Jail4CEOs2

Space Optimization version 2 general thread

I finally got round to SO2’ing my 2nd system today.

My speakers aren’t listed,  so I setup them as point source to the centre of the driver, the rear bass ports were already sponge bunged due to space limitations. So, also as not to interfere in SO2.

The speakers were already in their best practical position, with the bungs in. So, I put this strait into SO2. I haven’t yet identified the best position with the Linn electronics and set them up accordingly.

SO2 has worked wonders, even in this limited form. A suitable bass cut to free up the detail. The speakers really aren’t suited to the room, so SO2 has really worked well!

After SO2, like in my main system, I needed to move the slider a bit to soften the sound to my tastes. However, less so this time.

I know others lament the loss of tweaking ability in SO2. However, as somebody without the time to ‘hobby’ this properly, I really appreciate the ease of use of SO2. Under this same criteria, SO2 really changed my main system. In SO1 I got detail or bass. SO2 let me quickly strike the balance on both systems.

9 hours ago, Rich9600 said:

The speakers were already in their best practical position, with the bungs in. So, I put this strait into SO2. I haven’t yet identified the best position with the Linn electronics and set them up accordingly.

SO2 has worked wonders, even in this limited form. A suitable bass cut to free up the detail. The speakers really aren’t suited to the room, so SO2 has really worked well!

If I read correct, the bungs are still in? I would take them out. My M140 where bunged, after SO V1/V2, no need for the bungs anyomore. I'm no expert, but something tells me it is better to use a speaker without the bungs. I think it leads to more pressure inside the cabinet making it harder for your amp to drive the drivers. 

28 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

If I read correct, the bungs are still in? I would take them out. My M140 where bunged, after SO V1/V2, no need for the bungs anyomore. I'm no expert, but something tells me it is better to use a speaker without the bungs. I think it leads to more pressure inside the cabinet making it harder for your amp to drive the drivers. 

It depends on how far from the wall they are. Mine are necessarily very close unfortunately. I originally had the bungs out, thinking SO would take of it. It was only after I tried putting them back (I can't remember why) that I dismissed that notion. Much better with them in.

Anyone heard any hints about SO2 for Exakt?  It seems to have slipped somewhat from the Q1 2019 talk that was originally bandied about.

I hope it isn't because they can't make it work....  I'm keen as I have an awkward room that would hopefully benefit, but its becoming a long wait.

Is anyone else having this problem. Tried to add my subwoofer to SO2 few times yesterday but it would take forever to complete analyzing. If I quit mid way it would say incomplete and now constantly keep saying something went wrong. So basically can’t switch SO on anymore. It only happens on the SO tab. Not on anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just switched the dsm/1 off and back on and was now able to add the subwoofer. Took it right away but when I go the SO tab still the same issue

Keeps saying “something went wrong” please reload page

10 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

Sorry, my signature is probably misleading. My Linn M140’s are not ‘bunged’. These speakers are fully analysed for SO, so all bass sources are assessed. As such, I would assume that any bass the bass from the port will have been modelled. So, yes, in most cases SO without bungs is probably best.

Though, this post was referring to my second system:

Linn Sneaky DS > Linn Silver > Linn LK85 > Chord Odyssey 2 > Mordaunt Short MS812

The MS812’s aren’t in SO. So, can only be added as a point source. SO only knows the driver position and alignment, nothing else. From this logic, I assume that the bass from the rear port would not be considered for the mathematical model...

The port bungs are sponge, this will allow much of the movement of air, and ease of driving the speaker. But, should prevent much of the bass wave propagation from the port as an un-modelled secondary bass source.

This was my logic. I’m not sure I’m right... But, it’s worked. :)

My system needed a bass cut beyond what the bungs alone gave, so I’m very happy.

On 10/07/2019 at 07:06, al2002 said:

A bizarre question to ask on a hi-fi forum. Yes, of course,  it is possible.  

A friendly suggestion, if I may.  In the future you may wish to post such questions on a DIY or home improvement forum. You will surely get better advice.

A hilarious answer to a perfectly legitimate SO question!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zee9 said:

Just switched the dsm/1 off and back on and was now able to add the subwoofer. Took it right away but when I go the SO tab still the same issue

Yes, I still have this issue; as a matter of fact, I also have an MDSM/1; I wonder if our problem is related to this model somehow ...?

Best, Heiko

Got the below email from linn helpline. I deleted the subwoofer of SOv1 and everything works as should in SOv2. You do have to creat a whole new Analysis after adding the subwoofer

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have had our engineers look into the issue that you are reporting.

Basically you have a v1 optimisation on your device currently which contains an additional subwoofer. In V1 they didn’t keep a track of the channel type of additional subs. In web app, if there is an optimisation on the device, it looks at it to see what speakers it was made with and check if the speakers are the same as the currently selected one, if so then it can show it for import. I think somewhere in this check its looking for a channel property that isn’t there.

This is something we can fix but will take a bit more investigation. For now, If you don’t care about the current optimisation you could go to Konfig and remove it

If you want to import the v1 optimisation into the web app then you will have to wait until a fix can be implemented.

I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Linn Klimax DS/1 Renew:

When v2 allowed the adding of a subwoofer I added my BK XL400 DF as Other & Other. When I compared this to my Paul inspired v1 profile I preferred the v1.

However:

I reinstated the v2 profile and adjusted the Optimisation Preference, increasing the low frequency energy going from 80% back to 60%.

v1 - This is darker with more bass energy
v2 - Brighter, but now with more balance in terms of bass input to my ear.

I will be sticking with the v2 profile for a number of weeks.

When I move back, and especially if I prefer the v2 profile, I will spend time adjusting the v1 profile and seeing if further tweeking can restore its primacy.

Nice 'problem' to have,

Interesting, I also increased the low frequency energy up to 60%,

My main system is 60% and my secondary is at 70% presently. Though, I keep tweaking between 60-70%. 2-4 clicks right.

Primary is known speakers and secondary is point source.

I have a BK XXLS400-FF presently disconnected from my main system. It is shared with my AV setup, Linn being FL and FR, and now the sub is purely LFE for AV.

I previously used the M140’s bass amp to feed the high level input when used with Linn. Now I can add it in SO2 I’ll plug it back in again and see if it works any better.

Even without my sub, my main system has a better bass balance under SO2. So, here’s to hoping it works well. :)