Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Timbo21

DAC Off Part 2: Qutest vs RME ADI-2 DAC

Super Wammer
50 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

You think you do, get two identical DACs, two USB cables and ask someone to switch between them.

Keith

Well I can't vouch for USB cables because I have not done that but I have done the blind test with digital BNC cables and it is 100% easy to pick out the different digital cables.

Super Dealer
20 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

Sigh.

Ideal target for foo.

Keith

Super Dealer
21 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Well I can't vouch for USB cables because I have not done that but I have done the blind test with digital BNC cables and it is 100% easy to pick out the different digital cables.

I am afraid I don’t believe you.

Keith

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I am afraid I don’t believe you.

Keith

Thats OK, I don't believe 90% of what you say.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Ideal target for foo.

Keith

Ah man, I was just trying to have a bit of fun.  I was only sighing because you didn’t seem to get that I was pulling your leg after defending you against execution.

You’re just a troll trying to get a rise out of people, aren’t you?

Not wasting any more time here.

:dead:

Edited by jas0_0
  • Like 1

Super Dealer

Actually I am trying to to get people to think, question and perhaps learn, but it is an uphill struggle.

Keith

59 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Actually I am trying to to get people to think, question and perhaps learn, but it is an uphill struggle.

Keith

What you forget with this is:

1. They likely heard it all before.
  2. They probably have tested blind at some point and tested various objectivist theories. E.g. all well measuring DACs sound the same when level-matched.... I found my Chord Hugo is identical to a Linn Akurate DSM's internal DAC when level matched. I found some DACs that don't sound the same level-matched but still sound subjectively different. Maybe it's the non-linear distortions Geddes found do not linearly map to subjective perception of SQ, but you treat all distortion the same thinking if it measures better, it is subjectively better, when this conclusion is contrary to science if Geddes is right (and his results were reproduced).
  3. If people have not tested such objectivist theories, you have to admit that in some cases, it's a big faff having to learn a lot when all you want to do is hit play and enjoy music using what evolution provided as your personal discriminator of quality (ears!)
  4. Even then, they may discover they have a subjective preference that is not transparent (which all your kit is meant to be) so for them, you have nothing of interest and you should be happy they are not your customers if you don't sell stuff for them as it will let you know who you should be chasing. Instead you seem to want to do some form of 'conversion' / 'cure' on them and this is where they get frustrated with you.
  5. "Uphill struggle" is your perception that people aren't sharing/agreeing to your world view. That's life. Accept it.
Edited by Metatron
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Yeah, yeah, they are always shooting the messenger.

I wonder why.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

So you believe your fellow wammers are not currently thinking, not currently questioning, and need to learn from you? Wow. Can I retract patronising and replace it with condescending (they're similar but slightly different; the latter places more focus on the actor considering themselves superior. I had to check)?

Clearly you are as entitled to your personal views as anyone else here, Keith; it's just that the language you use to express those views is inappropriate to a peer-to-peer dialogue. I would like to presume that the following conversation would not happen with a customer who was auditioning an RME ADI-2 (he said, moving subtly towards topic) - customer in italics:

• It's a great device, Keith, hugely flexible and excellent value for money. I'm really impressed
  • I'm pleased you like it. Then again I knew you would because it measures well; there really is no point in auditioning when you can see the measurements
  • The only thing I'd like to do before I place my order is to explore that flexibility by trying the various filters and EQ to see which sound I prefer
  • Why would you use the ADI-2 as an effects box to add distortion? You might like the sound but it wouldn't be hi-fi.
  • <sound of footsteps and door slamming>
  • What did I say? Oh well, he'll learn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

What! Are you the audio messiah now :D.

Many folk here have thought, questioned, learned and chosen; it just so happens that they don’t necessarily choose what you happen to be selling. At least you are learning to admit, a few posts back, that what constitutes “hifi” is a matter of opinion. You now need to think and learn that your opinion is not definitive and that other people’s views are just as valid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Camverton said:

What! Are you the audio messiah now :D

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty dealer :) 

• Haha 5

Anyway, enough of these amusing distractions. The question for me is whether I replace my 2Qute with a Qutest?

Has anyone done this and if so what was your experience? The RME might be a good choice but subjectively it would be like having a very naughty, not to say very irritating dealer in the room with me ;-)

I once asked Keith how he would go about measuring humility.

He didn't reply...

• Like 1

What I don't understand is if Keith is correct then why does he sell a variety of DACs? Surely he should be selling the cheapest one that measures well? Any spend above the cost of that DAC is wasted money and could be construed as 'ripping off' his customers. I guess some of the more expensive DACs may have more features but most of those features will be adding 'distortion' anyway.

Keith, please can you explain?

Super Dealer

March Audio Dac1 £265, just a straight up excellent measuring USB dac.

Keith