Sign in to follow this  
Tune

Desert Island Discs.

OK. Simple enough question and easy to edit your post and add to.

Ten albums that you would take with you to a desert island for life.

I'll start off.

1. Kaya - Bob Marley & the Wailers. Simply uplifting and yet contemplative at the same time.

2. Untitled - Led Zeppelin. For me, the greatest rock album of all times.

3. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye. Of its time. Of our time. Ahead of time. Timeless.

4. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder. Something for every emotional twist.

5. Ella & Louis - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Bet you didn't see that one coming. Perfect for a Sunday morning.

6. Second Toughest In The Infants - Underworld. For the evening before after sundown.

7. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers. Always brings a smile to my day.

8. Dusty In Memphis - Dusty Springfield. White Soul. Perfected.

9. One Night Stand - Sam Cooke. 1963. Mr Soul!

10. Pieces Of A Man - Gil Scott Heron. The man could have filled a lot of this for me. A genius who lived a life.

So this might change as I don't even have any Beatles in there but remember, you only have the ten and that what makes it a toughie for me!

Impossible...

I’ll edit my post over time... 

1) Red hot chilli peppers: californication. That’s deffo in there. 

2) Greenday. Dookie. 

3) London Grammar. If you wait. 

4) 2pac. Greatest hits album. That’s double disc so technically cheating but I’ll go with it. 

5) Nirvana. Nevermind. 

6) Chase & Status. Brand new machine. Need something dancy but might switch this out. Mmm possibly Prodigy Experience instead.

7) Kings of Leon. Only by the night.

Getting there. Will re edit until complete. This is bloody hard!!!

Edited by Amormusic
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

Okay, I'll have a go, Michael... 

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Deep Purple - Made In Japan 

Deep Purple - In Rock

Rory Gallagher - Blueprint

Harry Connick Jr. - When Harry Met Sally (Soundtrack) 

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying

Frankie Laine - Take Me Back To Laine Country

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Rodgers and Hammerstein - The Original Film Soundtracks

A cd or cd collection of albums of songs from Puccini operas and Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana, preferably performed by Luciano Pavarotti. 

Edited by Gizza
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I'll have a go in stages - The formative years

In the early sixties I lived with 2 Aunts and an Uncle in their large house in Darlington - they had a record player and some records, it was my introduction to music, it was eclectic and it hasn't left me

The Mikado

South Pacific

Max Jaffa

Rudolf Kempe Wagner (Wonderful to this day !!)

The Beatles - Please Please + Hard days night

Tchaikovsky (Swan Lake)

Beethoven ( No 7)

These are the ones that stuck in my mind

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, enrae8 said:

I'll have a go in stages - The formative years

In the early sixties I lived with 2 Aunts and an Uncle in their large house in Darlington - they had a record player and some records, it was my introduction to music, it was eclectic and it hasn't left me

The Mikado

South Pacific

Max Jaffa

Rudolf Kempe Wagner (Wonderful to this day !!)

The Beatles - Please Please + Hard days night

Tchaikovsky (Swan Lake)

Beethoven ( No 7)

These are the ones that stuck in my mind

Isn't it just wonderful how music can invoke memories of times gone by and emotions? Frankie Laine brings back happy memories of my father and Rodgers and Hammerstein, my mother. Powerful stuff, music. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gizza said:

Isn't it just wonderful how music can invoke memories of times gone by and emotions?

I think, in a way that was my thought. Music can take you to places. You are stuck alone on a desert island for life but music can invoke so much.

Just a few chords can put you back in a room that you haven't set foot in in 40 years and you can witness the scene around you. Some of us can't remember how to get to the bank or who we saw two days ago.

So the ten albums will be intensely personal - or should be - to everyone.

PS. Made in Japan so nearly made my list!  Probably brought back memories I should forget though :) 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Tune said:

I think, in a way that was my thought. Music can take you to places. You are stuck alone on a desert island for life but music can invoke so much.

Just a few chords can put you back in a room that you haven't set foot in in 40 years and you can witness the scene around you. Some of us can't remember how to get to the bank or who we saw two days ago.

So the ten albums will be intensely personal - or should be - to everyone.

