Hi

After 4 years and about 1,800 hours, I think that my Adikt is close to the end.

The sound became harsh and with a lot of sibilances, my modest Cambridge CXN is now a lot better than the LP12 to listen to.

Is the cartridge worn-out?

M.

12 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Hi

After 4 years and about 1,800 hours, I think that my Adikt is close to the end.

The sound became harsh and with a lot of sibilances, my modest Cambridge CXN is now a lot better than the LP12 to listen to.

Is the cartridge worn-out?

M.

Bloody hell after that long if the sound changes get a new cartridge/retip just in case. Think of the damage you could be doing to your records.

• Like 2

Being an MM cartridge, you can just replace the stylus - Linn's list price is £220. My guess is that this will bring the cartridge back to as new condition. But J Macquarrie is right about the damage you could be doing. I'd stop using the LP12 until you can get the new stylus.

David

• Upvote 1

It's a bloody Goldring 1012GX in drag ffs :D I have to admit it doesn't sound quite as 'acidic' as I remember the Goldring could be when used away from a Rega tonearm, but still.....

The OP has used the thing for ages and enjoyed it, so a new stylus is obviously the main thing to obtain. 1800 hours is a VERY long life for a stylus and it appears the fancier the diamond profile, the shorter the life - it's rumoured a Paratrace style has a life of several hundred hours tops before it seriously goes off...

I could recommend one of the AT 500 cartridges if a change is required (530 or 540), but this isn't in the spirit of a Linn orientated page in the Linn owners club here, but the 540 and upwards may well make for an interesting alternative depending on the deck and it's age and state of tune. Just fork out for a new stylus and enjoy it all over again i think...

Change the stylus quickly! Think of your records !! 

The latest Stylus/2 is a nice improvement over the original as well - quite tuneful

• Upvote 1

More than once my dealer regarded my stylus under the shop microscope before asking If I was a carpenter as I had brought in a chisel (no I just grow the stuff).  In this context sibilance = worn out stylus!  Failing to clean the stylus will greatly reduce it's life (an early lesson), but 1800 hours sounds as if it's had a good innings.

I read an interview with Ivor from the 1970's (I think) where he said of the Asak that it would have been possible to improve performance but at the cost of reduced life which they didn't do as they reckoned a 2 year life was the least they could expect their customers to accept.

After some months and 2 stylus replacements, the sibilants and the harsh sound from the LP12 persist ...

🤦🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Matteo said:

After some months and 2 stylus replacements, the sibilants and the harsh sound from the LP12 persist ...

🤦🏻‍♂️

That is odd. Mine does not when placed in Ittok LVII on LP12 Majik sub and recapped Lingo 1. This is through AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox, 2xA4200 + M6100 (on the bass) and Akubarik. My main deck is Kandid on Ekos SE/1. 

Sounds like there is something wrong somewhere.

Yes

Mat, belt, Akito II ... a lot of possibilities ...

The problem is surely in the LP12

I did some test changing speakers, amplification, all cables, rack, power strip ...

M.

First I will try to reinstall the Adikt with the alignment protractor and with 6 360° turns for the screws (as per Linn manual).

Then I will order a new felt mat and a new belt. Which is the right side (and direction) for both?

Thanks

M.

39 minutes ago, Matteo said:

First I will try to reinstall the Adikt with the alignment protractor and with 6 360° turns for the screws (as per Linn manual).

Then I will order a new felt mat and a new belt. Which is the right side (and direction) for both?

Thanks

M.

If you look at the mat you will see that one side is smooth and the other noticeably rougher. The smooth side goes to the platter with the rougher side pointing upwards.

Hang the belt over the middle finger of one hand and lift the bottom of the belt with a finger from the other hand and let it go. Turn the belt inside out and repeat the exercise. You will notice that the belt is more floppy in one of the scenarios. This will be the right side out. Fit the belt to the turntable and play some music. Remove the belt from the turntable and turn it upside down. One of these scenarios will sound better. This will be the right side up.

Make sure that the arm is precisely parallel to the record after aligning the cartridge, balancing the arm, and setting the tracking weight and bias.

• Upvote 2

The belt should have the smooth side in and the rough side out.  On the newer belts the difference is obvious as the rough side is quite rough.  Then try the top and bottom as ACS mentioned.  Sometimes the mats are hard to tell by looking in which case just listen to both sides for which is the most tuneful.

• Like 1

Funny how "sexing" the belt and mat has remained something of a black  art down the years...with the various descriptions of how  to spot the right side still leaving folks unsure before they check with listening...and are then still no wiser because they don't trust their own ears.:D

• Upvote 2

An Adikt shouldn't sound harsh or be sibilant, even with an Akito 2. Must be something in the setup, but do check the mat and belt. What torque values are you using for the cartridge and arm? Have you set the LP12 up yourself?