Just OneMore

New Preamp, Croft or Tron?

The world is your oyster at around what I guess is the budget.

I like Croft. I think it's fair value and has a lovely 'British' look and feel. I have to say, however, sonically the Tron is better in my opinion.

My list of pre amps that I've owned or borrowed has covered about every flavour. Whilst noting your first comment, if you could find one in range, a Kondo M7. But you won't (find one in range). Out of everything else, the Tron is superb, but not exactly 'value' for what it is. If you could find one (as someone else mentioned) an SJS Arcadia, although first, you'd need a separate phono stage, and second, no bugger ever sells theirs. There is a reason for that...

The other one that everyone seems to forget is the Puresound L300. Somewhat 'challenging' aesthetics in my humble opinion, but right up with some of the very best sonically. Again, however, no phono.

Frankly, if you can find one sensibly priced, you won't regret the Tron. But then you'd probably not regret a Croft R either. It's worth adding that in view of the 'value', you might find the Croft easier to move on if you ever wanted to.

Having had the tron in system for a few months now I would say it is pretty effortless with all music and although my opinion of Croft 25r is up there as my previous favourite item the tron eclipses it .... transients a bit sharper and more space around instruments as well as larger soundstage. Both are incredible value for money I think (esp second hand) and build quality is exceptional .... 

Playing little simz now - most wont like and just had lambchops new album on .... I am loving music too much and I should be out on my bike in this spring sun.....

with my atc P1 power I can barely get volume above a 1/4 into my tannoy Arden ..... makes me think small class-a 30w monos or SET might be exceptional .....

*must not buy anything more*

• Like 1

As a 25R owner for 5 years this is really interesting to hear. I think my personal limit surrounding spend and the law of diminishing returns ends with the 25R, I couldn't  spend more. If there's one pre I'd love to try/hear though it's the Tron. Same sort of design and manufacture philosophy really, and one which really appeals to me. I am exceedingly happy with the Croft though.

Presumably you've seen this...….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tron-Convergence-50W-Solid-State-Power-Amplifier-MINT/113697507849?hash=item1a78e64a09:g:ZPUAAOSwBlRcdCtK&frcectupt=true

Sorry, just spotted the last line of your post ;-)

Super Wammer

Thanks for the update , wonder how the torn seven would sound with that convergence , I believe it has a separate convergence pre which it would be interesting to have thoughts on

I have seen that tempting .....

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Presumably you've seen this...…

I'm not convinced the Convergence would be that different to the ATC, but I might well be wrong.

However, Tron pre, Ardens and tube SET... That would be very interesting, and very different to what you have.

35 minutes ago, rabski said:

I'm not convinced the Convergence would be that different to the ATC

I thought that - ATC is pretty amazing and almost balanced split mono design and AB as well .....SET would be a chancer idea but may be the magic all wammers seek

Over the dacades, I've had amplifiers with all types of topology and design (with the former the thing that by far and away makes the greatest difference). From kilowatt solid state to just a handful of watts. I've ended up with what I like almost the best, which is SET with big tubes. The 845s in this config give around 25 watts per channel, which is more than enough to drive the Living Voice at 'sensible' levels.

The only 'end game' for me is to finish the 300B PP that's actually now progressing, albeit slowly.

This has to be a 'try before you buy' thing though. The 'flsvour' of an SET is certainly not to everyone's taste and I fully understand that. t has surprising levels of clarity and detail, and it's not the pipe and slippers some might expect. However, it's certainly not a clinical and 'accurate' presentation.

I know that. I've measured it :D