PS. Made in Japan so nearly made my list!  Probably brought back memories I should forget though :) 

Funnily enough, some of the albums on my list didn't appear in my recently submitted 'Top 20' list. When you're forced to choose a desert island top 10, it's just as you say, you really have to think about which ones are REALLY personal to you. 

This is surprisingly difficult, after a fairly long break due to house moves and kids I have only had my hi fi set up and working again for the last 18 months. I have been working through my old record collection and some have stood the test of time, some have disappointed whilst others have resonated on a way they haven’t previously. I have been  adding some new records as well so my list is a mix of recent additions and proven favourites.

1. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

2. Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis

3. Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription 

4. American Music Club - California 

5. Uncle Tupelo - 16-20 March 1992

6. Rachel’s - Music for Egon Schlele

7. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme 

8. L T J Bukem - Logical Progression

9. Neil Young - On the Beach

10. John Martin - Solid Air

Those and a decent stash of red wine would keep me happy.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tune said:

OK. Simple enough question and easy to edit your post and add to.

Ten albums that you would take with you to a desert island for life.

I'll start off.

1. Kaya - Bob Marley & the Wailers. Simply uplifting and yet contemplative at the same time.

2. Untitled - Led Zeppelin. For me, the greatest rock album of all times.

3. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye. Of its time. Of our time. Ahead of time. Timeless.

4. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder. Something for every emotional twist.

5. Ella & Louis - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Bet you didn't see that one coming. Perfect for a Sunday morning.

6. Second Toughest In The Infants - Underworld. For the evening before after sundown.

7. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers. Always brings a smile to my day.

8. Dusty In Memphis - Dusty Springfield. White Soul. Perfected.

9. One Night Stand - Sam Cooke. 1963. Mr Soul!

10. Pieces Of A Man - Gil Scott Heron. The man could have filled a lot of this for me. A genius who lived a life.

So this might change as I don't even have any Beatles in there but remember, you only have the ten and that what makes it a toughie for me!

A really interesting list, I only own 3 of these but Steve Wonder and Gil Scott Heron are artists in particular I want to explore further.

i did recently buy the Marvin Gaye album, I knew it had a great reputation but I was quite disappointed. As a reputed protest album it all seemed a bit drippy - looks like I need to put some more time in on this one.

13 minutes ago, lostwin said:

A really interesting list, I only own 3 of these but Steve Wonder and Gil Scott Heron are artists in particular I want to explore further.

i did recently buy the Marvin Gaye album, I knew it had a great reputation but I was quite disappointed. As a reputed protest album it all seemed a bit drippy - looks like I need to put some more time in on this one.

Talking Book thu to Songs in the KOL are amazing imho. I was a bit late getting into SW as he was Motown, but bloody hell.

2 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Talking Book thu to Songs in the KOL are amazing imho. I was a bit late getting into SW as he was Motown, but bloody hell.

Great thanks. I have Innervisions which I think is in this run of records - as a charity shop find it will be one of the first into the ultrasonic record cleaner this forum inspired me to build.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
55 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Richard, if exploring Stevie Wonder, I too strongly recommend 'Fulfillingness' First Finale', 'Innervisions' and 'Talking Book'. All of them are masterpieces, which makes me now wonder why none of them, nor 'Songs in the Key Of Life' are in my top 20 list! We have so much great music at our disposal. 

Edited by Gizza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Not at all. It's, as Gizza says, very personal and there is no right or wrong.

I love it as it spreads a gentle message of so much that is wrong with society that still stands today almost half a century ago. It's not got a word of hatred or anger in it - emotions that we often associate today with "protest". It's about disappointment with humanity.

You want real protest albums, as well as intensely introspective albums, listen to GSH.

Edited by Tune
  • Upvote 1

In no particular order:

Crass - Stations Of The Crass
Dvorak - Piano Quintet in A Major
David Cassidy - Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes
Stiff Little Fingers - Go For It
Half Man Half Biscuit - The Four Lads That Shook The Wirral
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Get Happy
Angelic Upstarts - 2,000,000 Voices
The Damned - Black Album
Dolly Parton - All I can Do