Trouble and strife

Newbies at Kegworth 2019

I took my auralic aries last year but the hotels wifi wouldn’t let me bridge the streamer with the control app. I ended up downloading loads of content onto my qobuz offline file the night before and then just using that with the odd stream Request via my mackbook. Not ideal and so this thread will be very helpful to me.

Super Wammer
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:52, Tony_J said:

This year I am considering doing away with the network altogether and driving USB output from my PC direct into the USB input of my miniDSP (i.e., using it as a DAC as well as a DSP), rather than driving it from my SBT. Seems sensible to cut out the various middle men...

I have done that too, with great success, and dare I say I thought the SQ was slightly better :sofa:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I have done that too, with great success, and dare I say I thought the SQ was slightly better :sofa:

That's fighting talk, Colin :D

Hello,  I'm interested in being a newbie this year and considering using Tidal as my source but I'm unsure of the 4G coverage at the hotel as I feel that hotel internet and wifi won't be reliable.  The plan is to use a wired network feeding a Raspberry Pi/ Allo.  Has anyone used 4G for their source?  I've only been to Scalford as a visitor so any comments welcome.  Thanks Ian 

Super Wammer

network dependent - I had phone on Vodafone last year and no signal ! couldn't even call the wife to tell her that we might be snowed in :D 

I am on O2 now, we used the hotel connection with a repeater and it was OK for Spotify

Edited by Maverick
ETA we are using Tidal / Roon this year so fingers crossed
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Maverick.  I'm happier now that you have tried streaming. I'm on Giffgaff (O2)- the coverage at Kegworth seems alright on their map but 4G maybe better as  I'm worried that the hotel internet wouldn't be able to cope with all the traffic likely during the show?

Super Wammer
Just now, aggers said:

Thanks Maverick.  I'm happier now that you have tried streaming. I'm on Giffgaff (O2)- the coverage at Kegworth seems alright on their map but 4G maybe better as  I'm worried that the hotel internet wouldn't be able to cope with all the traffic likely during the show?

I must be honest and say we did most locally (vinyl / server / CDP) but when we did no problem, this year no CDP and 1000s of ripped CDs + Tidal + Qobuz so am in the same boat if streaming is an issue! Also on GiffGaff ;) maybe worth thinking of a back up plan but Peter (admin) was talking to hotel about better wifi for 2019 so you would wait until makes an official announcement here: https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/128828-the-wam-hifi-show-2019-exhibitor-spreadsheet-now-live/?page=24

there is another thread on wifi here: https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/131548-advice-needed-on-wifi-at-the-hotel/

perhaps a mod would be kind enough to merge? @Tony_J @Bazzer

Super Wammer

oh and I do hope you exhibit, LOTS of fun and Kegworth hotel is better than Scalford as an exhibitor as well as for visitors

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

perhaps a mod would be kind enough to merge

Done :^

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Done :^

you have your uses - well as well as lugging heavy kit ;) 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

WARNING TO NEWBIES

As we are exhibiting in hotel bedrooms you will find that the limited power sockets in each room are always in the wrong place!

So strong advice is to bring plenty of working (ahem, Rick) extension leads! (others have been caught out by this in the past)

We will open a 'last minute panic' thread nearer the show ;) 

• Upvote 1

...and of course, the rooms are carpeted, so decent cable lifters are essentially equipment...:pop:

:run:

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

...and of course, the rooms are carpeted, so decent cable lifters are essentially equipment...:pop:

will the hotel be proving plans on how the carpet grippers are aligned?

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
On 24/01/2019 at 16:14, Tony_J said:

I'd best get preparing then. The only question is Pork and Bramley Apple or Pork and Caramalised Onion.?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Brigadoon said:

I'd best get preparing then. The only question is Pork and Bramley Apple or Pork and Caramalised Onion.?

Pork pies as cable lifters...? Genius!

• Haha 2