HIGHWAY61

COMPILING A LINN SYSTEM FROM E-BAY

34 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Interesting. And do you think it make any difference to the sound?

I think it will be obvious when the voice coil touches any of the magnetic parts. But that will take some time. Before that the sagging might cause an in-homogeneous field for the voice coil to operate in resulting in distortion. That will however be a creeping deterioration, so maybe hard to notice if you listen to the speakers all the time.

Well, I have just joined the Linn owners club by buying this system from eBay

I know that I could probably have bought the bits separately for similar money, so it wasn't a drop dead bargain, but it is a one owner since new system which looks well looked after.

Although I have been into Hi Fi most of my adult life this is my first foray into Linn, so I suspect I will have lots of questions.  I hope this forum is the right place to come!

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, Cedd said:

I know that I could probably have bought the bits separately for similar money, so it wasn't a drop dead bargain, but it is a one owner since new system which looks well looked after.

Although I have been into Hi Fi most of my adult life this is my first foray into Linn, so I suspect I will have lots of questions.  I hope this forum is the right place to come!

Congrats, looks like a nicely balanced system

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cedd said:

Very nice. Similar to the system I've had for 25 years. Enjoy!

Are you going to be adding a streamer to play music?

Edited by SnapperMike

Well, the system is all up and running and I am very pleased so far.

Actually I have a confession to make.  I also bought a matching silver LK85 (from the Cash Convertors website) which arrived today and is in excellent condition.  I have therefore bi-amped the speakers and it sounds very good.

In terms of streamers I also have a Sonos attached, which sounds good.  However, a Linn streamer will be my next upgrade, followed by some Activ cards for the amps.  After that, who knows...

Concerning turning the driver upside down, perhaps what is really happening is that the driver mounting bolts are being tightened to spec after having slowly come loose over time. I've found that tightening the bolts if they are a bit loose does make an audible difference.