Trouble and strife

Newbies at Kegworth 2019

Hello Paul

I am enrolled on the exhibitor spreadsheet, I have been on it for from a earlier date. 

Super Wammer

ah so you are, row #12 - likely before I took control and locked it - sorry! 

do come and say hi!

If I'm going to use a raspberry pi I need to initially use a wired connection to then set up the wifi password, then control it with my tablet. Is this all feasible at the hotel?

Also if we're all on the same network we'd better be careful or we'll start changing tracks in someone else's room. Last thing I want is me turning up the wick for some early vocal work and then someone at the other end of the corridor changing the track to Metallica Creeping Death!!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

Last year after advice in advance of the show I used a WiFI extender connected to a spare router which created a netwoork in the room only . This was good enough to both set up my Raspberry Pi and have the Squeezeplay unit connected to the system . Have to admit there were so many other rooms on the Wifi network it was a little hit and miss but in the main it worked.

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2019 at 17:46, Lawrence001 said:

If I'm going to use a raspberry pi I need to initially use a wired connection to then set up the wifi password, then control it with my tablet. Is this all feasible at the hotel?

Also if we're all on the same network we'd better be careful or we'll start changing tracks in someone else's room. Last thing I want is me turning up the wick for some early vocal work and then someone at the other end of the corridor changing the track to Metallica Creeping Death!!

Unless your Pi or whatever had the same IP address this wouldn't happen.

Set up a smart phone as WiFi hotspot? Not sure if that would work?

Are you streaming your music via WiFi to the Pi? Surely better from a connected drive?

Edited by mikeyb

My phone can be a wifi hotspot but I've never tried it with my Pi is it possible to use that? As I wouldn't have a router I don't know how to program the Pi to pick up the hotspot.

Unless your Pi or whatever had the same IP address this wouldn't happen.

Set up a smart phone as WiFi hotspot? Not sure if that would work?

Are you streaming your music via WiFi to the Pi? Surely better from a connected drive?

What if they pick up the wrong IP added on the network, how would they know which pi/player was theirs?

I'm using a HDD with the Pi but the only way I know to select tracks is to use the Wifi on my phone or tablet. Streaming ability would be a bonus.

What if they pick up the wrong IP added on the network, how would they know which pi/player was theirs?I'm using a HDD with the Pi but the only way I know to select tracks is to use the Wifi on my phone or tablet. Streaming ability would be a bonus.
Aye, see what you mean re: IP, depending on your software you could set up a fixed IP address and limit the chances of another one having the same IP picked randomly which can happen I have a SOtM streamer that keeps getting allocated the same IP as one of my Amazon boxes, had to set it to fixed to avoid that clash.

What about a travel router

https://www.bestreviewer.co.uk/top-10-best-travel-router/

No idea how they work as I've only just found them but might be worth a look

Super Wammer

Last year, I took an old netgear router, which I connected to my oppo sonica dac, by ethernet cable, I never connected to the internet, and just used my phone or I-pad to control the hdd, I had connected to it.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Last year, I took an old netgear router, which I connected to my oppo sonica dac, by ethernet cable, I never connected to the internet, and just used my phone or I-pad to control the hdd, I had connected to it.

Same here.

I wonder if I'm being thick, firstly I assume the hotel has wifi in all the rooms, that's pretty standard these days isn't it? So if they'll let me plug my pi into their router for 2 mins I can manually input the wifi password then use it in my room.

If the wifi doesn't go right to the other end of the hotel then we just need to make sure those requiring wifi for their systems get rooms at the right end of the corridor.

Does that all sound correct?

Super Wammer

Apologies I looked this up earleir today on the archive for 2018 and the below is a response from Slavedata which gives you the details how to set up a private lan which has internet access and will workl with your Pi .

Just went and found this on the 2018 thread which gives real details .

If you want full Internet access bring a wireless router RJ45 to Internet, not DSL to Internet, and buy one of these only £12 at ebuyer.com

https://www.ebuyer.com/743232-edimax-n300-mini-range-extender-ew-7438rpn-mini

Use a downloaded app on your phone to configure it to pick up the Hotel wifi, then connect a cable from it to the Internet access RJ45 port on the router. This will give you your own private lan for an LMS environment and access to streaming apps.

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 2

That's that's really helpful. I'm thinking this year just to use my hard drive and not stream (as I only have a trial spotify service), so I'm hoping I won't need any new devices...?

This year I am considering doing away with the network altogether and driving USB output from my PC direct into the USB input of my miniDSP (i.e., using it as a DAC as well as a DSP), rather than driving it from my SBT. Seems sensible to cut out the various middle men...