Timbo21

DAC Off Part 2: Qutest vs RME ADI-2 DAC

32 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

A DACs performance is dependent upon design and implementation , not price.

If you examine the data you will see that Amir’s measurements  and the others do correlate just the presentation differs.

Although the Schitt products measure poorly they may not be poor enough to be actually audible.

Keith

No Amir's results seem well out of line, either the unit was faulty or he was doing something wrong. If you can't hear those differences then there is hardly any point in all these tests.

21 hours ago, Timbo21 said:

Nice, It was a while before I understood the menu structure. Hopefully you can leave it running a bit before you try it out.

Hi Timbo,

Managed to make a little time to hook the RME up... I see what you mean about the menu structure and you can only imagine how tricky it is when one can't see and having to rely on my poor wife to read the display to me... think I'll be putting a call into Keith.

I have got it working and sounds impressive, but not sureif I've got it set up properly.

Mac

Just picked up a chord Qutest this evening, will leave on to Play for an hour or so before doing serious listening. This is a properly run-in unit so no worries there. Just from first few mins of listening I can tell the Qutest is more laid back compared to the 2Qute.  Will give an update later on.

Edited by Nativebon

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Nativebon said:

Just picked up a chord Qutest this evening, will leave on to Play for an hour or so before doing serious listening. This is a properly run-in unit so no worries there. Just from first few mins of listening I can tell the Qutest is more laid back compared to the 2Qute.  Will give an update later on.

Rob Watts has said several times that he has listened to new Chord DACs and compared them to his prototypes with thousands of hours in them and they sounded the same. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/12/2018 at 12:18, Music At Home said:

@Timbo21 Interesting that you're getting the best results from the RME's balanced outputs. I had a look at the specs of the DAC and see that it contains a single, stereo, AKM DAC chip. So not truly a fully balanced design. For each L/R channel it will be taking the chip's single ended output and passing it through a phase splitter before reaching the XLR outputs. Pretty similar really to most DACs offering balanced outputs, including my Linn Akurate DS (which I'm using balanced out to active ATC's).

On my Focusrite the RCA unbalanced sounded best. Do you know is the RCA's are derived directly, or after they split the phase, etc?

23 hours ago, Music At Home said:

Or,

B) @Timbo21 just buy the Topping D50 for £180, it's the best Amir has measured.

No Eq though, is there?

I was listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers last night and the bass guitar just sounded amazing. The notes and tones I got from adding the bass EQ really took it to another level. So, now, any future contender has got to provide good parametric EQ too.

15 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Rob Watts has said several times that he has listened to new Chord DACs and compared them to his prototypes with thousands of hours in them and they sounded the same. 

I must say I didn't notice any change

This is my subjective view so far of the Qutest DAC. The Qutest is a move relaxed version of the 2Qute but not at the expense of detail or dynamics. Infact you get more detail, but at the same time I feel the music looses over all immediacy with my system. This may be a Synergy thing. The mid range With the Qutest is just a little shut in compared with the 2Qute. Again this may just be a system matching problem. I find the bass on the Qutest a bit more deeper but not as tight as the  2Qute. The 2qtue seems to have more body to piano sounds but just at times can get a little peaky. This only happens on the worse of recordings.

I feel the Chord Qutest sounds just a tad too warm in my system and can sometimes rub instruments of leading edges. Strangely enough treble is just a tad smoother with Qutest but not as detail as the 2Qute. I feel in the right system the Chord Qutest may be the more enjoyable DAC.  There is also the fact I'm using a MCRU linear power supply for the 2Qute. I may well get  much better results if the same applies to the Chord Qutest, but using the basic supplied power plug. Until such a time when I'm able to try the Chord Qutest with an upgraded power supply the 2Qute is staying put for now.

My only worry rite now is the offer for 500 pounds trade-in may not last for much longer. Will do a little more listening tonite but I doubt if that will  sway me. Next on my list may be the RME AD1-2 DAC. 

@Nativebon

What filter did you prefer?

27 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

This is my subjective view so far of the Qutest DAC. The Qutest is a move relaxed version of the 2Qute but not at the expense of detail or dynamics. Infact you get more detail, but at the same time I feel the music looses over all immediacy with my system. This may be a Synergy thing. The mid range With the Qutest is just a little shut in compared with the 2Qute. Again this may just be a system matching problem. I find the bass on the Qutest a bit more deeper but not as tight as the  2Qute. The 2qtue seems to have more body to piano sounds but just at times can get a little peaky. This only happens on the worse of recordings.

I feel the Chord Qutest sounds just a tad too warm in my system and can sometimes rub instruments of leading edges. Strangely enough treble is just a tad smoother with Qutest but not as detail as the 2Qute. I feel in the right system the Chord Qutest may be the more enjoyable DAC.  There is also the fact I'm using a MCRU linear power supply for the 2Qute. I may well get  much better results if the same applies to the Chord Qutest, but using the basic supplied power plug. Until such a time when I'm able to try the Chord Qutest with an upgraded power supply the 2Qute is staying put for now.

My only worry rite now is the offer for 500 pounds trade-in may not last for much longer. Will do a little more listening tonite but I doubt if that will  sway me. Next on my list may be the RME AD1-2 DAC. 

Which input are you using on the Qutest?

6 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Which input are you using on the Qutest?

Coax 1 input which I think is yellow and also using Incisive Neutral Filter which is white

Edited by Nativebon
info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nativebon said:

Coax 1 input which I think is yellow and also using Incisive Neutral Filter which is white

I asked cause Im using usb from my Aries mini and the supplied usb cable sounds unpleasant to me. It sounds edgy, too bright and thin. Luckily I have a spare old but well made Chord silverplus usb and the music came back to life. I don’t even care much about others saying all usb sounds the same. I can’t exlpain why but I trust my ears. Thanks Nativebon.

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

I asked cause Im using usb from my Aries mini and the supplied usb cable sounds unpleasant to me. It sounds edgy, too bright and thin. Luckily I have a spare old but well made Chord silverplus usb and the music came back to life. I don’t even care much about others saying all usb sounds the same. I can’t exlpain why but I trust my ears. Thanks Nativebon.

Your most Welcome... :DThat's the name of the game. It may just be I try another cable with the Qutest actually see if I get better results. 

2 hours ago, Timbo21 said:

@Nativebon

What filter did you prefer?

Currently using Incisive Neutral, but will try the other filters now. Something else I noticed, the 3V RMS on the Chord Qutest does not sound as Loud as the 3V RMS on the 2Qute. This may explain the more upfront sound of the 2Qute.

Edited by Nativebon

5 hours ago, Timbo21 said:

On my Focusrite the RCA unbalanced sounded best. Do you know is the RCA's are derived directly, or after they split the phase, etc?

No, sorry, I don't know.