Little_Wong

Disable Spotify Connect

So I had a party at my place over the weekend and several friends hooked up to the wifi and played some tunes over my Linn and Sonos systems.

Forward a couple of days later and just gone midnight my Linn fires up and starts blaring out music via spotify. I try to turn it off for it only to come back again with the volume raised. I reduce the volume for it to be cranked back up again... only solution was to power down my ASDM.

So a bit of research into spotify connect and reading on the Sonos forums, spotify connect will STILL be active by any user no longer on your network if they've not selected another device to cast to. As it's cloud based it'll still be able to cast to your system until told otherwise.

Now this is not something ideal at all considering others will be able to still cast to my system

I've looked but cannot find any functionality that will allow me to block spotify connect. Tidal, Qobuz and Tunein all have an enable/disable function in settings so why isn't there one for spotify?

Apart from never sharing my wifi network again, is there any way around this issue?

There is a Visible setting in Sources, but AFAIK this only changes it's visibility to Kazoo and control points. Same as UPnP AV and NetAux - they aren't actually disabled, jut invisible.

Does rebooting the router help? These connections may only be reset sfter a reboot.

Or try a different IP address for the DSM?

You can only access Spotify with the Spotify connect app, which you can download to any compatible device on the network (I use the Windows and Android versions). This controls which device is playing; I have found that you usually have to have a track playing before you can switch devices. Obviously, you need to set up a free account, so that your instance of Spotify can take over the network; once you do this, you can log out and Spotify will not access any device.

David

35 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

You can only access Spotify with the Spotify connect app, which you can download to any compatible device on the network (I use the Windows and Android versions). This controls which device is playing; I have found that you usually have to have a track playing before you can switch devices. Obviously, you need to set up a free account, so that your instance of Spotify can take over the network; once you do this, you can log out and Spotify will not access any device.

David

So does this mean if I connect my ADSM to my spotify account it essentially boots the other user off?

This assumes the ADSM can only deal with one connection at a time and not multiple.

Will give this a try with my wife's spotify account.

1 hour ago, timster said:

There is a Visible setting in Sources, but AFAIK this only changes it's visibility to Kazoo and control points. Same as UPnP AV and NetAux - they aren't actually disabled, jut invisible.

Does rebooting the router help? These connections may only be reset sfter a reboot.

Or try a different IP address for the DSM?

It'll be easy enough to change IP address as I've currently assigned a static one to my ADSM. I'll do that and also what David has suggested.

Reading the spotify forums I'm far from the only one with similar issues. They still haven't fixed the issue for over 4 years since they introduced spotify connect. Surely it would be really easy of them to just let the connection expire after a given time if off the home network. There's stories where people can still control devices that they sold on...

Scary stuff.

On 04/12/2018 at 10:08, Little_Wong said:

So does this mean if I connect my ADSM to my spotify account it essentially boots the other user off?

This assumes the ADSM can only deal with one connection at a time and not multiple.

Will give this a try with my wife's spotify account.

One can always be wrong, but that is my understanding. Given that there are different levels of Spotify account, it is difficult to see how it could be otherwise.

To mke sure, you can always log out of the 'wrong' account first.

David

My wife's spotify now controls my ADSM again.

I've changed the IP address, so that's as much as I can do for now.

Whether this works I don't know until I can test to see if things work when I get a friend to come around who has spotify premium and see what happens if they connect and then see if my wife's account can force them off.

Only problem that'll be left is that my wife will have control where ever she is. The daft thing about spotify connect is that it'll find all devices when you connect to the network and list them as casting devices.

This is the reason why I would like a function that disables spotify on my DSM just like you can with tidal, qobuz and tunein.

I don't have Spotify, so I can't tell if this works, but if you have a Linn account, you can - under sources - change the visibility of Spotify. Worth trying maybe?

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-06 um 16.55.17.png

That's only visibility to control points :ph34r:

It doesn't prevent sources pushing data.

Edited by timster
  • Like 1

Linn help desk got back to me and advised the only way to clear Spotify connections is to restore my DSM to break any existing connections. That’s done now and I will  not allow anyone in future to connect to my network.

Not sure how much of a cyber security risk this is as somebody can control my DSM outside of my network without my control is a red flag to me. Yes I can control settings of certain devices remotely away from my home by various cloud based services, but these are all by using my authorised and approved accounts.

I also blame apple and it’s ease to allow other devices to connect to my network...

• Upvote 1