the various kits and equipment are listed on the exhibitors spread sheet which I think you can view but not change .

Not completely certain but this year I am taking an SBT Clone as source , Minidsp DDRC 24  unit as Active Crossover / DIRAC Live Filter / DAC , Pair of upgraded QUAD 405 MK1 Power Amplifiers , Pair of 1976 KEF 103 speakers with passive crossovers removed and using the MiniDSP as active CR .

Will have some cables that work a pair of Speaker Stands (Linn SARA) and a wood and glass Hifi Rack .

I am seriously hoping that I can nurse this little system in to being musical and a joy to listen too . Sadly the way things are going it more likely to blow up and take out half the equipment in the hotel but we will have to see .

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, orangeart said:

Probably some active speakers, and possibly a DIY TT. You never know Stefan, if your amps are up and running by then, maybe one of them to drive the speakers. :)

5 hours ago, orangeart said:

A pair of DIY actives of some description, bit fluid at the moment as to the precise description! They will be based around a DDRC-24 doing duty as crossover/Dirac processor/DAC, fed direct from a PC acting as digital source/server. Speakers could be 2-way based on a pair  of Tannoy 8" dual concentrics, or maybe something else depending on what occurs in the next couple of months. I will update the spreadsheet at some point when I have figured out what the end game looks like!

• Like 2

On 20/12/2018 at 11:01, orangeart said:

I will be bringing diy speakers and amplifier. i have been building amps and speakers for over 20 years and have got them sounding rather good now if quite heavy. 

I like Scott's frugal horn designs, he lives around the corner to me and I have heard many of the different sizes. The lites will be good to hear as I've not heard those yet.

I was planning to build a new amp but I'm not sure if I'll get it done in time....

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 16:08, bencat said:

Hi Stefan all the various kits and equipment are listed on the exhibitors spread sheet which I think you can view but not change .

Yeah, got that. It's always nice to have a more fleshed out picture though. 

It's the DIY stuff I always really like. Of course the other stuff always sounds great too, but for me I like the way with DIY you can build something that works for you and your equipment/ room/preferences etc and often without commercial restraint.

I must get round to getting Andy to put his name down. We are having a little meet up next week to watch movies in his cinema room so hopefully we can pin it down then.

Must start that plinth thread too.

Stefan

On 20/12/2018 at 16:22, greybeard said:

Probably some active speakers, and possibly a DIY TT. You never know Stefan, if your amps are up and running by then, maybe one of them to drive the speakers. :)

Well even if they aren't you can have my prototype for a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2

Thinking of exhibiting first time this year. Know about the spreadsheet to add details of the system. If you are interested, the kit is Raspberry Pi - IQ Audio DAC Pro Volumio distribution,  home built pre in Leak Varislope case, Croft Series 3 OTL pimped up by Glenn Croft himself and  QUAD 57 electrostatics and a REL Strata V sub. Worried about killing my VDH Colibri cartridge if I brought the Garrard 401/SME V/Lector phono down as well. Do you think this set up would sound good in the size of room? I have not been to the Kegworth site so I have no idea of the dimensions of the room and  likely acoustic.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 24/12/2018 at 08:25, davidpgals said:

Thinking of exhibiting first time this year. Know about the spreadsheet to add details of the system. If you are interested, the kit is Raspberry Pi - IQ Audio DAC Pro Volumio distribution,  home built pre in Leak Varislope case, Croft Series 3 OTL pimped up by Glenn Croft himself and  QUAD 57 electrostatics and a REL Strata V sub. Worried about killing my VDH Colibri cartridge if I brought the Garrard 401/SME V/Lector phono down as well. Do you think this set up would sound good in the size of room? I have not been to the Kegworth site so I have no idea of the dimensions of the room and  likely acoustic.

the exec rooms allocated to the exhibitors at Kegworth are a decent size and well insulated sound wise from other rooms, and the floors are MUCH better for TTs

having shared a tiny room at Scalford where my oppo brought hs electrostatics I can say Kegworth is a step up, obviously having some room treatment foam available is always a good idea but not sure how much 57 + REL combo would need that . . 

anyone else have an opinion?

Super Wammer

to add; my 2015 room share brought his Quad ESL63 electrostatic speakers on stands

Super Wammer

My experience with the Quad 57 speakers is limited as I only had them for about a month before they went off to be refurbished. I had  a room at Kegworth last year and most where very similiar . Given this I would suggest that it should be very possible toi get the Quads working well in most of the Executive rooms .

Main compromise will be the distance from the rear wall which i think will have to be less than would be expected for these dipoles. However I use my pair with not very much space at the rear and the problems are much less than expected. I do help this by using DIRAC Live DSP software to correct the in room issues measured from the listening position and this really does increase the usability of these speakers and helps with lots of the reported issues that they are supposed to have .

Overall I think they will work and work well in the Kegworth rooms and you can get a very good to possibly excellent sound .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Depending on room availability I'll have my usual DIY transmission line sub/bass speakers, plus my active KEF 104.2's

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MF 1000 said:

Depending on room availability I'll have my usual DIY transmission line sub/bass speakers, plus my active KEF 104.2's

I'm sure those will be worth an earfull :rockin:

I better get a move on an finish this LP-12 plinth! Where does the time go...

Aaaaarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Where does all the time go, why do I do this to myself every year??

• Haha 1