Hi Tendaberry

The LP12 was set by an official Linn Dealer.

A couple of days ago, I checked the cartridge alignment and it was ok.

The cartridge is now 0.3 Nm and the arm 1.6 Nm (both were overtightened). VTA is also ok.

After having balanced the arm, the tracking weight was set to 1.7, while the anti-skating to 1.75 by ear.

I cleaned the pulley, the belt and the sub-plate with a dry cloth. The belt was hugely dirt.

I then try the belt in the 4 possibile combinations, preferring the rough side out (as above indacated by ThomasOK), but in the opposite way then before.

Same for the mat, I found the right orientation by ear.

After all, the problem seems to have mitiguated.

BTW, I ordered a new felt mat and a new belt. The former is clearly worn, and probably also the latter.

M.

1 minute ago, Matteo said:

Hi Tendaberry

The cartridge is now 0.3 Nm and the arm 1.6 Nm (both were overtightened). VTA is also ok.

After having balanced the arm, the tracking weight was set to 1.7, while the anti-skating to 1.75 by ear.

I cleaned the pulley, the belt and the sub-plate with a dry cloth. The belt was hugely dirt.

I then try the belt in the 4 possibile combinations, preferring the rough side out (as above indacated by ThomasOK), but in the opposite way then before.

BTW, I ordered a new felt mat and a new belt. The former is clearly worn, and probably also the latter.

M.

I'm glad that it's worked out for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matteo said:

Hi Tendaberry

M.

Over-tightening would indeed give a harder and more compressed sound.  The settings you have for tracking and anti-skating fall right in line with what I've found.  The torques are close but still a little high.  On the SR Torque CAL 36/4 driver I find the Adikt best at .2Nm +4 notches and the Akito 2 and 3 at 1.6Nm - 3 notches.  I have found one notch, which corresponds to between .01 and .02Nm to be musically worthwhile.  Most other torque drivers don't allow as fine or as repeatable adjustment.  With something like a Wera torque driver .3 and 1.6Nm might be as close as you can get, although you might try .25 or .275 on the Adikt if the driver allows it.  

I'd give the new belt a close listen when you get it after you run it for about 100 hours.  I prefer the older belt unless it is worn out.  The newer felt mats, which seem to have remained the same for a number of years but are thinner than ones from more than a decade or so ago, are definitely more musical than the older ones.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

An Adikt shouldn't sound harsh or be sibilant, even with an Akito 2. Must be something in the setup, but do check the mat and belt. What torque values are you using for the cartridge and arm? Have you set the LP12 up yourself?

It's  difficult because there are so many potential set up problems which, together or in isolation,  can cause these issues.

A dozen ideas as to the culprit could be suggested ... any or none of which may be the answer.  [ An over tightened and thus poorly fitting  top plate can cause a harsh sibilant sound for example]

A fettle for the whole deck by somebody who really knows what they're doing is the only sure-fire solution.

• Like 1