Sign in to follow this  
Tune

Desert Island Discs.

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, savvypaul said:

In no particular order:

Crass - Stations Of The Crass
Dvorak - Piano Quintet in A Major
David Cassidy - Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes
Stiff Little Fingers - Go For It
Half Man Half Biscuit - The Four Lads That Shook The Wirral
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Get Happy
Angelic Upstarts - 2,000,000 Voices
The Damned - Black Album
Dolly Parton - All I can Do
Throbbing Gristle - D.OA. The Third And Final Report

 

Very surprised to see David Cassidy's name appear on this thread but that's what it's all about! I do like some of his songs and some by The Partridge Family  though.

Reminded me of how much I like the album 'The Sound Of Bread' and whether it should be in my Desert Island Discs. Their track 'Look What You've Done' still brings a tear to my eye, the band were a favourite of an early girlfriend that I finished with. It was a very hard breakup as although I realised she wasn't the one for me, I thought the world of her in many ways. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tune said:

Not at all. It's, as Gizza says, very personal and there is no right or wrong.

I love it as it spreads a gentle message of so much that is wrong with society that still stands today almost half a century ago. It's not got a word of hatred or anger in it - emotions that we often associate today with "protest". It's about disappointment with humanity.

You want real protest albums, as well as intensely introspective albums, listen to GSH.

Nicely put, i’ll go back to it with fresh ears. 

I have been racking my brain and I am sure it is going to be obvious but ‘ GSH’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
8 hours ago, lostwin said:

Nicely put, i’ll go back to it with fresh ears. 

I have been racking my brain and I am sure it is going to be obvious but ‘ GSH’?

It wasn't obvious to me, either but I've just looked back at 'Tune' 's list...Gill Scott Heron

Edited by Gizza
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2018 at 18:39, Colinjg said:

Talking Book thu to Songs in the KOL are amazing imho. I was a bit late getting into SW as he was Motown, but bloody hell.

My ‘challenge ‘ with Stevie Wonder dates back to Sunday lunch as a teenager with my family. Every week we had the local radio music request show on as background listening and every week, without fail, someone would  ask for ‘I just called to say I love you’ thinking that they were clever what with it being a phone in show and all. 

God I hate that song. That is a mental scar Stevie gave me that will need several albums of brilliance for me to forgive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lostwin said:

My ‘challenge ‘ with Stevie Wonder dates back to Sunday lunch as a teenager with my family. Every week we had the local radio music request show on as background listening and every week, without fail, someone would  ask for ‘I just called to say I love you’ thinking that they were clever what with it being a phone in show and all. 

God I hate that song. That is a mental scar Stevie gave me that will need several albums of brilliance for me to forgive!

I hate that song too.  However, the albums I quoted I would not be without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I hate that song too.  However, the albums I quoted I would not be without.

I’m going to trust you but if it goes wrong the psychiatrist bill is going to be horrific 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lostwin said:

I’m going to trust you but if it goes wrong the psychiatrist bill is going to be horrific 😬

If it goes wrong, suggest a hearing test as well.:flowers:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, lostwin said:

My ‘challenge ‘ with Stevie Wonder dates back to Sunday lunch as a teenager with my family. Every week we had the local radio music request show on as background listening and every week, without fail, someone would  ask for ‘I just called to say I love you’ thinking that they were clever what with it being a phone in show and all. 

God I hate that song. That is a mental scar Stevie gave me that will need several albums of brilliance for me to forgive!

Yes, some of his later songs were played to death, unfortunately. I don't enjoy that song nor 'Happy Birthday'. A great shame to miss out on the many wonderful songs that he's recorded based on this, though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Yes, some of his later songs were played to death, unfortunately. I don't enjoy that song nor 'Happy Birthday'. A great shame to miss out on the many wonderful songs that he's recorded based on this, though. 

He's a great artist - albums already mentioned are wonderful it's a shame although popular for some big selling pop a lot of his finest stuff just gets forgotten

I have quite a few on vinyl and I believe he played most of the instruments on them - anyway here's an old film just to show he wasn't just Pap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
6 hours ago, enrae8 said:

He's a great artist - albums already mentioned are wonderful it's a shame although popular for some big selling pop a lot of his finest stuff just gets forgotten

I have quite a few on vinyl and I believe he played most of the instruments on them - anyway here's an old film just to show he wasn't just Pap

Yes, he's an amazing musician. As you say  he can play many different instruments well. This would be a great accomplishment for a sighted person, let alone a blind person. I saw him live, in the 90's at the Birmingham NEC and it was a fantastic concert. He played for four hours, which I thought was definitely going the extra mile. Only one other artist that I've seen did that long and that was Led Zeppelin at Earls Court. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2018 at 22:08, Tune said:

Not at all. It's, as Gizza says, very personal and there is no right or wrong.

I love it as it spreads a gentle message of so much that is wrong with society that still stands today almost half a century ago. It's not got a word of hatred or anger in it - emotions that we often associate today with "protest". It's about disappointment with humanity.

You want real protest albums, as well as intensely introspective albums, listen to GSH.

Listening to Marvin Gaye right now - with the help of your insightful perspective this is really starting to make some sense 👍🏻

Loving ‘Right On’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with the OP on a couple:-

1. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

2. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder

3. Winter In America - Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson

4. Extension Of A Man - Donny Hathaway

5. Still Bill -  Bill Withers

6. Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes

7. Heart Of The Congos - The Congos

8. Expensive Shit - Fela Kuti and Africa 70

9. Super Fly - Curtis Mayfield

10. A Night In Tunisia - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 09/12/2018 at 22:08, Tune said:

Not at all. It's, as Gizza says, very personal and there is no right or wrong.

I love it as it spreads a gentle message of so much that is wrong with society that still stands today almost half a century ago. It's not got a word of hatred or anger in it - emotions that we often associate today with "protest". It's about disappointment with humanity.

You want real protest albums, as well as intensely introspective albums, listen to GSH.

I must listen to Marvin's album again at some point, as I often don't pick up on lyrics and sounds as though I missed out in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.