Tune

Audiophile Servers.

19 minutes ago, Tune said:

I've got a cable lying about and it never drops out. My main source is actually a TASCAM DA3000 which I take the analogue out of into the analogue inputs of the Devialet. Would shock all audio buffs. Vinyl rips, recorded to dsd128. So A/D- D/A-A/D-D/A. Sound utterly remarkable and yet breaks all so called "rules". I ran out of following many of those years ago. The Devialets are good though. Simple. Do the job. Don't have character.

I used a TASCAM CD-200 as a digital source when I used CD's. Excellent unit, currently in my loft as I now have a Denon DN-500BD for playing DVDs to the TV and stereo, and CD's should I ever want to (which I don't). These pro units offer fantastic value for money, are very slim and very good.

I've never had an issue with the fact that Devialet Expert does A/D and D/A on phono sources. It would be heresy to some. I have a very good phono system and it sounds just as good through the Devialet phono stage as my previous expensive valve one. 

Devialet has a 2-way usb, so when playing records the A/D stream can be taken via usb to a laptop into Audacity or similar, and stuck on a server. Or you can just enjoy playing records.

Why pay £5,000 for a server? 

Why indeed. I am using a six year old Dell Precision server that I was given after it was replaced with a new server at work. I fitted a new 2TB hard disk and installed Vortexbox with LMS and the Linux version of Roon Core.

It sounds fabulous streaming Qobuz and my music library via Roon to a Devialet 440 Pro on wired Ethernet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Bokke said:

If you guys need proof that there is a difference in digital transports %(and power conditioners, cables for that matter) all you need to do is listen to the the sighted and pre salesman speech of how much better it sounds at persuit perfect system on YouTube. You can use your cheap mobile phone as a playback device and read all the comments of the differences as proof.

Word of warning: best to skip the first 10 mins of each video to avoid boredom/waffling and look past the elocution/gasping for air mid sentence.

Lastly: dont let the horrible habbit of smacking the lips distract you.

My favourite is the one where he tip-toes in mid song to place an audiophile weight on a Chord DAVE so you can hear the difference it makes.

2 hours ago, Warszawa said:

My favourite is the one where he tip-toes in mid song to place an audiophile weight on a Chord DAVE so you can hear the difference it makes.

Hahaha

I missed that one

I'll check it out

This is one of the reasons the Yamaha CDN301 is an excellent bit of kit. CD Network steamer, for around £200-250 with Airplay , optional Wifi and bluetooth. I've compared it to an Auralic Aries with just the network function pulling files from my NAS (all wired) into the same DAC, and SQ is identical. 

Raspberry Pi, tophat DAC, case, fancy PSU =  £150 max. Top hats come in all flavours of chips, connections and spec.

NAS or HDD of your choice, nice thing about NAS is you can hide it somewhere as long as you can see it on your network.

Same Pi setup with a DAC of your choice.

Boutique streamer? Most of them are mundane components in a fancy box.. 

And no, I'm not Chumpy! ;-)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strider said:

And no, I'm not Chumpy! ;-)

I can make sense of Chumpy:doh:

(but that is, sound advice) see what I did there?

I do miss the old chap9_9

Edited by Man in a van
missing space
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Man in a van said:

I can make sense of Chumpy:doh:

(but that is, sound advice) see what I did there?

I do miss the old chap9_9

Ha puntastic! I miss his erudite posts too.....:S