Trouble and strife

Newbies at Kegworth 2019

16 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Pork pies as cable lifters...? Genius!

Only if you’re wearing a Pork pie hat, with a Fish Platter on the Turntable, while playing Charles Mingus Pork Pie Hat.B|

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

Only if you’re wearing a Pork pie hat, with a Fish Platter on the Turntable, while playing Charles Mingus Pork Pie Hat.B|

Natch

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

Pork pies as cable lifters...? Genius!

Remember this thread ? :D

• Haha 2

Still struggling to work out how I can select the music on my LMS configured RPi at the hotel using the Squeezer app on my phone. Have been playing around with the hotspot facility on my phone but I can't find any way to control the LMS via my phone while using it as a hot spot. however I.have found a way of changing the Squeeezelite settings with my hotspot, which should be enough to get it to the hotel wifi.

Please can someone confirm that the hotel has a network we can use and the rooms have either wired or wifi access to it?

If not I can't find another way to run my system using only the equipment I have (ie no routers, extenders etc) unless anyone has got any ideas?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

The hotel has wifi, but it will only let your phone connect out to the internet.

If you want to use wifi to control stuff in your room you'll need to bring your own router with wifi capability.  Even then, with the amount of wifi going on in the building, it might not be the most reliable thing to do.  Do you have another control method?  Perhaps a cheap wired only router and a laptop?  I always run my streamer this way - it also gives the opportunity to attach a screen to the laptop with "now playing" information for visitors to see.

Super Wammer

we used a Tenda N300 Wifi Extender last year, need to test it with my new ZENmini 

one of the wammers helped out with network issues, trying to remember who . . hmm

@greybeard was it you sir?

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, Maverick said:

we used a Tenda N300 Wifi Extender last year, need to test it with my new ZENmini 

one of the wammers helped out with network issues, trying to remember who . . hmm

I think it was Dave @Slavemaster who has sadly pulled out . I think he will be much missed , are there any other Tech/Network savvy exhibitors who can offer assistance ?

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

Still struggling to work out how I can select the music on my LMS configured RPi at the hotel using the Squeezer app on my phone. Have been playing around with the hotspot facility on my phone but I can't find any way to control the LMS via my phone while using it as a hot spot. however I.have found a way of changing the Squeeezelite settings with my hotspot, which should be enough to get it to the hotel wifi.

Please can someone confirm that the hotel has a network we can use and the rooms have either wired or wifi access to it?

If not I can't find another way to run my system using only the equipment I have (ie no routers, extenders etc) unless anyone has got any ideas?

Lawrence I use the Squeezer App at home with no issues . As long as the Phone is on the same Network (if Wifi on the phone , Wifi or Wired on the LMS) then it automatically finds the Server on 9090 and connects. it is hten just a matter of choosing the correct player and you get the options for what you want to play as a list as you would on the LMS screen .

Lawrence I use the Squeezer App at home with no issues . As long as the Phone is on the same Network (if Wifi on the phone , Wifi or Wired on the LMS) then it automatically finds the Server on 9090 and connects. it is hten just a matter of choosing the correct player and you get the options for what you want to play as a list as you would on the LMS screen .

I use it at home with no trouble as well. The problem I'm having is I need to know if I get wifi or wired access in my room, nobody has confirmed this. Otherwise the only solution I can think of is to control the pi using the wifi hotspot on my phone. Unfortunately to use that you have to switch wifi off. Then Squeezer gives me an error message saying I have to switch wifi on the phone to use it (which switches off the hotspot).

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I use it at home with no trouble as well. The problem I'm having is I need to know if I get wifi or wired access in my room, nobody has confirmed this. Otherwise the only solution I can think of is to control the pi using the wifi hotspot on my phone. Unfortunately to use that you have to switch wifi off. Then Squeezer gives me an error message saying I have to switch wifi on the phone to use it (which switches off the hotspot).

I do not remember any wired ports in rooms, you could call the hotel and ask?

defo was wifi though

I don't need wired as long as the wifi reaches the rooms, if people need extenders then it sounds like it may not, in which case my system won't work. I'd then be looking at a room only and not exhibiting. As I've got a bad back I can't lug a big heavy suitcase up on the off chance it will work. If we can work out a means by which those who need wifi are guaranteed a room within range of hotel wifi then that would work. Maybe someone who lives near the hotel could pop over and check it out unless we already know where the wifi works from last year's show.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Lawrence001 said:

I don't need wired as long as the wifi reaches the rooms, if people need extenders then it sounds like it may not, in which case my system won't work. I'd then be looking at a room only and not exhibiting. As I've got a bad back I can't lug a big heavy suitcase up on the off chance it will work. If we can work out a means by which those who need wifi are guaranteed a room within range of hotel wifi then that would work. Maybe someone who lives near the hotel could pop over and check it out unless we already know where the wifi works from last year's show.

Okay the simple answers . Yes the Hotel does have Wifi and yes it does reach all the rooms . However this is a service provided by a Hotel for guests and they would normally look to only half a dozen people being on line at the same time.  If you have a quick view through the exhibitors that are there it is likely to be quite a large number accessing the WiFi and using it to stream almost inevitably this will slow or overload the WiFi service.

Last year I used an SBT and Raspberry Pi loaded as the server with a USB HD attached . What many did in order to reduce the demand on the WiFI is use extender which was then plugged in to a Wireless Router in your room which creates a small local network in the room . I then wire connected the SBT and Rasberry Pi to the Router and was able to get everything to work . I will not lie it was a bit fragile but in general it worked all Sunday .

So you can take a chance that the WiFI will be okay and cope or in my view take along (if you do not have one ask and others might have a spare) Wireless Router and extender and use that . Your phone can then connect to the local WiFI you have created in the room and you will be able to control the LMS as normal .

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

No I am a frayed knot :)

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, greybeard said:

No I am a frayed knot :)

Andrew says it was Dave / Slavemaster, unfortunately not with us this year

• Sad 1

Super Wammer
42 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Andrew says it was Dave / Slavemaster, unfortunately not with us this year

All I can offer is despite not being anyone's idea of an expert I do know how to get things to work because I can remember what I did last year . If anyone needs any help before the show or over the weekend that by all means either ask me via thread or PM or come and see me in whatever room I am allocated I will certainly do what I can . I always take along lots of extra Ethernet cables and this year will bring an extra Wireless router is case anyone needs it .

It may end up the blind leading the blind but at least you will have someone to share the round at the bar for those commiserating that there system is not working.