Timbo21

DAC Off Part 2: Qutest vs RME ADI-2 DAC

42 minutes ago, whitehart said:

I received an RME DAC today courtesy of Keith... won't be able to try it for a couple of days, but had a little look at it, looks a nice compact well made piece of kit, just the size I'm after, just have to wait and see how it sounds.

Mac

Nice, It was a while before I understood the menu structure. Hopefully you can leave it running a bit before you try it out.

@Timbo21 Interesting that you're getting the best results from the RME's balanced outputs. I had a look at the specs of the DAC and see that it contains a single, stereo, AKM DAC chip. So not truly a fully balanced design. For each L/R channel it will be taking the chip's single ended output and passing it through a phase splitter before reaching the XLR outputs. Pretty similar really to most DACs offering balanced outputs, including my Linn Akurate DS (which I'm using balanced out to active ATC's).

I've been really impressed this year with the DACs from Schiit Audio. I'm using a Bifrost Multibit DAC in my headphone setup but considering its relatively modest cost, it compares very well to my Katalyst DS. So much so, I'll more than likely pick up one of their Gungnir DACs some point soon as I suspect it will be right up there withe the Linn DS, which will make for an interesting comparison.

Reason I mention this, the Gungnir is a true balanced design. In Delta-Sigma form it contains two AKM 4399 stereo DAC chips, each running in dual differential mode, therefore hardware balanced from source. £700 for the Delta-Sigma version, £1,100 for the Multibit R2R version (4 x mono Analog Devices DAC chips), just as an idea in case you were still looking around for something else to try.

Edited by Music At Home

Super Dealer

Amir’s master list of measured DACs, the RMe is there and Various  Schitts,, not sure whether the Gungnir has been measured though.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

Amir’s master list of measured DACs, the RMe is there and Various  Schitts,, not sure whether the Gungnir has been measured though.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Keith

I don't think the Schiit's did very well in those tests, Topping seems to be the one to beat in the budget range.

A) Audio Science Review is a bit of a controversial site with an agenda against Schiit in favour of Topping.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/modi-2u-and-d30-dac-deconstructing-amirs-hack-job-part-ii.6449/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/yggdrasil-a2-measurements-deconstructing-asr-amirs-hack-job.6442/

Or,

B) @Timbo21 just buy the Topping D50 for £180, it's the best Amir has measured.

Super Dealer

There could be a conspiracy or maybe Schitt are just shit.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

There could be a conspiracy or maybe Schitt are just shit.

Keith

Or that they sound great, but measure on the standardised 'known' measurement scales not as good as others. But thats not to say they can sound exceptionally better than those that measure well on those scales. Because, systems built on measurements alone can sound horrendous, and I like things that sound good. Cause you know, thats what music is.

23089799-boom-in-pop-art.jpg

Edited by The Chronicals

Super Dealer

We can only hope that one day Science will discover those mysterious, unknown metrics, until then the noun will remain an adjective.

Keith

• Like 1

But the whole point of measurements is that they are objective and I can reproduce the measurements you get, here. So if one guy gets measurements that are not repeated by other people doing the same measurements then his measurements have to be discounted and his observations questioned. Never mind he has Amirbits. 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Actually if you compare Amir’s and superbestaudiofriends the measurements  are pretty similar, their presentation is different.

Amir uses the very same method for every other dac, most measure pretty well , as always design and implementation trump everything else including price.

Keith

31 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

We can only hope that one day Science will discover those mysterious, unknown metrics.

Keith

Indeed! Then you'll be like, oh shizzle, what a pleb I've been. 

Love you Ketihy!

2270252_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Music At Home said:

A) Audio Science Review is a bit of a controversial site with an agenda against Schiit in favour of Topping.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/modi-2u-and-d30-dac-deconstructing-amirs-hack-job-part-ii.6449/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/yggdrasil-a2-measurements-deconstructing-asr-amirs-hack-job.6442/

Or,

B) @Timbo21 just buy the Topping D50 for £180, it's the best Amir has measured.

Yes he is controversial, his testing does seem a bit flakey, I'm not convinced by his results. He does not use the same methods for all his tests, he has changed, if you read his reviews you will see that. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Actually if you compare Amir’s and superbestaudiofriends the measurements  are pretty similar, their presentation is different.

Amir uses the very same method for every other dac, most measure pretty well , as always design and implementation trump everything else including price.

Keith

Sorry Keith they are quite different as remarked on by the measurer. Measurements are objective and not subject to design and implementation. They could affect the result but the measurement should be absolute. His are not and do not agree with others, including JA.

• Like 1

Super Dealer

A DACs performance is dependent upon design and implementation , not price.

If you examine the data you will see that Amir’s measurements  and the others do correlate just the presentation differs.

Although the Schitt products measure poorly they may not be poor enough to be actually audible.

Keith