TheFlash

2019 Lottery Win Turntable Challenge

What !  You haven't got one Adam ? 

Yes, I have.

That’s why I didn’t mention it - if I win the lottery, I wouldn’t need another! :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, karlinamillion said:

See my post on page 4 ^_^

I stand corrected - how did I miss that?

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Funkpig said:

I stand corrected - how did I miss that?

You didn't miss it, you subliminally blocked it out because you thought it was too gorgeous and tempting...

No takers for this? A snip at £123k.

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "clearaudio statement turntable"

8 minutes ago, chris_bates1974 said:

bet it makes great cider :cool:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, batteredhaggis said:

Talking of big d*cks (Kiwi for posh turntable), I weathered the wettest driving in memory to meet the lucky owner of this last night - not a Kiwi turntable in any way I should add  - and have a wee listen. He is the first owner in the country. Cart is the fabulous Audio Technica AT-ART1000 and arm is a Kuzma Stogi S12 unipivot. Nice sound in a very tidy Linn-based system.

At 80kg this is heavier than most speakers and is only the middle TT in the range.

Anyone name it or the country it hails from?

J Sikora.jpg

That is a J. Sikora design from Poland, their Kevlar tonearm looks interesting as well.

www.jsikora.pl

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

The engineering is esquisite... but I'm afraid I find the whole £100k+ turntable bling thing the height of bad taste. This must surely be about the shouty looks at least as much as the no doubt faultless sound.

What a partypooper I am!

Super Wammer
32 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

The engineering is esquisite... but I'm afraid I find the whole £100k+ turntable bling thing the height of bad taste. This must surely be about the shouty looks at least as much as the no doubt faultless sound.

What a partypooper I am!

I agree, because your opening post said, amongst other things ‘...that you’d actually want...’.  I wouldn’t want a floor standing turntable, and I’d have nowhere for the amp, streamer and other bits!  

Now I would have a £123,000 house extension, thank you. A nice orangery, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

No. Just no.

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, stuartypoorty said:

That is a J. Sikora design from Poland, their Kevlar tonearm looks interesting as well.

www.jsikora.pl

Excellent spotting that man. Have an upvotey thing.

Odd how various materials (kevlar and numerous others) seem to do the rounds in hifi.

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

What a partypooper I am!

No, you were right the first time Nigel!

The lower structure puts me in mind of the exaggerated cheeks that alpha male orangutans have, and for much the same purpose. On the orang I can understand it. Can't imagine much success with the laydeez spinning this one up. Maybe better at giving the gentz some holz in their pantz. 

I'm not averse to a bit of structural expression (Nervi, Piano, Rice, Hopkins, Calatrava, even Foster) but this is simply grotesque. I don't care how it sounds.

• Haha 1

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:29, PuritéAudio said:

The systemdeck didn’t have particularly good speed stability did it, especially for such an expensive design?

Keith

I wouldn't kick it out of bed.:D

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:43, chebby said:

Turntables don’t get much prettier than the Technics SL-10 ...

68f2ab266cb50f613f7346ff259e9492.jpg

My Mother - in -law has one of these. ( At least l think so.) The one she has looks identical.:geek:

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:56, greybeard said:

A few years ago now, I was lucky enough to meet George Thomsen of Prometheus turntables in his own home in Poole, and spent a wonderful afternoon, listening to 3 of his designs, all built individually by hand. He was obsessive over his designs, and also the stands they were on. Unfortunately way out of my price league, but things of beauty to behold.

What I now find quite incredible, in the hours I was there, he only mentioned to me once, that he was ex forces and that was where he had trained as an engineer. You can Imagine my shock when a year later, I read the story of how 22 brave marines had held off the Argentinian invasion force and disabled a warship on the eve of the Falkland war, led by section commander George Thomsen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169911/Revealed-Untold-story-22-Marines-held-hundreds-Argentinians-disabled-warship-eve-Falklands-War.html

Anyway back to his wonderful Turntables. I also believe Mike Valentine, of Chasing the Dragon audiophile recordings fame, owns one. Which is quite probable, as I know they collaborated at one of the Whittlebury audio shows

durand-talea-on-prometheus-audiosmall.jpg.468c6a775dad8c49c4bd824e95b75736.jpg        

1.jpg.f9f9d684be90c6510f82e819a3c50fdc.jpg.594bd6052d25598fdcf1084cbd7779f1.jpg

turntables.jpg.71e5d7b6a826dbac1e54972531091d5c.jpg

Have heard this T/T at shows and it sounds as good as it looks.:cool:

Pleasant chap too, who clearly loves what he does.:^

Edited by Tarzan
  • Upvote 1